Nevada Smith's Review (ccc Game #1)

NYC_JC

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 18, 2015
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share my experience yesterday at Nevada Smith's for the first CCC game. With that, I want to hear what your thoughts are if you went to NS's, or if not, where did you watch the game and how as the atmosphere?

I should preface that I am a Third Rail member, but also I frequent visitor to this site (I don't post as much as I should). While I will be in Yankee Stadium for all the home games, at the end of the day my friends and I are just looking for an amazing bar to watch the away games - whether at NS's or elsewhere.

The Venue
Nevada Smith's is a true football bar. They post all the games that they are showing on their website and have football gear displayed on the first two floors. They are really trying to live up to their tagline "Where Football is Religion."

Interesting note: while there was a sign out front that advertised the showing of the NYCFC game, on their website and Facebook page there was no mention to it. I know it was a preseason friendly, but you think that if this is the TR's official bar that all the games, friendly or not, would be on the website. I did not see much NYCFC gear on the walls - just two TR scarfs. Granted, it was packed so there could have been stuff I missed but I would have liked to see a flag or something.

The viewing event was held on the third floor in two rooms. The first room, where the bar was located, had a bunch of TVs and a large projection screen. Great place to watch the game. The second room, which was down the hallway, also had a bunch of TVs.

The Drinks
Bunch of beer on tap at normal NYC prices.

The Atmosphere
By the time I got there at 7:15 the first room was packed. I would put it around 75-100 people. I grabbed a beer and went to the second room where there was another 20-30 people.

There was a camera crew rolling around so I am guessing you will see a video posted in the near future. The crew cut out at half so you're not going to see some of the best parts of the night.

Place was kind of rowdy at first - I guess as rowdy as one could get at a preseason friendly. Loud boos when they first showed Orlando and loud cheers when we saw our boys for the first time. An attempt at a song fell flat within the first 10 minutes, but eventually they got this one going (it sounded so much better when there was a bunch of people doing it):

Note to the TR Board Members on here: If we are going to run with any of these songs at first, please print and pass out sheets with words.

Place went nuts for that first Saunders save, and despite the Kaka goal there was still a buzz in the air.

Place erupted for the Khiry goal. A huge "KHI-RY SHEL-TON" chant broke out followed by a smaller "K-19" chant.

Funny Note: There was was a few of Irish fans there decked out in NYCFC gear. There were going nuts in the room I was in and really made the atmosphere. At one point they got this chant going:

"Your shite, your shite,
Your colors are purple and white
Orlandoooo, Orlandoooo."

Common European chant but we need to use that.

The Third Rail Board
I feel that this part was necessary as they get a bad rep on here. All the founding and board SG members I met were really cool. They DID NOT walk around with a superiority complex. They were just passionate fans like the rest of us that want to be apart of something great.

Conclusion
While I wish NS's showed us a little more love, I had a great time. Everyone there was amazing and everyone that I talked to had season tickets. The games should be really, really fun. I can see the bar getting 100 times better as we grow and mature as a fan base in terms of chants, songs, etc.

I'm way too pumped for March 8th. How did you watch the game?

I cringe at the Khi-ry Shel-ton fall back chant. I'm afraid of they have nothing planned all the "organic" chants will be boring as hell

I cringe at the Khi-ry Shel-ton fall back chant. I'm afraid of they have nothing planned all the "organic" chants will be boring as hell

Of course we can, and should, be more creative but that's going to come with time. Hopefully after a few games we are in a better place with all that stuff.

Of course we can, and should, be more creative but that's going to come with time. Hopefully after a few games we are in a better place with all that stuff.
The Yankees have had plenty of time and that's all they ever do. Creative chants seem to take a lot of work and planning

Reactions: Paul
Let's be honest it's hard to chant at a tv. I mean it just is. I think the fact the the borough boys were all at Bar 43 pushed those of us there to get a little creative, join in, and be a little more involved in chanting than we might have been if it was just the game on.

Adversity breeds brother/sisterhood, creativity, dance challenges, etc.

Time will tell.

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share my experience yesterday at Nevada Smith's for the first CCC game. With that, I want to hear what your thoughts are if you went to NS's, or if not, where did you watch the game and how as the atmosphere?

I should preface that I am a Third Rail member, but also I frequent visitor to this site (I don't post as much as I should). While I will be in Yankee Stadium for all the home games, at the end of the day my friends and I are just looking for an amazing bar to watch the away games - whether at NS's or elsewhere.

The Venue
Nevada Smith's is a true football bar. They post all the games that they are showing on their website and have football gear displayed on the first two floors. They are really trying to live up to their tagline "Where Football is Religion."

Interesting note: while there was a sign out front that advertised the showing of the NYCFC game, on their website and Facebook page there was no mention to it. I know it was a preseason friendly, but you think that if this is the TR's official bar that all the games, friendly or not, would be on the website. I did not see much NYCFC gear on the walls - just two TR scarfs. Granted, it was packed so there could have been stuff I missed but I would have liked to see a flag or something.

The viewing event was held on the third floor in two rooms. The first room, where the bar was located, had a bunch of TVs and a large projection screen. Great place to watch the game. The second room, which was down the hallway, also had a bunch of TVs.

The Drinks

The Atmosphere
By the time I got there at 7:15 the first room was packed. I would put it around 75-100 people. I grabbed a beer and went to the second room where there was another 20-30 people.

There was a camera crew rolling around so I am guessing you will see a video posted in the near future. The crew cut out at half so you're not going to see some of the best parts of the night.

Place was kind of rowdy at first - I guess as rowdy as one could get at a preseason friendly. Loud boos when they first showed Orlando and loud cheers when we saw our boys for the first time. An attempt at a song fell flat within the first 10 minutes, but eventually they got this one going (it sounded so much better when there was a bunch of people doing it):

Note to the TR Board Members on here: If we are going to run with any of these songs at first, please print and pass out sheets with words.

Place went nuts for that first Saunders save, and despite the Kaka goal there was still a buzz in the air.

Place erupted for the Khiry goal. A huge "KHI-RY SHEL-TON" chant broke out followed by a smaller "K-19" chant.

Funny Note: There was was a few of Irish fans there decked out in NYCFC gear. There were going nuts in the room I was in and really made the atmosphere. At one point they got this chant going:

"Your shite, your shite,
Orlandoooo, Orlandoooo."

The Third Rail Board
I feel that this part was necessary as they get a bad rep on here. All the founding and board SG members I met were really cool. They DID NOT walk around with a superiority complex. They were just passionate fans like the rest of us that want to be apart of something great.

Conclusion
While I wish NS's showed us a little more love, I had a great time. Everyone there was amazing and everyone that I talked to had season tickets. The games should be really, really fun. I can see the bar getting 100 times better as we grow and mature as a fan base in terms of chants, songs, etc.

Good review, I was in the room with the Irish guys as well, had a good time

Reactions: DiRoma
Organic chants are romantic at best. There has to be planning.
I've been to Nevada's once for the USMNT CT trip. It was a great atmosphere but I owe that entirely to the members of Third Rail. I am not a fan of the place itself, I kinda liked Hatter's better. The pics I saw posted were impressive, looked like a huge turn out.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Really sucks that I couldn't make it. Snow ruined my plans. Didn't want to risk driving.

A couple things to add: 1. Drinks and food are 10% off with your TR membership card. I like the food there. It's not amazing but it's good. 2. There is no NYCFC stuff yet because they only hang autographed jerseys. I voted for the first NYCFC jersey to be put in Nevada Smith's but that didn't happen. They will get stuff in time.

Thanks for sharing. I know there are people that rag on TR but everyone that's attended one of these watch parties always comes out with nothing but positives and talks of comradery.

Reactions: Goodfella and Paul
Great review and story. I was at Bar43. I was the first NYCFC fan to arrive. As I walked past the windows to the door all I could see was green. I thought, oh hell, what's going on?

I walked in and recognized a bunch of guys. I have been covering the Cosmos for the past four years and met supporters along the way. (I am still a STH but that's a different story)

I spent fifteen minutes talking to the few guys that I knew. We talked NYCFC, MLS, Cosmos and NASL in general. It was good. The said that the Five Points, the collective name of all their SG's by random had picked Bar43 for a preseason social and that they had no idea about the NYCFC game. The few guys I was talking to did say that they expect the energy to build as the night went on.

A little later the Brown Bag guys started arriving. A couple at a time until we matched the Cosmos fans. There was so harassing and yelling and then the game started and it got loud. I don't think either group stopped while the game was going on.

I'll plead intoxication for the fact that I cannot remember the name of our Capo for the night. He had some great chants and kept us all going. I knew I was going to have fun with the other fans, but having Cosmos fans there too made it even better.

I remember early in the night asking a few of the Cosmos fans to take a picture. I said, "C'mon, this is awesome, tonight is exactly what we wanted, to grow the game. To have energy behind the game." One of the guys I didn't know too well replied, "Fuck that shit, I don't care about the Meta, grow the game bullshit. I care about my team. I'm not taking a picture with any NYCFC fans." I couldn't argue. And by the end of the night there was enough love and alcohol in the air that there were a few group shots taken.

It was awesome. The NYSoccerwarz have begun. I was there to witness it. And I can't wait to see how it will grow in time.

Hello Everyone!

The Venue

The Drinks

The Atmosphere

"Your shite, your shite,
Orlandoooo, Orlandoooo."

The Third Rail Board

Conclusion

Did they really say "Shite"? Bunch of New Yorkers with fake cockney accents is cringe-worthy, but I guess if you're having fun, more power to you.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Couple notes about Nevada Smiths:

1. They might not have been promoting it because it was much a member meeting as viewing party. If we do it like that again we should make a clearer distinction and have them promote the viewing party half starting at whatever time.

2. We've started to make the third floor ours; we hung TR scarves during the event, and hung our huge "Hail the Rail" banner which we want to live there.

3. The chants are coming, but I think a lot of people understand that they'll change and shape over time. We seem to receive as many complaints that we're being too "organic" as we do that we're "shoving them down (members') throats". Our basic idea is to circulate a couple, just so we have something to sing/chant, and let the people in the stands come up with new ones. We've also opened the floor at every meeting for members to speak their piece, which has involved chant/song suggestions. That's how we got the nick-nack-paddywhack one, which is still my favorite. If you guys have more, we'd love to hear 'em.

4. As for the signed jersey, stay tuned. We have something planned for one of the first away match viewing parties....

Thanks again,
Chance

Fair enough, and certain apologies if that came off as offensive or stereotypical in any way. I just don't love the idea of putting on a foreign accent for chants on a New York team.
He had mentioned that they were Irish guys that were singing them. So I doubt they were putting anything on. That's just how they talk.

I use shite all the time. It's like my adult version of "crap" for when I don't want to say shit. I did it before I even spent every moment I have for entertainment watching soccer.

I can't be too bothered over stuff like that. We're Americans. We take other people's shite, improve it and make it American. I mean, do you get mad when English announcers use the term "goalie"? Because I hear that at least occasionally. I don't think that's super-native. But either way, I don't see how anyone can be fussed over borrowing chants or words to make chants rhyme.

Hell, it's better than half the "rappers" out there now, they just "rhyme" the same word over and over. Bloody shambles (SWIDT).

He had mentioned that they were Irish guys that were singing them. So I doubt they were putting anything on. That's just how they talk.
they were definitely Irish, I was right next to them. and shite rhymes with white

This thread is taking a weird, unintentional twist!

images.jpg

Thanks for posting the video by the way, DiRoma.