Matarrita happy at NYCFC but doesn't hide intentions to go to Europe

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
http://www.univision.com/deportes/f...-league-soccer-es-una-liga-que-me-sienta-bien

Translation here:

TL;DR he feels better in the 4-3-3 because he can attack more, I don't think we'll see the 3-4-3 again. He also isn't hiding his intentions of moving to Europe eventually.

PURCHASE, NY - When one makes a mental selection of the best on the left side of the MLS quickly the names of players like Waylon Francis, Maynor Figueroa or Ashley Cole appear, among others.

But in New York shines a new star in that area of the pitch. Rónald Matarrita, the young Costa Rican who soon turns 22, adding points to dethrone who until now were the reference of that position in the league. In just ten weeks of competition Matarrita quickly is starting to gain international prestige that he came looking for in Major League Soccer. The Tico is a peculiar case. Adaptation to the football league, the environment of the locker Room New York City FC -Why not - and the pressure that one imagines of the Bronx, that was literally automatic.

"As a professional player, you have to be willing to play in any environment," explains the Central American, downplaying its unusual attitude. His MLS debut was much better than what he and NYCFC expected. And today is one of the highlights of the group led by Patrick Vieira. "The most important thing is the team," said Matarrita with total conviction. "If the team plays well individual work also is noted. I always try to be 100% on my body and my mental state. "

The ex Liga Deportiva Alajuelense player says he feels much more comfortable since late April, when New York drew 1-1 against Montreal Impact at Yankee Stadium. The match against the Canadian team somehow marked the end of the stage of tactical experiments in the defense of City Football Group franchise.

"Since that game changed our thinking. We have a new idea work," argued Matarrita. New York City FC defend in a defined way with a fairly classic line, four players, leaving aside the three effective experimental system that Vieira used more than once at the beginning of the season. "Now I feel more comfortable, have more freedom to go on the attack."

"He is a young and energetic player," said Vieira before the consultation of FutbolMLS.com. "I like to have as much offensive vocation (work rate?) that always think about going on the attack. But we still have to improve his defensive tasks, "he advised the head coach NYCFC. "What we want from him is to be part of the construction of our plays from behind, and from there forward. Therein lies its strength. "Rónald Matarrita was included in the ideal team Week 10 of Major League Soccer. The second recognition such that the Costa Rican received since the beginning of the season. "I am grateful to God and my teammates," pronounced the 22 of the New York squad. "Also with the coaching staff, which has given me all the confidence to start in this league can be a hundred percent."

How did your game to reach the MLS? "Here football is a little more dynamic than in Costa Rica," said Matarrita. "That's one of my greatest qualities and I think that's why this league suits me." In the race, the defense is virtually unstoppable for his rivals. A physical challenges the break, when tico sum is necessarily a great domain and a good reading of the game.

The left sider does not hide his desire to play sometime in the Old Continent. "But before I go to Europe to do a very good job here," admits Matarrita. "In Costa Rica I was having a good performance. I left my country at the right time. I came here to work hard, to make me a name and also to contribute to a team that did not have a very good season last year. "

The two top models in its position on the left side play in the first division of Spain. "In his time my reference was Jordi Alba (FC Barcelona), I think it was the player to follow during the World Cup. Now see Marcelo (Real Madrid) and his plays, "he says tico of NYCFC. "Reaching the level at which they estpan would be important for me," he muses.

Despite being almost a newcomer Rónald Matarrita is among the top players of his new team. "I am pleased the way they train," said Patrick Vieira after the last hard workout of the week. "He is a player who gives 200% every day. He wants to win every game that you have to play, even in training. And it has positive attitude, "said the former world champion with France team.​

Seriously though... I'd be pretty upset if we were acquiring players that didn't have the ambition to ultimately move on to a bigger club. With the exception of our DPs, I expect each of our players to jump at a chance, if one arises, to make a move to Europe. The caveat being that it'd have to be a top league, because moving laterally doesn't make sense unless gobs of cash were being thrown around.

meh....this is all MLS and all the non top euro league world anyway, they wall want to go to the top leagues

Reactions: Kjbert
I was just about to post the same thing. It's all good being the stepping stone to Europe until Mata leaves us this summer and we are all rioting
I'd hate to lose him in less than a year, but depending on the transfer amount, and what it could mean to the team's acquisition of a new player AND how well Martinez can fill the spot, it could be a tough, but possible, pill to swallow.

What if the transfer amount made it possible to bring in a "top" forward and Martinez could more than hold his own at LB?

Reactions: JCMore
My question is what would NYCFC get in return for sending up and coming players like Mata to the big leagues? We we get more lampards and Pirlos? Or would we get GAM or TAM? Each situation would be different and I get that, I'm just curious about what the upside would be for the club (other than having excellent youth talent for a year or two that kills consistency in a line up)

My question is what would NYCFC get in return for sending up and coming players like Mata to the big leagues? We we get more lampards and Pirlos? Or would we get GAM or TAM? Each situation would be different and I get that, I'm just curious about what the upside would be for the club (other than having excellent youth talent for a year or two that kills consistency in a line up)
I think for a while, it's the nature of the beast. Buy low and sell high to stockpile the Allocation $$ that comes with transfers and then use that to buy down the salaries of more elite players. It's really an environment that Gordon Gecko would thrive in.

Last edited:

This is one of the best questions on here in a months.

The current financial structure of MLS actually deters teams from selling on players. Let's say he goes for $10 Million next summer. Great fee. The majority of the money CAN NOT be used on transfers and to buy down salaries. The majority of what NYCFC receive vs. MLS' cut can only be used for infrastructure spending. The bad news is that CFG has no issue making infrastructure investments in a training facility, youth program etc.

I'm sure Colorado, New England and all the other clubs run on a shoe string budget are thrilled when guys like Matarrita and Yedlin get sold and the majority of the money goes back into the MLS coffers. Fuck them

It would be great to have him around for the long haul, but if not, we can get real benefit from selling on players. It's one of the few ways a team can get an edge given all the salary restrictions. We get two-thirds of the fee up to $1 million in the form of GAM. In a league with an effective salary cap of $4.46 million ($3.36 million plus $800K of TAM), adding $667K of GAM gives you an extra 15% to spend over the other teams. If you can get to a place where you are doing a deal like that every year, it can be huge.

And yes, the limit is $1 million, but most of the transfer fees paid for MLS players is not a whole lot higher than that level.

Hoping that he stays for 2 seasons then moves on to MCFC. Hes one of the best defenders in the league imo and if he got to the level where he could get a transfer to MCFC than every good young central/south american player will all want to come to NYCFC.

It would be great to have him around for the long haul, but if not, we can get real benefit from selling on players. It's one of the few ways a team can get an edge given all the salary restrictions. We get two-thirds of the fee up to $1 million in the form of GAM. In a league with an effective salary cap of $4.46 million ($3.36 million plus $800K of TAM), adding $667K of GAM gives you an extra 15% to spend over the other teams. If you can get to a place where you are doing a deal like that every year, it can be huge.

And yes, the limit is $1 million, but most of the transfer fees paid for MLS players is not a whole lot higher than that level.

Here's the issue - anyone being sold to Europe is going to go for multiples of $1 million. Miazga and Yedlin both went for big numbers. Their teams were only able to recoup $667,000 of their transfer fee. Do you think NYRB would rather have Miazga or Aurelion Collin and $667,000 right now? Same goes for Yedlin and Seattle.

If you have a special talent and you sell him on in MLS, you get screwed. We're not talking about selling a guy for $1.5 Million to Liga MX here.

Reactions: gbservis and Ulrich
This is consistent with his initial interviews upon signing where he made very clear that this was an important step for him to get to Europe. The only thing that has changed in the interim is that he has thus far demonstrated that he has the talent to make that move, maybe even to a top(ish) tier. I'm all for it, as long as it is not a mid-season move.

This may become a theme for us over the years given the strength of our global scouting network. We will have some misses, but we will also have home run young international signings, probably (hopefully) more than many/most MLS teams. Singles or doubles may result in players who impress less and stay longer, but I will still always root for the long ball.

This is consistent with his initial interviews upon signing where he made very clear that this was an important step for him to get to Europe. The only thing that has changed in the interim is that he has thus far demonstrated that he has the talent to make that move, maybe even to a top(ish) tier. I'm all for it, as long as it is not a mid-season move.

This may become a theme for us over the years given the strength of our global scouting network. We will have some misses, but we will also have home run young international signings, probably (hopefully) more than many/most MLS teams. Singles or doubles may result in players who impress less and stay longer, but I will still always root for the long ball.

He's a better player right now than Deandre Yedlin and Yedlin is a starting RB in the Prem. No reason he couldn't play LB for West Brom or Swansea.

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH
I hope he stays around for 2-4 years, but if he moves up ... good for him. He's talented and deserves the chance to play at the highest level he can. The only thing we can ask is for him not to strain his calf or injure his pelvis while he's here.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Here's the issue - anyone being sold to Europe is going to go for multiples of $1 million. Miazga and Yedlin both went for big numbers. Their teams were only able to recoup $667,000 of their transfer fee. Do you think NJRB would rather have Miazga or Aurelion Collin and $667,000 right now? Same goes for Yedlin and Seattle.

If you have a special talent and you sell him on in MLS, you get screwed. We're not talking about selling a guy for $1.5 Million to Liga MX here.

It's not the money - it's the ability to spend the money on the roster. I will grant you that the $1 million limit, which is a few years old at least, is probably too low. But, it's not a small benefit - especially if you are looking at losing the player anyway once his contract is up.

There have only been a couple of big transfers in the last couple of years: Miazga (E4.6 million) and Gonzalez (E3.8 million). The rest have been less than E3.0 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Here's the issue - anyone being sold to Europe is going to go for multiples of $1 million. Miazga and Yedlin both went for big numbers. Their teams were only able to recoup $667,000 of their transfer fee. Do you think NJRB would rather have Miazga or Aurelion Collin and $667,000 right now? Same goes for Yedlin and Seattle.

Also don't forget in the case of Mata NYCFC agreed to a sell on clause with his old team as part of the transfer negotiations. It was one of the terms that held up the transfer process. I don't think the split was reported but it was reported that NYCFC did agree to a sell on clause with his Costa Rican team.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert