Mix

Ulrich

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Mix not starting he last two games has been baffling, and it doesn't seem like Vieira is the type to change up if the play is getting results; especially since the position he'd play is currently manned by Lopez, and while Lopez is toying with an ejection, he has been on the field/started for a win and tie.

So is Mix in the doghouse, or is there more to it? What if with the US team soon to be chosen for the Copa, Vieira doesn't want Mix on the field showing well as a starter so that he won't be picked? Mix has recently been more on the bench than a starter for true MNT, so maybe he figures the best way to stay in NYC and help when other teams are short handed, is to sit the bench now? He wants to play, and missing his club to sit the bench would leave him open to coming back to a midfield that doesn't have a spot for him. Just a thought....

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Mix not starting he last two games has been baffling, and it doesn't seem like Vieira is the type to change up if the play is getting results; especially since the position he'd play is currently manned by Lopez, and while Lopez is toying with an ejection, he has been on the field/started for a win and tie.

So is Mix in the doghouse, or is there more to it? What if with the US team soon to be chosen for the Copa, Vieira doesn't want Mix on the field showing well as a starter so that he won't be picked? Mix has recently been more on the bench than a starter for true MNT, so maybe he figures the best way to stay in NYC and help when other teams are short handed, is to sit the bench now? He wants to play, and missing his club to sit the bench would leave him open to coming back to a midfield that doesn't have a spot for him. Just a thought....

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Vieira refuse to play him in half a dozen games in order to discourage him from becoming unavailable for half a dozen games?

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Vieira refuse to play him in half a dozen games in order to discourage him from becoming unavailable for half a dozen games?
Because he's still playing and contributing now.

-Edit- Mix just needs to not start one or two more games for Klinnsman not to pick him.

Last edited:
PV may be looking at it as a Mix v. Bravo decision, and Bravo allows Pirlo to push up like he has the last two. Not saying I agree, it just may be the tactical consideration.

Reactions: Kjbert
I was also thinking about the whole Lopez thing. It seems a stretch, but maybe this is linked with the Khiry-Lopez ban a few games ago. They fucked up on social media, and got hammered by PV with a 1 match ban. Maybe this lit a fire under their asses over the next few weeks. Maybe they trained harder in practice. Maybe PV feels bad for his reaction. Maybe all of this leads up to Khiry and Lopez getting starting time two matches in a row, and maybe it's just a coincidence that Mix was the one to take a seat.

I think the Pirlo and Bravo combo has been crucial in PV's eyes the last few games (needs to play Pirlo + cant play Pirlo without his bodyguard). That leaves just the one midfield spot with flexibility to slot Lopez in after all that shit I mentioned above took place.

...or maybe he just thinks Lopez is a better choice than Mix, which would give me Kreis nightmares.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think Vieira identified the problem of the past few weeks to be lack of effort and hustle. For better or worse, Lopez is one of our biggest hustle players and isn't afraid to go after people. So he plugged him into the lineup.

Mix is just a casualty of that decision. Pirlo isn't getting benched, and Vieira has determined that Bravo is more important for the unit than Mix is. By subbing Mix into both of the last two games, I think he's showing that Mix is still the top bench option at multiple positions. We just happen to only have three midfielders in our formation.

I thought about creating a similar thread. On the surface I see it as supremely strange to bench Mix for Mikey "what's a guy gotta do to get a red card" Lopez. (It will catch on.) OTOH I see the conspiracy theory as far from Occam's razor. My take:
  1. AHABS by ktdNYCFC ktdNYCFC PV likes the Pirlo/Bravo combo.
  2. Lopez brings more fight/intensity than Mix.
  3. Don't fix what ain't broke.
My guess is Lopez gets one more start, picks up his fifth consecutive yellow, and is suspended for the next game. Then Mix gets 90 to earn his spot back.

#mobilepost

I think PV views Mix as a clever distributing 6. I think PV thinks that there is too much overlap with Pirlo and not enough cover when you move Pirlo upfield. PV thinks that Bravo makes more sense. As for Mikey, PV thinks that he is grittier and more defensively deft than Mix, does not clash with Pirlo as he is far from the QB mold, and provides additional cover. Again, that is what I think PV is thinking, I miss Mix.

Slightly off-topic, but the MLS website lineup page had Iraola listed as a midfielder. He did indeed come on for Pirlo, but I'm not sure if he came on in midfield or just an additional D. I think I saw him playing out on the right once he came on, in his usual RB role. Is it just a typo that Iraola was listed as a mid? Or is PV toying with the idea of playing Iraola as another CDM-type?
upload_2016-5-1_17-22-46.png
upload_2016-5-1_17-26-48.png

Reactions: FootyLovin
Slightly off-topic, but the MLS website lineup page had Iraola listed as a midfielder. He did indeed come on for Pirlo, but I'm not sure if he came on in midfield or just an additional D. I think I saw him playing out on the right once he came on, in his usual RB role. Is it just a typo that Iraola was listed as a mid? Or is PV toying with the idea of playing Iraola as another CDM-type?
View attachment 4804
View attachment 4805
He has played mid most of his career.

View attachment 4804
View attachment 4805
When iraola came on we went to 5 in the back. White shifted inside and iraola played rb.

He has played mid most of his career.
How drunk are you? His La Liga career puts him at 8 appearances as a mid. Like all time. Not one year.

But he did have about one appearance a year there. So I guess he has played there "most of his career" in that he's shown up there most years. But for real. He's always been known as a fullback. Why just make up things?

I mean, this is all verifiable. Why do you espouse something as fact when you don't know? I won't pretend to have watched all of his Bilbao matches. But I know what was reported. And I can look at his career stats. Everyone else can, too. You just made that up, said it authoritatively, and expect people to accept it.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong. But the entirety of the internet says I'm not. What's your basis?

Mix lacks athleticism. I don't like Lopez's skill, but he's athletic. We lack athleticism outside of Matarrita and Shelton. Lopez is able to play box to box around Pirlo. Unfortunately, Mix can't do that.

I'm not thrilled about it, but it's the right move.

PV had been trying different players in different positions once this winless streak started. He has benched every midfielder/attacker apart from Villa at some point. We played well against Montreal with Lopez playing so stuck with the same team(apart from White in as Allen got injured). We played well and this time we won so i would expect he sticks with it again.
Mix is clearly the better player but at the moment this team is getting results, when we dont play well/lopez plays badly i would expect Mix to come back in

Because he's still playing and contributing now.

-Edit- Mix just needs to not start one or two more games for Klinnsman not to pick him.

Yes, and at that point he'd have missed about as much game time for us as he would've missed by playing in the tournament. That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The other side of it is this: I defy you to tell me that a man who won the World Cup would ever want to deprive another player of the chance to play for his national team. There are plenty of footballers around who are less interested in national team games now, and plenty of managers who are willing to tell their players not to answer the call-up, but I sincerely doubt that any man who has won football's greatest prize would ever then want to be so selfish as to stop other men from their chance at their own national team glory.

Mix lacks athleticism. I don't like Lopez's skill, but he's athletic. We lack athleticism outside of Matarrita and Shelton. Lopez is able to play box to box around Pirlo. Unfortunately, Mix can't do that.

I'm not thrilled about it, but it's the right move.
Lopez is most effective at pressing the opposition after a turnover, this skill, due to his athleticism, allows our high D line to settle, and not get burned. THere is probably not another midfielder on the roster who can press like he can, and that is vital in this system.

Yes, and at that point he'd have missed about as much game time for us as he would've missed by playing in the tournament. That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The other side of it is this: I defy you to tell me that a man who won the World Cup would ever want to deprive another player of the chance to play for his national team. There are plenty of footballers around who are less interested in national team games now, and plenty of managers who are willing to tell their players not to answer the call-up, but I sincerely doubt that any man who has won football's greatest prize would ever then want to be so selfish as to stop other men from their chance at their own national team glory.
I don't think this would be a grand conspiracy by Vieira to deprive Mix of the opportunity - Mix would have to be in on it too. And while the National Team is what every player aims for, it's not an automatic "For King & Country" rise to attention. Players from time to time do not want to join up because they do want to focus on their clubs and holding down a position. However, with the USMNT a player cannot decline a call up without being systematically banished from the team - Landon Donovan is a prime example. He turned down Klinnsman, and his career effectively ended on the national team. Mix has a great skill set, but its different than anything JK plays with the MNT - Mix will never unseat Bradley, Jones, Bedoya, or Beckerman - not that I necessary think they're each better but they (with the exception of Bedoya) have skill sets that if needed on the field, Mix cannot produce the same way. So Mix knows he's a bench player at best, and in the past he hasn't gotten off the bench - he may simply not want to leave his club knowing that he can help his club more than he could help the MNT.

I don't think this would be a grand conspiracy by Vieira to deprive Mix of the opportunity - Mix would have to be in on it too. And while the National Team is what every player aims for, it's not an automatic "For King & Country" rise to attention. Players from time to time do not want to join up because they do want to focus on their clubs and holding down a position. However, with the USMNT a player cannot decline a call up without being systematically banished from the team - Landon Donovan is a prime example. He turned down Klinnsman, and his career effectively ended on the national team. Mix has a great skill set, but its different than anything JK plays with the MNT - Mix will never unseat Bradley, Jones, Bedoya, or Beckerman - not that I necessary think they're each better but they (with the exception of Bedoya) have skill sets that if needed on the field, Mix cannot produce the same way. So Mix knows he's a bench player at best, and in the past he hasn't gotten off the bench - he may simply not want to leave his club knowing that he can help his club more than he could help the MNT.
Jones and Beckerman will be 70 years old at the next world cup. If either one of them is on the team Klinsmann should should be fired into the sun.