Nick Cushing Named Interim Head Coach (July '22) / Head Coach (November '22)

What Are Your Thoughts on Cushing as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Pleased

• Pleased

• Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
If he moves on, hopefully, it will be for a huge transfer fee, because that would really help out our TAM and GAM situation.

I kid, I kid.

I’m excited to see him loaned to Palermo next summer

player injuries and lack of reinforcements aside, i wish we could hear more about nick's style of play that he wants to implement. all his press conferences focus on effort, attitude, and togetherness with very little with regards to how he actually wants to play. all we have to go on is what we see on the field and that obviously isn't working too well. but we don't know if it's tactical failure or pure execution by 2nd and 3rd string players.

all i know is, if you are lacking in talent/skill, which 2nd and 3rd string players tend to be, that means you have to make up for that with intensity and physicality. Not sure we're doing that since our press has lots its bite since nick took over.

Sometimes the boss has to be respected by the boys.
Nick Cushing is a young interim manager who took over partly because he was the guy that was here already when the last boss left the club. He may be a friendly guy who lacked confidence to properly manage his first men's first team.
It's easy for a group of professional athletes, defending a championship, to allow a lack of respect for the boss to creep in, even unintentionally.

I bring this up because I've kept thinking back to the Campeones cup final. What really stuck out to me from that match was the seemingly tense exchange between Cushing and Santi as he was being substituted.
Now, I don't think any comments were made about that, and who knows what it was all about. It could have been nothing, or maybe it was the manager showing his confidence and showing what he expects of his players, sending a message to the team at just the right opportunity.
Either way, we haven't been beaten since then, and Santi has been phenomenal. Sure, we've gotten much healthier and the two events very likely have no correlation, but perhaps they do?

Sometimes the boss has to be respected by the boys.
Nick Cushing is a young interim manager who took over partly because he was the guy that was here already when the last boss left the club. He may be a friendly guy who lacked confidence to properly manage his first men's first team.
It's easy for a group of professional athletes, defending a championship, to allow a lack of respect for the boss to creep in, even unintentionally.

I bring this up because I've kept thinking back to the Campeones cup final. What really stuck out to me from that match was the seemingly tense exchange between Cushing and Santi as he was being substituted.
Now, I don't think any comments were made about that, and who knows what it was all about. It could have been nothing, or maybe it was the manager showing his confidence and showing what he expects of his players, sending a message to the team at just the right opportunity.
Either way, we haven't been beaten since then, and Santi has been phenomenal. Sure, we've gotten much healthier and the two events very likely have no correlation, but perhaps they do?
These were some of the reasons why I had just a tiny niggling doubt at the beginning, even though I thought Cushing was our guy. There was a clip on YouTube of him talking to the team in the dressing room after a game and everyone had their head down, not looking at him. I've seen it before and it's usually a bad sign.

But that was right after Deila's departure, so it was in the very early going. And I think at this point Nick has dispelled any real doubts. He looks firmly in control of his squad. And tactically, he's been terrific since making the decision enough continuity was enough, and it was time for him to go his own way.

Reactions: adam
This may not mean anything, but this is the first time I've seen the "interim" tag dropped in a story on the site. (It's also an excellent article. LOL)

[Edit: I meant in the body of the story. Clearly it's still in the SEO description.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
* Crazy theory alert. *

Nick Cushing took the interim role because the plan was/is for Chanot to take the helm next season.

In all seriousness though, I do think CFG and Chanot see him transitioning directly into managing after his retirement. It may not be next season seeing as though I believe he signed a multi-year extension this year, but perhaps that deal had more meaning behind it.
Going into this season, I had assumed Deila would leave after this season, and Chanot was my dark horse replacement candidate. With his early departure and the unusual interim tag, I had this thought back at the time of the announcement. Watching the Montreal match, it reignited those thoughts with Chanot essentially acting as the manager on the sidelines. Perhaps he already has a role?

*End crazy theory* *although I think the Chanot retiring into coaching, likely with CFG, is not a crazy theory, but him taking over this off-season is a stretch.

Reactions: Sabo
“End crazy theory* *although I think the Chanot retiring into coaching, likely with CFG, is not a crazy theory, but him taking over this off-season is a stretch.
I think this is right. I think Chanot and NYCFC/CFG anticipate a long term relationship with him coaching, but those sort of plans always depend on the right positions being available at the right times.
I’d love for him to take over eventually, but I don’t think sliding directly into the head coach role makes sense.

* Crazy theory alert. *

Nick Cushing took the interim role because the plan was/is for Chanot to take the helm next season.

In all seriousness though, I do think CFG and Chanot see him transitioning directly into managing after his retirement. It may not be next season seeing as though I believe he signed a multi-year extension this year, but perhaps that deal had more meaning behind it.
Going into this season, I had assumed Deila would leave after this season, and Chanot was my dark horse replacement candidate. With his early departure and the unusual interim tag, I had this thought back at the time of the announcement. Watching the Montreal match, it reignited those thoughts with Chanot essentially acting as the manager on the sidelines. Perhaps he already has a role?

*End crazy theory* *although I think the Chanot retiring into coaching, likely with CFG, is not a crazy theory, but him taking over this off-season is a stretch.

I think if anything chanot would join as an assistant coach or take over an academy team or II squad. He has no coaching experience at any level.. it doesn't seem like a cfg move to hire someone like that for a first team head coach.

* Crazy theory alert. *

Hasn't he been helping out with the academy after trainings? I thought I read that somewhere last year or the year before. Absolutely feels like he wants to be a coach after he retires, but I'd think he would take an assistant coach position before becoming the boss.

I think if anything chanot would join as an assistant coach or take over an academy team or II squad. He has no coaching experience at any level.. it doesn't seem like a cfg move to hire someone like that for a first team head coach.

Hasn't he been helping out with the academy after trainings? I thought I read that somewhere last year or the year before. Absolutely feels like he wants to be a coach after he retires, but I'd think he would take an assistant coach position before becoming the boss.
I thought for sure it had been reported that he was coaching a team in the academy, but a quick Google search came up empty. Maybe it was mentioned on a social media platform at some point?

Pull a Bellucci?

I thought for sure it had been reported that he was coaching a team in the academy, but a quick Google search came up empty. Maybe it was mentioned on a social media platform at some point?
I saw something about it on Instagram, I think. And if I'm not mistaken, he's been working toward his A-license (I don't know if he has it yet).

I think M moogoo is right, though. He'll get an assistant job somewhere in the organization first. If he wants to stay in New York, it would be with us.

It's official. Nick is the new boss.

With the changing of the title, I've reset the poll. Revote as you'd like. (Votes can be changed, as they don't lock).

Reactions: Kjbert