Montreal Impact vs. Real Salt Lake 7:30 PM
Philadelphia Union vs. Colorado Rapids 7:30 PM
D.C. United vs. Chicago Fire 8 PM
Sporting Kansas City vs. LA Galaxy 10 PM

MAY 31 - FRIDAY
Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Toronto FC 10 PM

JUNE 1 - SATURDAY
Montreal Impact vs. Orlando City SC 5 PM
Atlanta United FC vs. Chicago Fire 6 PM (Unimas, Twitter)
New Jersey Red Bulls vs. Real Salt Lake 7 PM
Columbus Crew SC vs. New York City FC 7:30 PM
D.C. United vs. San Jose Earthquakes 8 PM
FC Dallas vs. Seattle Sounders FC 8 PM
Houston Dynamo vs. Sporting Kansas City 8:30 PM
Colorado Rapids vs. FC Cincinnati 8:30 PM
Portland Timbers vs. Los Angeles Football Club 10:30 PM (ESPN2)

JUNE 2 - SUNDAY
Minnesota United FC vs. Philadelphia Union 4 PM
LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution 10:30 PM

The run of positive results for NYC in games involving our East conference rivals ended early tonight, but things improved in the later games.
Atlanta 3 Minnesota 0 Game was much closer than the score shows, with 2 Martinez late single effort goals.
Montreal 2 RSL 1
DC 3 Chicago 3 - the Fire equalized in stoppage time. I would have taken a Fire win or this draw as a good result
Philadelphia 1 Colorado 1 - Jonathan Lewis helps the Rapids beat an East team 2 weeks in a row. Thanks Jona!

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
Actual discussion in the Union pre-game prep:
- Jonathan Lewis averages a goal or assist every 100 minutes. How close should we mark him?
- 20, 30 yards ought to do it. Best we not even put anyone on his side of the field.
- Sounds good, next?

What the hell was the Union doing there? BTW, in games not played against Cincinnati (2), Columbus or New England, the Union PPG is 1.18. You have to beat the bad teams. That's more than NYC has done to be fair, but they have had a bit of a cupcake schedule so far.

ETA: The bit about the Union defense is not meant to take away from Lewis's effort. A nice volley is a nice volley.

Last edited:
Since Lewis arrived, Colorado has a 2-1-1 record, their first and only two wins of the year, and Lewis has two goals.

Reactions: adam
Since Lewis arrived, Colorado has a 2-1-1 record, their first and only two wins of the year, and Lewis has two goals.

Jonah as dark horse league MVP candidate.

Shoutout to MLS refs for helping us make up two points on the team at the top of the table last night.

That’s big that they admitted their mistake. Would be bigger if the VAR ref doesn’t work again for another 5+ weeks. It’s one thing for an on-field ref to miss that, but not the guy/woman at the video monitor with multiple views and the rewind button- it’s their job to review goals and get it right.

DC has every right to be furious.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Another VAR note from earlier this week on this play.

Does Gonzalez-Pirez swat the ball out as well? Guzan's hand comes in and Gonzalez-Pirez appears to swat it with his hand too.

Now, I'll admit I didn't see the lead up into this, and Atlanta fans are saying there was a Minny handball earlier that would have nullified the whole sequence, so perhaps this is a moot point.

But at the least, what the hell was Gonzalez-Pirez thinking?

Attachments

• Gonzalez-Pirez Handball.mp4
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
Another VAR note from earlier this week on this play.

Does Gonzalez-Pirez swat the ball out as well? Guzan's hand comes in and Gonzalez-Pirez appears to swat it with his hand too.

Now, I'll admit I didn't see the lead up into this, and Atlanta fans are saying there was a Minny handball earlier that would have nullified the whole sequence, so perhaps this is a moot point.

But at the least, what the hell was Gonzalez-Pirez thinking?
Hard to tell if he touched it. LGP certainly swatted at it, but Guzan did at the same time and might have hit it first and prevented LGP from hitting it. But it also looks from this angle like the ball completely crossed the line and even touched the inside netting a few inches past the side post. I'm looking at 0:12 to 0:14.

Hard to tell if he touched it. LGP certainly swatted at it, but Guzan did at the same time and might have hit it first and prevented LGP from hitting it. But it also looks from this angle like the ball completely crossed the line and even touched the inside netting a few inches past the side post. I'm looking at 0:12 to 0:14.
Yeah, it's close. And I think why it didn't go to VAR is probably as those other fans were alluding to, there was a previous handball by Minny that would have negated the play.

But still, I'm not sure what was going through LGP's head there whether he touched it or not, because he definitely went for it.

Does seem like the evidence we need to follow Europe and get ourselves some goal line tech. This seems the easiest place in the whole of officiating to eliminate human error. Why aren't we doing this?

Does seem like the evidence we need to follow Europe and get ourselves some goal line tech. This seems the easiest place in the whole of officiating to eliminate human error. Why aren't we doing this?

It is rather strange. We were first on the boat for VAR, but still don't have goal line tech.

Interestingly, while going over your question, I was able to check out whether LGP touched the ball on the line. That video clip is really easy to view. If you pause it, you can toggle frame by frame using the sliding bar at the bottom.

It appears that Guzan's hand and LGP's get tangled together, and Guzan actually carries LGP's hand forward toward the ball. My guess is that LGP did touch the ball, but Guzan is the one who really cleared it. I also don't think it is a handball offense if LGP's hand is moved there by Guzan.

Interestingly, while going over your question, I was able to check out whether LGP touched the ball on the line. That video clip is really easy to view. If you pause it, you can toggle frame by frame using the sliding bar at the bottom.

It appears that Guzan's hand and LGP's get tangled together, and Guzan actually carries LGP's hand forward toward the ball. My guess is that LGP did touch the ball, but Guzan is the one who really cleared it. I also don't think it is a handball offense if LGP's hand is moved there by Guzan.
How can it not be a handball offense? That’s like saying if Johnson shoves Chanot into the ball carrier in the box taking him down then it’s not a foul.

Lack of intent.
LGP’s lack of intent wouldn’t matter - it’s Guzan’s intent utilizing LGP’s hand.

Let me change the perspective of the scenario: if Heber’s movement knocks Maxi’s hand which deflects a ball in to the goal, it’s gonna get called back. Wouldn’t ever pass muster as a goal. Applying the same principle, LGP’s handball is still a handball.