MLS Cup Playoffs - November 21 - Atlanta (Home)

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Round One
New York City FC vs. Atlanta United FC
Sunday, November 21 3 PM ET
Yankee Stadium
ABC, ESPN Deportes

The one team I didn’t want to play. They’ll have the best player on the field.

took them a while to beat cincy. Plus they seem to not be able to finish off teams nycfc included. Though that was at home.

it will be even.
I have faith we can get it done. NE in the semis maybe not, but you never know with one-offs!

Reactions: Kjbert
That familiar first round exit feeling. How quick are we going to screw ourselves out of winning this time?

That familiar first round exit feeling. How quick are we going to screw ourselves out of winning this time?

the difference I think is that we are not “favorites” this time even as hosts with how inconsistent the team has been. even last year I think we were expected to beat Orlando.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shwafta
Honestly happy we tied the union because going into the playoffs with a four game win streak seems like a bad formula. I think the teams longest win streak was 5 games so it would mean the team would have to find its greatest streak in the teams history to win MLS cup. Now there is less pressure added from a streak

Reactions: daveh and 413Blue
While I'd rather play ORL, ATL is definitely a beatable team. It's gonna be tight and we're gonna have to step up, but that's the playoffs. With Parks back and hopefully playing a full game 11v11, I think we win 1-0 in regular time.

Reactions: Kjbert and Marito
The one team I didn’t want to play. They’ll have the best player on the field.

this. The one big worry is that Josef goes supernova and Atlanta wins.

That said, they looked like absolute poop against the Red Bulls midweek and generally have been bad away from home.

Reactions: Kjbert and Marito
I have faith we can get it done. NE in the semis maybe not, but you never know with one-offs!

Two years ago Toronto won their 4/5 game at home and then won two road games to get to MLS Cup, including beating the #1 seed off a bye. It has been done.

(Don’t ask who the #1 seed was who lost at home, that one still stings).

Two years ago Toronto won their 4/5 game at home and then won two road games to get to MLS Cup, including beating the #1 seed off a bye. It has been done.

(Don’t ask who the #1 seed was who lost at home, that one still stings).
Oh, I know it's possible! And we didn't play badly against NE at all on any of our games. So I think we have a good chance. Also depending on how the games would go on the other side of the bracket, there's a chance we'd end up at home against Orlando or Red Bulls as well.

Hah they removed them but this is pretty much confirmation and I'm very happy. Sunday best day!!
Ha ha. well guess the playoff invoice is just a place holder then as they have the current place holder of:

Sat • Nov 20, 2021 • 12:00 PM

• Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Oh, I know it's possible! And we didn't play badly against NE at all on any of our games. So I think we have a good chance. Also depending on how the games would go on the other side of the bracket, there's a chance we'd end up at home against Orlando or Red Bulls as well.

NYCFC’s 3 games against the Revs:

3-2 loss at RBA - got Matt Turner’d as he stops a penalty and makes 2-3 other ridiculous saves (Turner wins player of the week)
2-0 win at YS - completely dominate a weakened Revs side (no Gil or Tajon, Bou only plays 45)
2-1 loss at Gillette - NYCFC gets a red card and plays down a man for half the game. Game is tied 1-1 when NYCFC goes down a man.

Revs, as has been the case this year, just do enough.

Ha ha. well guess the playoff invoice is just a place holder then as they have the current place holder of:

i really thought this was going to be the time for us. eastern team no stadium conflicts ( ironically) and last year it was the same time for the 4/5 Seed game.

Guess we'll just have to wait to see. I really really hope it's not saturday. :/
NYCFC’s 3 games against the Revs:

3-2 loss at RBA - got Matt Turner’d as he stops a penalty and makes 2-3 other ridiculous saves (Turner wins player of the week)
2-0 win at YS - completely dominate a weakened Revs side (no Gil or Tajon, Bou only plays 45)
2-1 loss at Gillette - NYCFC gets a red card and plays down a man for half the game. Game is tied 1-1 when NYCFC goes down a man.

Revs, as has been the case this year, just do enough.
Exactly! I think if we bring it to them, we have a chance.