MLS Week 31

SoupInNYC

Registered
Elite Donor
Mar 9, 2015
UES
Only one game this week as Houston hosts Colorado on Saturday. Playoff implications:

Houston is still barely alive but needs to win their remaining 4 matches and SKC to lose their remaining 2 matches (as well as Portland to lose and/or draw their remaining 2 and SJ to lose or draw one of their remaining 3 matches). Houston is eliminated with a draw or loss to Colorado.

Colorado clinches a first-round bye with a win against Houston
as LAG can even them on points, but will lose the first tiebreaker of wins. Colorado clinches a home playoff match with a draw against Houston.

Colorado is also currently 5 points behind Dallas in the Supporters Shield standings with 2 games in hand. This match will have big implications for the SS.

Should we lump in next week's midweek games as well? Seems to make sense as the following weekend has all the teams playing on Sunday afternoon.

Seattle hosts Houston on Wednesday, and if my calculations are correct, I think they seal a playoff berth with a win. They would also move into 4th place with 2 games to play - 1 point behind LA in 3rd.

On Thursday, Columbus travels to Chicago in a bid to keep their flickering playoff candle burning. San Jose does the same with a trip to Colorado.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Should we lump in next week's midweek games as well? Seems to make sense as the following weekend has all the teams playing on Sunday afternoon.

Seattle hosts Houston on Wednesday, and if my calculations are correct, I think they seal a playoff berth with a win. They would also move into 4th place with 2 games to play - 1 point behind LA in 3rd.

On Thursday, Columbus travels to Chicago in a bid to keep their flickering playoff candle burning. San Jose does the same with a trip to Colorado.
Yeah I think that makes sense. You are correct in that a win by Seattle secures a playoff spot as Portland could catch them on points, but would lose the first tiebreaker.

Hopefully Columbus does beat Chicago, as that would keep them alive for playoff contention before their match at NJ.

Well MLS Fantasy is doing that. Stock up on Dynamo and Rapids players who have DGW

Last edited:
Well MLS Fantasy is doing that. Stock up on Sounders and Rapids players who have DGW
DGW weeks are Houston and Rapids. Though Houston doesn't provide a whole lot of viable fantasy options, so I definitely went heavy with Sounders and Rapids.

Only one game this week as Houston hosts Colorado on Saturday. Playoff implications:

Houston is still barely alive but needs to win their remaining 4 matches and SKC to lose their remaining 2 matches (as well as Portland to lose and/or draw their remaining 2 and SJ to lose or draw one of their remaining 3 matches). Houston is eliminated with a draw or loss to Colorado.

Colorado clinches a first-round bye with a win against Houston
as LAG can even them on points, but will lose the first tiebreaker of wins. Colorado clinches a home playoff match with a draw against Houston.

Colorado is also currently 5 points behind Dallas in the Supporters Shield standings with 2 games in hand. This match will have big implications for the SS.

Also, NYC and NJ sit tied with COL in points. COL has 2 games in hand on those teams. A loss to HOU would increase the odds of Dallas winning the West (and a double) and opening up a CCL spot based on SS standings. IT would also increase the odds of either NYC or NJ finished ahead of COL in the SS standings and gaining that CCL berth (even if one of them win the East). We hated them last week, but this week we're all Dynamos!!!

DGW weeks are Houston and Rapids. Though Houston doesn't provide a whole lot of viable fantasy options, so I definitely went heavy with Sounders and Rapids.

My mistake. Edited. Agree. Won't transfer Houston onto my team. I don't want to risk negative points.

Looking ahead to the rest of the week we have Seattle hosting Houston on Wednesday night and Chicago hosts Columbus while Colorado hosts San Jose on Thursday night.

If Seattle beats Houston, they clinch a playoff spot and would move to to 4th place, 1 point behind LAG in the standings.

Colorado just clinched a first round bye with their latest win, a win here would put them 1 point ahead of Dallas for the Supporters Shield. San Jose needs a draw or a win to stay alive in the race for the playoffs. They are eliminated with a loss.

Chicago is already eliminated, but Columbus needs a win to stay alive in their race for the playoffs. They are eliminated with a loss or a draw. Would be nice for them to come away with a win so they go into NJ on Sunday still alive.

Looking ahead to the rest of the week we have Seattle hosting Houston on Wednesday night and Chicago hosts Columbus while Colorado hosts San Jose on Thursday night.

If Seattle beats Houston, they clinch a playoff spot and would move to to 4th place, 1 point behind LAG in the standings.

Colorado just clinched a first round bye with their latest win, a win here would put them 1 point ahead of Dallas for the Supporters Shield. San Jose needs a draw or a win to stay alive in the race for the playoffs. They are eliminated with a loss.

Chicago is already eliminated, but Columbus needs a win to stay alive in their race for the playoffs. They are eliminated with a loss or a draw. Would be nice for them to come away with a win so they go into NJ on Sunday still alive.
Dallas has a brutal finish to their schedule with Seattle & LA sandwiched around a CCL trip, but Colorado's isn't guaranteed with SJ, Portland, and Houston (two teams fighting for their postseason & Houston is playing better than their record).... pulling for 5 losses between the two of them!!!

Reactions: adam

I am really on the fence about Columbus still being in the race when they play at NJ. I certainly want them to be motivated for that game - but I DON'T want them to be motivated for their next game, which is against us. I guess the best of all worlds is that they are motivated against NJ and get a result, but still get eliminated by other teams doing well that day.

I am really on the fence about Columbus still being in the race when they play at NJ. I certainly want them to be motivated for that game - but I DON'T want them to be motivated for their next game, which is against us. I guess the best of all worlds is that they are motivated against NJ and get a result, but still get eliminated by other teams doing well that day.
I looked into this, but the only way that they would be eliminated (assuming my calculations are correct) while getting a win at NJ would be for us to lose to DC. However, they could be playing hard and get a draw at NJ, which would then eliminate them from the playoffs while still holding NJ to only 1 point.

I guess how I've looked at it is I'll take a playoff-motivated Columbus for our last match, because it meant they took 3 points at NJ, haha.