Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. New England Revolution
Saturday, August 28 7:30 PM ET
Yankee Stadium
YES

Carles Gil and Tajon Buchanan are missing the MLS All Star Game week of events, therefore they will not be able to play in this game either on Saturday.

• Love
Reactions: Shwafta
Gil is injured, so he will certainly miss Saturday.

Buchanan is on a flight to somewhere, likely for a transfer discussion (though winter transfer). Don't know what the MLS rules will be for him.

if they can keep someone from playing a league match for missing an all star game due to injury, they sure as hell better apply the same logic for any other reason.

Buchanan is on a flight to somewhere, likely for a transfer discussion (though winter transfer). Don't know what the MLS rules will be for him.

Confirmed, Buchanan in the starting lineup this weekend and will score at least one goal. MLS is anything if not an inconsistent league.

• Sad
Reactions: Shwafta and LionNYC

LA Times reporting that both Vela and Chicharito will have to miss El Trafico this Saturday due to missing All Star Game, so same should apply for Buchanan

LA Times reporting that both Vela and Chicharito will have to miss El Trafico this Saturday due to missing All Star Game, so same should apply for Buchanan
lmao the two biggest stars set to miss a huge game for marketing because of the all star game. what a farce!

Reactions: Schwallacus
lmao the two biggest stars set to miss a huge game for marketing because of the all star game. what a farce!
Chicharito has been out for weeks. The odds he would have played more than 15-20 minutes next weekend anyway is minimal and probably not at all. Vela also hurt himself last weekend, with an injury similar to what kept him out several weeks earlier this year. The rule makes sense and I don't know why people feel a need to blame it for things it has nothing to do with. Yes, we know they won't play next weekend because they are sitting out midweek; but it all would have happened anyway.

Confirmed, Buchanan in the starting lineup this weekend and will score at least one goal. MLS is anything if not an inconsistent league.
The league has never not enforced this rule.

Remember that in 2016 that both Lampard and Gerrard were Commissioner's Picks and had to miss the game due to injury, lol

Reactions: Schwallacus
Chicharito has been out for weeks. The odds he would have played more than 15-20 minutes next weekend anyway is minimal and probably not at all. Vela also hurt himself last weekend, with an injury similar to what kept him out several weeks earlier this year. The rule makes sense and I don't know why people feel a need to blame it for things it has nothing to do with. Yes, we know they won't play next weekend because they are sitting out midweek; but it all would have happened anyway.

This does say though that even if they weren't injured and they missed it, MLS wouldn't have blinked an eye. (Which I guess makes sense, it's just silly.)

As for your second comment, didn't Villa miss a game because he was injured through the all-star game?

Buchanan isn’t injured. That rule has been enforced for injured players.

Supposedly the deal he is going to sign loans him back to the Revs the rest of this year - it wouldn’t surprise me in the least for MLS to start the Buchanan farewell tour next weekend.

Buchanan isn’t injured. That rule has been enforced for injured players.

Supposedly the deal he is going to sign loans him back to the Revs the rest of this year - it wouldn’t surprise me in the least for MLS to start the Buchanan farewell tour next weekend.
Zlatan wasn’t injured when he missed the game back in 2018. He was forced to miss LAG’s next regular season match.

Reactions: Shwafta and canchon
This does say though that even if they weren't injured and they missed it, MLS wouldn't have blinked an eye. (Which I guess makes sense, it's just silly.)

As for your second comment, didn't Villa miss a game because he was injured through the all-star game?
IIRC, Villa was injured before the All Star Game and it was widely thought that he would be coming back the game immediately after the All Star Game as the timing of his recovery just so happened to be that way.

I’ll try to go check match logs later to see if he played the game after, but I’m pretty sure he did

IIRC, Villa was injured before the All Star Game and it was widely thought that he would be coming back the game immediately after the All Star Game as the timing of his recovery just so happened to be that way.

I’ll try to go check match logs later to see if he played the game after, but I’m pretty sure he did
This is correct.

Interesting that the two most high profile Mexican players in MLS are going to miss this event created to market the league to the Mexican diaspora.

This is correct.

Interesting that the two most high profile Mexican players in MLS are going to miss this event created to market the league to the Mexican diaspora.
Villa missed left the 6/24 game after just 27 minutes and the missed 6 games leading up to the All Star Game (on 8/1/18). Was forced to miss the next match held on 8/4/18 and then started and played 70 minutes in the following match on 8/12.

Reactions: Shwafta