Matt Dunn And Akira Fitzgerald On Waivers

pastofthefuture

Registered
May 23, 2015
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/06/24/new-york-city-fc-place-matt-dunn-akira-fitzgerald-waivers

NEW YORK |
New York City FC have placed midfielder Matt Dunn and goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald on waivers, the Club announced today.

Dunn made one appearance for the Club this season, coming on as a first-half substitute and playing 52 minutes in a 1-0 loss at Chicago on April 24. The 21-year-old was selected second overall by New York City FC in the 2014 MLS Dispersal Draft from Chivas USA on Nov. 19, 2014.

Fitzgerald originally joined New York City FC on a free transfer on Dec. 11, 2014. The 27-year-old spent three weeks on loan with the Carolina RailHawks from mid-May until early June.

New York City FC would like to thank Matt and Akira for their time with the Club and wish them both the best in the future.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...r-new-york-city-fc-major-league-soccer-062415

Regardless of whether Pirlo relocates to New York, the arrivals of Villa and Frank Lampard have added star quality to Jason Kreis' side, a point not lost on goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald.

He said: "We'll have all these unbelievable players. It's just a real honor to be part of the club with them and I'm obviously really excited about it all. We'll see what happens."

I thought Dunn was going to be a decent player but apparently not. Not really surprised about Fitzgerald with Meara and the other guy backing up Saunders.

Good luck to them.

Reactions: Kjbert
So, seeing as we waived the #2 pick in the dispersal draft who only played half a game, is it OMG WORST PICK EVER #FIREKREIS, or proof that MLS is garbage and there were no good players to be had in the dispersal draft?

And yes, it's a binary, you have to pick one.

I'm guessing with Dunn the decision had to be more based on what they were seeing in practice since they clearly weren't willing to give him game time. Fitzgerald makes sense since we had 4 keepers on the roster, even though one of them is on loan and made of glass.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...r-new-york-city-fc-major-league-soccer-062415

Regardless of whether Pirlo relocates to New York, the arrivals of Villa and Frank Lampard have added star quality to Jason Kreis' side, a point not lost on goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald.

He said: "We'll have all these unbelievable players. It's just a real honor to be part of the club with them and I'm obviously really excited about it all. We'll see what happens."

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19069-1433599817-5.gif

Well this is awkward...

USL loanees still take up salary cap space, so no.
I thought they didn't take a roster slot if you didn't retain the right to recall. Just make the loan season long.

Fitzgerald is no problem. But I don't see how they waive Dunny, who made nothing and was a bright spot at Chivas.

Fucking Kreis and his constant fellating of RSL. Fucking ditch Wingert, Grabavoy and Velasquez. That's close to $400000. Dunn made like $60k.

Dunn is done... too soon? Just kidding, I actually like the kid and I really hope he does well. I am sure he will sign on somewhere soon. I think it was also telling neither of them got any time vs Cosmo's. Sounds like this was the plan for awhile.

Reactions: leilanikali420
But can I just add that we should have FUCKING TAKEN MARKY DELGADO!!!!! He was a starter for the U-20's in the World Cup and wasn't that great but a national team starter... and oh yeah he was a homegrown so he could have been loaned out and had ZERO FUCKING COUNT AGAINST THE CAP!!!!! FUCKING IDIOTS!!!! FUCK!

But can I just add that we should have FUCKING TAKEN MARKY DELGADO!!!!! He was a starter for the U-20's in the World Cup and wasn't that great but a national team starter... and oh yeah he was a homegrown so he could have been loaned out and had ZERO FUCKING COUNT AGAINST THE CAP!!!!! FUCKING IDIOTS!!!! FUCK!

Delgado was painful to watch for the U20s. I watched every game in the u20 world cup and he was the worst player for us every game. Only reason he started is because Russell Cannouse got hurt right before the tournament. He was a turnover machine. While he probably would be better than Dunn, I don't need any more players to curse out. We already have Wingert, Grabevoy, and Brovsky, lol.

A little surprised our first two cuts were Americans. I guess they want to try to develop Johansen.

That list of international guys again is: Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Nemec, Iraola, Facey, Angelino, Johansen, Calle, Alvarez.

Look out Alvarez. Johansen is kind of locked in now with only two other keepers on the roster. Nemec also on the hot seat if we bring in another forward. I assume Calle is on the mend and won't get axed.

EDIT: Side note, can anyone tell me how we got to 10 international spots? I know started with 8, and then we traded for one from DC United. What about the other one?

Last edited:
Reactions: SayWhat44
Delgado was painful to watch for the U20s. I watched every game in the u20 world cup and he was the worst player for us every game. Only reason he started is because Russell Cannouse got hurt right before the tournament. He was a turnover machine. While he probably would be better than Dunn, I don't need any more players to curse out. We already have Wingert, Grabevoy, and Brovsky, lol.
Yeah I saw the games too and he was brutal but it would have been nice to have a homegrown for the salary cap. Maybe he develops into Jacabson lol.

A little surprised our first two cuts were Americans. I guess they want to try to develop Johansen.

That list of international guys again is: Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Nemec, Iraola, Facey, Angelino, Johansen, Calle, Alvarez.

Look out Alvarez. Johansen is kind of locked in now with only two other keepers on the roster. Nemec also on the hot seat if we bring in another forward. I assume Calle is on the mend and won't get axed.
Agreed I like Alvarez he's a good veteran backup but he's low man on the totem pole. Nemec... is anemic.

I don't think there was anyway they would have cut Johansen. Younger than Fitzgerald for one, and two, he is only here because of CFG. That is not to say he is not a talent because I really liked what I saw but I don't see anyway NYCFC would waive Johansen