MLS/LigaMX Superleague?!

More revenue = higher payrolls = better players = better soccer

Imagine a Starting XI of TAM and better players
I mean, sure, but is it crazy to say I don't care what level it is as long as it's here? Joining the two leagues means we'll never see some of the teams. 40+ teams? How the hell does that even work?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I mean, sure, but is it crazy to say I don't care what level it is as long as it's here? Joining the two leagues means we'll never see some of the teams. 40+ teams? How the hell does that even work?

They could institute a closed Pro-Rel Between Super League1 & Super League2. Or break it down into 4 regional divisions of 10-15 and have interdivisional play in a rotating NFL style format. Miami vs Cancun for Rivalry week?

You're going to worry about not seeing Vancouver or Cincinnatti when you are seeing Pumas, Tigres, Chivas, America etc? Seems like a no-brainer to me and they'll be so much money to throw around they be able to sweeten the pot enough to make 2 leagues and pro-rel.

You're going to worry about not seeing Vancouver or Cincinnatti when you are seeing Pumas, Tigres, Chivas, America etc? Seems like a no-brainer to me and they'll be so much money to throw around they be able to sweeten the pot enough to make 2 leagues and pro-rel.
Much easier to go to a Philly away day than a Pumas or Tigres away day. With a league like that there will be a lot less opportunity to travel. The USA is big enough as is, now you want to add even farther travel and more extreme temperatures, that's nuts.

-edit-
and to some extent, yes, I'd prefer to play against Vancouver or Cincinnatti in a league setting. It's even cooler to play against top-tier mexican teams in the CCL... Would take the 'wow' factor out of it if it was just one big joint league. In my opinion, of course.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Much easier to go to a Philly away day than a Pumas or Tigres away day. With a league like that there will be a lot less opportunity to travel. The USA is big enough as is, now you want to add even farther travel and more extreme temperatures, that's nuts.

-edit-
and to some extent, yes, I'd prefer to play against Vancouver or Cincinnatti in a league setting. It's even cooler to play against top-tier mexican teams in the CCL... Would take the 'wow' factor out of it if it was just one big joint league. In my opinion, of course.
Vancouver is the same as any of the Mexican teams - not a US team - MLS just happened to let them join the league when MLS was struggling to get ownership. If Mexico wants to join up, and it’s good for TV $, then do it.

I don't want a merger between an American/Canadian and Mexican league. I enjoy MLS as it is with expansion. I enjoy who we play, the playoffs, and the structure as it stands (with continuing budget changes as expansion continues). I don't want away games to Mexico. The potentially added money would mean academy players getting less minutes. That means a poorer national team product.

On the mexico side, this is the way they going because many owners actually own more than one team. there is always financial issues but now it seems more of a power struggle and the ones wanting the merger are winning.

and they probably see it as chance to do it since the WC 2026 coming up and feel it can be marketed more. and maybe on MLS side feel like they can get a bigger deal for rights from ESPN/FS1/TUDN. since they know america and chivas can potentially push ratings much higher.

Reactions: Victors87 and adam
I don't want a merger between an American/Canadian and Mexican league. I enjoy MLS as it is with expansion. I enjoy who we play, the playoffs, and the structure as it stands (with continuing budget changes as expansion continues). I don't want away games to Mexico. The potentially added money would mean academy players getting less minutes. That means a poorer national team product.

i mean werent a good chunk of the best prospects for the NT not even debut in MLS? they went from academies straight to europe ( like gio) Tyler Adams was probably the last one in a while.

Reactions: adam
Vancouver is the same as any of the Mexican teams - not a US team - MLS just happened to let them join the league when MLS was struggling to get ownership. If Mexico wants to join up, and it’s good for TV $, then do it.
That's the same as Cardiff being in the english league system while the other Welsh teams aren't. Would you want to see all the Welsh teams added to the system post-facto?

The main reason for me is down to the fact that I don't want to have to wait 4 years to play against team X. I doubt they're going to do a pro/rel system, which means it'll be just one big league.

Out of curiosity, does anyone's opinion change if we end up just taking a couple of Liga MX teams, a la having a couple of the top Canadian markets? Let's say Club America, Monterrey, Chivas, and Tigres for illustration. Throw in expansions in Phoenix and Detroit to make it 36:

Eastern Conference
Atlantic //
Toronto, Montreal, New England, New York City, NY Red Bulls, Philadelphia, DC United, Orlando, Miami
Central // Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina

Western Conference
Pacific //
Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, LA Galaxy, Chivas, Club America
Mountain // Salt Lake City, Colorado, Phoenix, Kansas City, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Monterrey, Tigres

Play your division twice (16 games), the other division in your conference once (9 games), and play one of the two divisions in the opposite conference once (9 games) on a rotating basis for a total of 34 games. That would be three road trips to Mexico each year if you're in the Western Conference and one each year if you're in the Eastern Conference.

Out of curiosity, does anyone's opinion change if we end up just taking a couple of Liga MX teams, a la having a couple of the top Canadian markets? Let's say Club America, Monterrey, Chivas, and Tigres for illustration. Throw in expansions in Phoenix and Detroit to make it 36:

Eastern Conference
Atlantic //
Toronto, Montreal, New England, New York City, NY Red Bulls, Philadelphia, DC United, Orlando, Miami
Central // Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina

Western Conference
Pacific //
Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, LA Galaxy, Chivas, Club America
Mountain // Salt Lake City, Colorado, Phoenix, Kansas City, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Monterrey, Tigres

Play your division twice (16 games), the other division in your conference once (9 games), and play one of the two divisions in the opposite conference once (9 games) on a rotating basis for a total of 34 games. That would be three road trips to Mexico each year if you're in the Western Conference and one each year if you're in the Eastern Conference.

nah its all or nothing from what is mentioned in mexico and the rumors there. that is why they ended relegation and also want two more teams to make it 20 liga mx teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
That's the same as Cardiff being in the english league system while the other Welsh teams aren't. Would you want to see all the Welsh teams added to the system post-facto?

The main reason for me is down to the fact that I don't want to have to wait 4 years to play against team X. I doubt they're going to do a pro/rel system, which means it'll be just one big league.
If the other Welsh teams put a better product on the field, had more fans, and a higher wetness factor with TV when it comes to negotiating a broadcast deal, then yes, add them in.

Just about every Mexican first division team has more followers than Vancouver, and every one of them will be TV-exciting for broadcasts.

If the result would be more money, better football, and the attraction of better players from abroad, I would be for it. And the intensity of some of the matchups would certainly beat a Wednesday night game against Cincy or Vancouver. Better is a good thing.