Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
MNUFC 2
NYCFC 1

Ben Sweat messed up big, big time.

Rodney Wallace scores for the first time since May 2017.

I would have rather watched something else.

Ben Sweat 2, NYCFC 1.

So that is two games this year (at Minnesota and at Chicago) where Sweat has literally lost the game by himself against non-playoff teams.

Ofori and ITS looked good. Not sure Amagat could start for a USL team. If they wanted an old spanish guy that hadn't played in 2 years they should have called up Iraola at least he was a top flight player for a significant portion of his career.

Reactions: Sabo
We are so predictable. No gall up the middle. Just waste our cutting wings so far our on the flanks trying combo play 40 yards from goal. With two of the best CMs in the league, we've taken the ball off their feet, further away from goal, to guys that are meant to run at defenses, who now cross to nobody. Going from the best to one of the worst teams in the league -- with our talent -- is no mistake. Dome just doesn't have it to be a head coach.

We saw early in the game, when Ring was playing balls through to Berget, we could get behind the Minny D. We got away from it entirely after 10 minutes. In the last 10, Isi started carrying the ball from the wing towards the penalty marker instead of down the line and we got more good chances then than in the previous 70 minutes. It was the same case on Wednesday, passing through the middle got us two goals in minutes.

It's such a high-school plan that kills any creativity from our guys, it's a disgrace. We have had a lot to play for over the last 3 months and we've only fallen deeper and deeper into a hole when all he needed to do was to keep the status quo. Was PV's style not "the City way"? It sure looked it. We were told it'd be more of the same and we fell for it.

Ben Sweat 2, NYCFC 1.

So that is two games this year (at Minnesota and at Chicago) where Sweat has literally lost the game by himself against non-playoff teams.
But, but his salary is low so that means it’s ok to make mistakes guys! He has value because of his contract! His constant screw ups are ok because of all of this! He is what he is guys! And he’s domestic!

Lets be real... this entire team has been lost for months now, but those glaring mistakes tonight and @ Chicago cost us 6 points. You can’t have that if we want to compete at the level all our expectations are at. Management has done nothing about this forever.

We stink.

I wasn’t really expecting much considering the starting XI, so I’m not that upset by the result. (Also because I am too busy stressing about college football right now.)

I am fat and old and slow and my skills have deteriorated to nothing and still would have marked better than Ibeagha on the first goal.

The ONLY good thing about that was Rodney finally scoring. Ugly as it looked. Oh and Isi at least tried to create.

I generally think this board usually exaggerates Sweat’s culpability, but tonight he earned any scorn directed his way.

He wasn’t even close to our worst player tonight, but in what universe does Amagat rate 90 minutes when we are down 2-0 for the entire second half.

Tinner has lost his mojo going forward. It’s mystifying.

Castellanos was effective taking guys on. The one time he did it.

Ring was invisible most of the night. He was up too high. Maxi comes back for the ball and without him doing that we had nothing in the center of the park. Ofori contributes to our attack even less than Amagat does. Oof!

Berget serves a purpose, but his first touch is so unpredictable that it’s impossible to trust balls into him and if nobody is making runs to be available for a layoff or a flick he becomes irrelevant.

Ibeagha shares some blame on the first goal, but otherwise was a wall and if he hadn’t been, it would have been worse.

We are predictable on offense and prone to howlers on D. That’s a toxic combination.

The only thing that will make you more upset about this game will be Torrent's post-game quotes.

“We had 70-percent percent of the ball,” noted Torrent [of the first half]. “In the first half we controlled all the time, but we made two mistakes, which happens in soccer and we paid for out mistakes.”

“I’m disappointed by the result, not by the game,” said Torrent. “Maybe this was the best game that New York City played away, maybe. My opinion today, is that New York City played really well here in Minnesota. Minnesota played aggressively with us. At the end, we lost the game. That’s not good for us.

The performance for me was good. Better than Montreal where we drew the game, and tonight where we lost. It’s not easy to explain to people and our fans what happened. I prefer to always talk about what happened on the field, not the result. Because the result is easy. You win the game, it’s okay. You lose the game, everything is wrong.”

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mi...ace-sees-minnesota-united-past-new-york-city/

Listen, if he's just saying this in public to try to assuage the fans, fine. But if he actually believes what he's saying, then we're in even bigger trouble than I realized.

Reactions: adam and The Toe
The only thing that will make you more upset about this game will be Torrent's post-game quotes.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mi...ace-sees-minnesota-united-past-new-york-city/

Listen, if he's just saying this in public to try to assuage the fans, fine. But if he actually believes what he's saying, then we're in even bigger trouble than I realized.

This on par with Jason Kreis level of post game presser dickheadedness.
giphy.gif

Scroll up. The entire season is broken.
It's not broken, but it's bad communication and a stupid design decision. The "W" switches side to side to sit next to the team that won. Scroll down and see. If the home team wins the W is on the left; if Away it's on the right. If it is a tie there is no W.
It's stupid because this is not a neutral app. It's an NYCFC app. Just show a W for wins and L for losses. With this arrangement, the W doesn't really add anything. You can see who won by looking at which side the NYC logo is on and checking the score, or looking at which side NYC is on and looking for the W. Either way you have to process 2 pieces of info for each game to see who won. But if you want to quickly scan and check "when was the last time we won consecutive games" (it's been too long), or "when did we most recently lose 2 in a row" (this month) you have to go game-by-game and process multiple pieces of info for every game.
Also, it confuses everyone. I too thought it was broken and reported it to fan services months ago (they never answered). Eventually I figured it out. But good design doesn't confuse people and doesn't require users to break through their expectations. It works with users' expectations. It also should make it easier to acquire information. The W adds nothing in this arrangement.

It is a perfect example of bad design that passed muster because, technically, it is accurate, if you understand it. But when design confuses users it's just bad. The app would be better if they eliminated the W. It would be even better f they used both W and L. Maybe, if we dream, and believe in Tinkerbell, they might even use a D.

What really gets my goat is we all saw LB as a position that needed addressing in the Summer transfer window. It wasn't a maybe, it was the TOP of all our lists. Yet all we got was Amagat and Tati. I bet we could have had our pick of 2nd tier Spanish LBs at the end of their careers or 19 year old South Americans who need lots of development to put back there if the FO saw it the same way.

What really gets my goat is we all saw LB as a position that needed addressing in the Summer transfer window. It wasn't a maybe, it was the TOP of all our lists. Yet all we got was Amagat and Tati. I bet we could have had our pick of 2nd tier Spanish LBs at the end of their careers or 19 year old South Americans who need lots of development to put back there if the FO saw it the same way.
Yeah, the thing that makes me most concerned about CFG/FO full commitment to this team is our last two summer windows. Off season signings have been solid, in season there has been zero effort.