Nick Cushing Named Interim Head Coach (July '22) / Head Coach (November '22)

What Are Your Thoughts on Cushing as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Pleased

• Pleased

• Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Gonna need to update my profile picture in the coming days.
Anyone got a good picture of Nick Cushing for my "Nick Whoopy Cushing"?
Alternative is "Nick Cushion" on a couch.

No Nick thread yet?

I'm trying to find a video of Nick singing a humorous obscene song at one the of post MLS Cup parties that was shared probably in December. I can't find it on Twitter or Youtube. Anyone remember it and can you find it?

Reactions: Shwafta
I am not. Smart clubs and teams won't rush to name coaches that are not known commodities. I do believe Cushing will succeed, but maintaining the interim tag is smart as it retains flexibility. It is essentially a pre-nuptial agreement.

Perhaps it is the glow of a Cup winning season, but I am actually fine with this manager change and less frustrated than I was when Vieira left. Vieira had instituted a new system and his departure derailed the learning curve. Also, he (from the outside) seemed instrumental in tactics and planning.

With Ronny, as someone noted earlier in this thread, his strength was culture. Much has been made of Vartughian's efforts on corner kicks, and Cushing has been with the team and long as Ronny and appears to be instrumental in strategy and planning. With the culture in place, and the team focused on a veteran + young South American roster build, losing the culture creator but retaining set play and game day tacticians may not be the worst thing.

I could be miserably wrong. However, I suspect that this transition will be smoother than either after Vieira or after Dome.

(I also wouldn't be shocked to see Chanot as player/assistant or full time assistant sooner rather than later)
I agree with basically all of this (and I've been one of the people banging on the culture drum), but I just come down on the other side of the interim issue. Flexibility and stability are in tension. We just had a coach quit, so I emphasize stability. Name Cushing Manager in full. No interim. They just gave him an extension anyway.
The main difference I suppose is this let's them hire a replacement without firing Nick. If they name him coach and replace him he pretty much has to go or it's humiliating.
You can g either way I guess.

No Nick thread yet?

I'm trying to find a video of Nick singing a humorous obscene song at one the of post MLS Cup parties that was shared probably in December. I can't find it on Twitter or Youtube. Anyone remember it and can you find it?
This?

-EDIT-

POO I was beaten and didn't refresh the page. derp.

I think the reason this doesn't feel as bad as with Patrick is that Ronny did what he came here to do. He came to win a trophy. He did. He completed his mission, now he moves on. Good luck to him.

This should really be its own thread now. Cushing as interim head coach onwards should be a new thread.

Cushing was very impressive with the media here. I get the sense he'll be just fine in this role, and wouldn't surprise me to see them end up having him as the permanent head coach whenever they decide to make that decision.

Cushing was very impressive with the media here. I get the sense he'll be just fine in this role, and wouldn't surprise me to see them end up having him as the permanent head coach whenever they decide to make that decision.
They're not going to commit to that right away -- wisely -- but along with a lot of others I get the feeling that's the plan. Cushing is undoubtedly a company man, through and through. And the fact he was extended right away along with Vartughian and Ballouchy sure feels like the organization was looking down the road a little all along.