Ny Red Bulls Rivalry

Kyle Levy

Registered
Jan 22, 2015
Albany, NY
Hey everyone!
So I'm sure I'm like some of you, I supported the Red Bulls up until this season. It was a difficult decision but ultimately I made up my mind and decided to place my loyalty with NYCFC. I was wondering what the deal is with the rivalry. I don't hate the Red Bulls. To be fair I don't want to hate them either. I have apparel and other stuff but I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as me.

So where do we stand with the NYRB? Are we rivals yet? I don't think we have a reason to actually "despise" them yet. However I am finally glad New York has a real team, cause we all know the Red Bulls are really just a New Jersey team.

Geographic rivals. Red Bull will be like Atletico to our Real Madrid.

I expect, given the way they've piledrived their club into the ground and have given up on big-spending, that NYCFC will find more competitive rivalry with Toronto, DC United, New England or one of the LA Clubs.

Reactions: Lmaster86
Club rivalry is mainly just a tool used by Media/Club Owners to hype up the game.
It's funny reading comments from Chinese kids who are Liverpool fans threatening to kill a South Korean Everton fan. No Scouser in sight yet they "hate" each other because of football rivalry.

Being from an area where we have a big hyped rivalry (Manchester) I'm fully aware of the traditions of both City and United.
Historically, one week whole families would go to Old Trafford (when United played at home) and when United played away the same families living in Manchester would go to Maine Road and watch City play.

Hate for me is something more personal. I only hate Man. United as I've been told many stories from family/friends about bad things the club has done over the years, meeting people I disliked who happened to also be United fans and as a child growing up in a school being the only City fan, with every kid firmly on the Sky Sports bandwaggon during the United success of the 90's

So what I'm saying is, rivalries will form in a natural way, maybe not today but in years ahead (if both clubs stay competitive)
You might end up having a much more intense rivalry with I dunno LA Galaxy or something, who may be more competitive with NYCFC.

We never had much rivalry at all with the likes of Arsenal up until a few years ago, we bought a few arsenal players, started winning more and this lead to more abuse from Arsenal fans at matches, online and so on.

This is a rivalry in the same sense that Liverpool and Everton are rivals....no one -- or at least an overwhelming majority -- hates the other. In fact, families may contain both RB and NYCFC supporters, just as in Merseyside.

For instance, I'm a NYCFC season ticket holder with 5 other friends of mine. However, I have 5 other friends who are RB supporters who will be coming to the match and tailgating with us on Sunday. It's all about having a good time. Sure as hell we'll be extremely competitive against each other, particularly on match days, but I see a lot of positivity in supporting one another.

Lastly, one final point, Yankees fans don't hate Mets fans. They hate Boston fans ;)

David Villa said that true rivalries come out of the number of times you play against a team and playing them in tense moments like semifinals or finals.

We will see all the eastern team three times each this season.

Depending on Open Cup and playoffs we could see one or more teams a second or third time. Those games will create the rivalry.

I was long long time metro stars and red bulls fan. Went to many games. I decided to support nycfc fully simply because they represent nyc and the 5 Burroughs the best. After the pis poor treatment of management over the years to the red bull fans and most recently the firing of petke. I decided to tell them to pis off. I can't support a franchise that only cares about their drink and that's it. Red bull austriA owning ny red bulls and having a team is only marketing for them. Their US marketing president even said as much. That's why they sponsor and own so many teams. It's all marketing. I still like some of the players such as Lloyd sam.and bwp and robles. But I seriously hope they lose every game forever. I want nothing but the worst for that team and management. Not to mention most of the fans Are so cynical jaded and down right miserable. I want them to lose every stinking game period. I hate them!

I think it's the only automatic rivalry for NYC. People keep pointing to New England, DC, Philly because of proximity but I don't think those rivalries are certain to take hold, it'll depend on how the games go. I think NYC could just as easily be rivals with Orlando or Columbus as DC or New England.

Red Bulls are the only sure thing at this point, purely because they share the same city. And because Red Bulls have been around for 20 years so the fans aren't exactly welcoming a new neighbor with open arms. Add in the fact that NYCFC fans are likely soccer fans who never latched on two Red Bulls for various reasons - and even some who used to be Red Bulls fans - and you have a recipe for a rivalry. Also very, very easy to attend games at both venues, so those should be a lot of fun.

So to sum up - yes, I think it's definitely a rivalry. I think it's almost certainly going to be the most important rivalry NYC has, and I also think at this early stage it's the only rivalry you can really be sure of.

I saw a guy on the field drinking a red bull. I wanted to ask him if we was crazy or from New Jersey.