MLS Week 25 - 2019 (Heineken Rivalry Week)

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
AUGUST 20 - TUESDAY
Club América vs. Tigres UANL 8:30 PM (Leagues Cup, ESPN2)
Cruz Azul vs. LA Galaxy 10:30 PM (Leagues Cup, ESPN2)

AUGUST 21 - WEDNESDAY
New York City FC vs. Columbus Crew SC 7 PM
D.C. United vs. New Jersey Red Bulls 8 PM (Unimas, Twitter)
Los Angeles Football Club vs. San Jose Earthquakes 10:30 PM (Unimas, Twitter)

AUGUST 22 - THURSDAY
Sporting Kansas City vs. Minnesota United FC 9:30 PM

AUGUST 23 - FRIDAY
Orlando City SC vs. Atlanta United FC 8 PM (ESPN)
Portland Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders FC 10 PM (ESPN)

AUGUST 24 - SATURDAY
New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls 7 PM (ESPN2)
New England Revolution vs. Chicago Fire 7:30 PM
Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United 7:30 PM
Toronto FC vs. Montreal Impact 7:30 PM
Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids 10 PM
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Columbus Crew SC 6 PM (FS1)
FC Dallas vs. Houston Dynamo 8 PM (FS1)
Los Angeles Football Club vs. LA Galaxy 10:30 PM (FS1)

So ATL beats ORL, obvious.
I think the most important thing I see here is:
Because DC plays RB today, regardless of who wins, as long as WE win, we'll jump even farther ahead of whichever team loses, hopefully RB in time for the derby. Then on saturday DC plays Philly, which could be yet again great for us if we win vs RB and DC wins.
So I'm hoping for:
NYC 2 wins
DC 2 ties (likely)
RB 1 tie 1 loss (likely)
Philly 1 tie (likely)

So ATL beats ORL, obvious.
I think the most important thing I see here is:
Because DC plays RB today, regardless of who wins, as long as WE win, we'll jump even farther ahead of whichever team loses, hopefully RB in time for the derby. Then on saturday DC plays Philly, which could be yet again great for us if we win vs RB and DC wins.
So I'm hoping for:
NYC 2 wins
DC 2 ties (likely)
RB 1 tie 1 loss (likely)
Philly 1 tie (likely)
I'm not sure if you're predicting or hoping, or both, but calling for 2 ties in 4 games is pretty much a long shot. Draws are coming in at a bit more than 10% of results to date this year in MLS. There is no meaningful pattern, so it's possible DC could draw twice this week, but asking for every game between 2 conference rivals to end in a draw is like pulling for an inside straight. And it's more interesting to talk about the hard choice: assuming those games end with somebody winning, whom do you prefer? For me, the biggest result would be if DC can beat the Union, which unfortunately I think is the least likely. I also prefer that DC win over RB, but only slightly. I don't think either team is going to threaten for top of the table and can only catch us if we slump.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Here's my prediction:

- ORL with a stoppage minute win over ATL, cause they are at home in front of their fans for a "rivalry" game. It'll be a close one even though ATL is in form, I think ORL step it up.
- DC dominate NJ and win 2-0. DC have been in a slump and haven't started LucaRoo in awhile. I think they find their form at home against long time rivals and dominate. On the other hand NJ continue their inconsistency.
- Philly wins cause DC gave all their juice vs NJ and have nothing left.

Obviously, I think we will win both games. But it depends which team comes to play.

I'm not sure if you're predicting or hoping, or both, but calling for 2 ties in 4 games is pretty much a long shot. Draws are coming in at a bit more than 10% of results to date this year in MLS. There is no meaningful pattern, so it's possible DC could draw twice this week, but asking for every game between 2 conference rivals to end in a draw is like pulling for an inside straight. And it's more interesting to talk about the hard choice: assuming those games end with somebody winning, whom do you prefer? For me, the biggest result would be if DC can beat the Union, which unfortunately I think is the least likely. I also prefer that DC win over RB, but only slightly. I don't think either team is going to threaten for top of the table and can only catch us if we slump.

Inside straight is only 9% chance if all 4 cards needed are still in play.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I find your lack of faith.. disturbing..
Last time he predicted and i think like all but two of his predictions were wrong, so he's using his powers to help us ;)

It was more of a hope- however at the same time I really do think it's possible. DC vs RB - two teams that are around the same place in the standings with around the same level of ambition atm, and their defense... whew
Then Philly vs DC is .a long stretch. But you never know!!

In truth, it really doesn't matter who wins in both of those games as long as we win, because if we win both of ours and one person loses in each of those games, since they're all playoff teams that means we're that much farther ahead of whichever team loses.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Last time he predicted and i think like all but two of his predictions were wrong, so he's using his powers to help us ;)

We shall see then. Our WINS great depend on which team shows up. If we play like we are capable of playing, then it's no question, we'll come out on top. If the ATL game team shows up.. it's not going to be pretty. Especially vs NJ. Sadly, we are not super consistent with our style and intensity of play but we've managed to grind out wins or draws this season, helping us move up the table. Hopefully, in this final push into the playoffs, we find our form, get a full squad back to match fitness, and make a real run for the cup.

Watch the penalty that RBNJ got to beat DCU. A straight up ridiculous dive that is not reviewed by VAR.

That’s four points now that RBNJ has gotten from straight up bogus calls.

insane that the pk was never reviewed. that's about as clear and obvious as it could get. watch him get fined by disco for embellishment and simulation... howard webb.. get your boys in order...

Reactions: SoupInNYC
AITA for not thinking that Vela goal is quite as amazing as everyone is saying? I mean, wow, yes, from the dummy to getting the pass back and faking the keeper such that he completely misplays his approach and then patiently waiting for the last defender before tapping it in. It's great. But I also see 2-3 SJ defenders make extraordinarily weak efforts or just give up. And after he was past the goalie, he had an open net but waited for that defender to slide in before waiting more for that defender to commit and stop sliding. And if those first defenders had not given up they would have had a chance, while Vela was delaying, to make a play. Maybe I'm underestimating the extent to which Vela is the cause of them looking so ineffectual. But part of me thinks that if all the SJ defenders played as hard as Nick Lima, then Vela would have just finessed himself out of a goal he could have punched in once he got by Vega.

AITA for not thinking that Vela goal is quite as amazing as everyone is saying? I mean, wow, yes, from the dummy to getting the pass back and faking the keeper such that he completely misplays his approach and then patiently waiting for the last defender before tapping it in. It's great. But I also see 2-3 SJ defenders make extraordinarily weak efforts or just give up. And after he was past the goalie, he had an open net but waited for that defender to slide in before waiting more for that defender to commit and stop sliding. And if those first defenders had not given up they would have had a chance, while Vela was delaying, to make a play. Maybe I'm underestimating the extent to which Vela is the cause of them looking so ineffectual. But part of me thinks that if all the SJ defenders played as hard as Nick Lima, then Vela would have just finessed himself out of a goal he could have punched in once he got by Vega.
It’s funny that I just clicked onto this page to see if anyone commented on that goal. I just watched it as a highlight with no heads up or expectation and threw out an exclamation so loud that my wife asked me what I was watching. I then went downstairs to show it to my son. I haven’t analyzed it critically, but it did have the wow factor in real time for me.

It’s funny that I just clicked onto this page to see if anyone commented on that goal. I just watched it as a highlight with no heads up or expectation and threw out an exclamation so loud that my wife asked me what I was watching. I then went downstairs to show it to my son. I haven’t analyzed it critically, but it did have the wow factor in real time for me.
I think I would have been more excited watching it live, but my problem was not raised expectations but just that I knew how it ended. I have heard both a Spanish and English audio, and I noticed that both announcers just started babbling at some point after Vela gets past Vega, because the play just kept going and going and the anticipation overcame them. But I knew he scored, and even on first viewing I thought "why hasn't he shot yet?"

Reactions: JayH
orlando should be winning this game but their forward choked so many times right in front of goal :/