Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. Atlanta United FC
Saturday, April 8 7:30 PM ET
Yankee Stadium
Apple TV (MLS Season Pass)

Pretty excited about this one. The season's not going the way we want it, but I'm interested in seeing if we can still hold home court in these games against top teams. Plus - it's always nice to have a reigning world cup champion come to town to play. Glad the weather will be cool - let's freeze him out!

Pre-match day weather report, brought to you by Carl's Steaks, the best food Yankee Stadium ever had, so naturally they got rid of it™

Preliminary forecast is for somewhat cloudy skies but then clearing, temps in the upper- to mid-40s.

Pre-match day weather report, brought to you by Carl's Steaks, the best food Yankee Stadium ever had, so naturally they got rid of it™

Preliminary forecast is for somewhat cloudy skies but then clearing, temps in the upper- to mid-40s.
Cold

Gameday Traffic and Weather update:
Uptown D train running normally but no service north of Yankee Stadium
Normal service expected on the 4 train

Cloudy in the mid 40s, with feels-like temps in the lower 40s. Sunset at 7:28pm. 0% chance of the good cheesesteaks from Carl's, good chance of terrible cheesesteaks from Mike's however.

i know it's early but i feel like we're watching chelsea., loads of talent, but just no identity and no attacking threat really.... and you know what happened to their coach. lol.

11 v 10 for almost a full half at HOME and that's how we play? sad.

i miss our free flowing attack.

i miss our stalwart set piece defending.

i miss our ability to break through a high press like a hot knife through butter.

we look lost. i have no idea how pellegrini starts before gabby (someone tell me why?) and parks has regressed in the last few games.

motm - barazza. kept us in it.

maybe queens will treat us better next week?

Reactions: Kjbert
To answer one q
i know it's early but i feel like we're watching chelsea., loads of talent, but just no identity and no attacking threat really.... and you know what happened to their coach. lol.

11 v 10 for almost a full half at HOME and that's how we play? sad.

i miss our free flowing attack.

i miss our stalwart set piece defending.

i miss our ability to break through a high press like a hot knife through butter.

we look lost. i have no idea how pellegrini starts before gabby (someone tell me why?) and parks has regressed in the last few games.

motm - barazza. kept us in it.

maybe queens will treat us better next week?
I’ll bite on Gaby not starting. The last couple of matches he looked like hot garbage and probably Nick wanted to send a message that you need to work hard to stay in the 11. I would argue that the strategy worked — his goal was a banger and he looked way more alive this week he has to be MOTM. Pelegríni lacks bite with his final ball but it’s undeniable that he puts in a shift every match and wins duels/picks pockets all the time. W would have been under siege had he not intervened multiple times, denying ATL dangerous buildups.

What I want to know is why everybody (Chanot, Fredo) was ignoring wide open runs from Cufre down the left when the only time they actually got him the ball we almost scored.

The biggest dropoff is Maxi to Santi at the 10. Santi rushes things where maxi made time slow down.

And we need a striker.

And Barrazza should have done better on the goal. I’ll have to watch again but by my count he made one good save.

We looked terrible in the first 10 minutes but we stabilized and at the death we were pretty unlucky not to get the winner. And we neutralized the best player in the league. And our back four played very very well against one of the best attacks in the league.

I think the Chelsea analogy has merit but it only goes so far. We haven’t overspent on the wrong pieces. We are still missing a few but we still have the flexibility to add them.

Houston was a shit match. This one didn’t worry me that much.

And did I mention that we need a striker?

I’ve been thinking about that April game in 2019 against Montreal. 0-0 against a 10 man Montreal squad for about half an hour. There was a lot of frustration. It got better. Maybe this team gets it’s together.

Reactions: moogoo and Revfugee
BTW this may have been an all-time low for YS services. YS seems to be done with us. The crowd was actually great but Mighty Quinn’s was closed, Heineken has disappeared from the beer selection entirely, no hawkers in the stands, and I am still on the subway 90 minutes after the match ended because the D just sat there once it finally arrived. And of course I have to miss the next match at Citi.

Last edited:
BTW this may have been an all-time low for YS services. YS seems to be down with us. The crowd was actually great but Mighty Quinn’s was closed, Heineken has disappeared from the beer selection entirely, no hawkers in the stands, and I am still on the subway 90 minutes after the match ended because the D just sat there once it finally arrived. And of course I have to miss the next match at Citi.
Totally agree. The concessions were garbage and the train service too. Good riddance to these losers.

What an odd game.

Atlanta controlled the beginning and looked like the team used to a condensed pitch.

City then took control in the middle of the first half and dominated - except for the center final third where there was a void where a striker should be (sorry Segal).

The end of the first was then cagey with chances both ways.

At the start of the second the Pigeons dominated until the red card - with Atlanta taking control when they were down to ten for at least ten minutes.

Finally, down a goal, Gaby scores and the team wakes up and should’ve had a second.

That game had at least six very different phases and I’m not sure what to take from it other than:

1) Please. Sign. A. Striker. Or. Two.

2) Ilenic is a chaos agent (and I think I like it).

3) Sands will be the most important player if this team makes a playoff run, and we should all hope his injury is relatively minor.

BTW this may have been an all-time low for YS services. YS seems to be down with us. The crowd was actually great but Mighty Quinn’s was closed, Heineken has disappeared from the beer selection entirely, no hawkers in the stands, and I am still on the subway 90 minutes after the match ended because the D just sat there once it finally arrived. And of course I have to miss the next match at Citi.

VERY sad to hear that about mighty quinns... they have not been open since covid. i wonder if they are simply not opening for soccer games anymore? that would suck. they were my go to.

agree with your other post too. i'm not sure we played all that great but probably better than my initial perception. we do definitely lack bite in the danger areas and we need to improve this. there is just not enough movement and creativity.

agree santi rushes things and he's not marshalling the midfield like maxi did. maxi was always telling people where to go. we don't have this anymore and it shows.

santi was the only one making runs in behind and moving about. parks was stagnant.

overall, we still move the ball too slowly.

your thoughts are gabby may be true. hadn't thought of that.

forgot to mention this, but thought magno got handled all night. he didn't influence the game much at all.

HOPE SANDS IS OK. but i won't be surprised if he has some fractures and is out for a month or two :(

There is no fire on this team at all without Taty/Callens/Maxi/SJ. An absolute killer that we lost Callens, the heart and soul of the team, so he could play 51 out of 2300 minutes in La Liga.

And even with what looked like a pretty solid crowd, there was no fire in the crowd either other than immediately after our goal and when the red card decision came.

VERY sad to hear that about mighty quinns... they have not been open since covid. i wonder if they are simply not opening for soccer games anymore? that would suck. they were my go to.

agree with your other post too. i'm not sure we played all that great but probably better than my initial perception. we do definitely lack bite in the danger areas and we need to improve this. there is just not enough movement and creativity.

agree santi rushes things and he's not marshalling the midfield like maxi did. maxi was always telling people where to go. we don't have this anymore and it shows.

santi was the only one making runs in behind and moving about. parks was stagnant.

overall, we still move the ball too slowly.

your thoughts are gabby may be true. hadn't thought of that.

forgot to mention this, but thought magno got handled all night. he didn't influence the game much at all.

HOPE SANDS IS OK. but i won't be surprised if he has some fractures and is out for a month or two :(
Mighty Quinn’s have been open at other matches. But the menu was limited (as previously noted, no more nachos).

• Sad
Reactions: moogoo
There is no fire on this team at all without Taty/Callens/Maxi/SJ. An absolute killer that we lost Callens, the heart and soul of the team, so he could play 51 out of 2300 minutes in La Liga.

And even with what looked like a pretty solid crowd, there was no fire in the crowd either other than immediately after our goal and when the red card decision came.
Wow. Totally different for me. 129 tends to be pretty subdued but tonight 129 and 130 were on fire. Might have had something to do with a couple of very loud (and TBF amusing) ATL supporters. Was thinking the team should plant guys like this in every section each game just to stoke things up.