Nycfc Film Breakdown: Jeb Brovsky's Superman Header

Andres Emilio Soto

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 16, 2015
NYC
thenycfcnation.com
Its been a while since I was able to break down a positive NYCFC play but there were actually quiet a few to choose from in City's recent match against the Houston Dynamo. It has not been a positive season but fans are staying strong and Robert Hobson couldn't have said it better in his first blog post on NYCFCPodcast.com. I'm sure everyone has seen this play over and over again. As heartbreaking as it is, it's still one of the greatest plays created this season and unfortunately we couldn't get a goal from it.

Before the first photo, let me set up the play for you. Patrick Mullins attempts to beat a man on the dribble but the Houston Dynamo defender (can't figure out who it was) closes in and has the ball bounce off his leg for an NYCFC throw in.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-001.jpg

Chris Wingert walks up to talk the throw in. Mix Diskerud (#10) and Khiry Shelton are both inside the penalty box. David Villa jogs towards the throw-in line and Patrick Mullins is just outside the box near the left corner flag. Jeb Brovsky is far out of the play at the moment though Alexander López (#15) has to mark Jeb in the event of a run. (Yes we're on first name basis here since I met him)

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-002.jpg

Kwadowo Poku comes into the screen of play and with the next shot (not shown) Wingert throws it to Kwadwo Poku. Note: David Villa is in an area where basically two or three Dynamo defenders have to keep an eye on.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-003.jpg

Poku receives the throw from Wingert and Villa starts to move bringing a defender with him.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-004.jpg

Poku is met by Luis Garrido (#8)

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-005.jpg

Poku takes Garrido on the dribble while Villa moves away and does a good job of drawing attention from Ricardo Clark (#13). Here Patrick Mullins now makes his way into the edge of the penalty box and Wingert is marked by that unknown defender.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-006.jpg

Garrido marks Poku tightly but he doesn't commit to tackle Poku and instead he allows him to dribble to what will eventually be a great empty lane provided by Mullins and Mix at the edge of the box. Alexander López is marking Jeb man to man but has to turn his head to see what's developing on the other side of the pitch.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-007.jpg

I love what Mix does next which is an awesome and sneaky move. He technically creates a wall/screen blocking Raúl Rodríguez (#5) from being able to provide coverage assistance against Poku. David Horst (#18) has to respect both where Mix and Mullins are positioned.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-008.jpg

Rodriguez sees the attacking Poku and now moves around Mix (who has his hands down as if he's setting up a basketball pick) to attempt to slow down Poku. By having Rodriguez now follow Poku he leaves Mix alone. Note: Jeb has now walked behind a flat footed, caught-watching López.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-009.jpg

Poku moves down the field towards the goal line and draws two defenders to him. Shelton starts to move forward a bit with Jermaine Taylor (#4) defending him. López (#15) completely ignores Jeb allowing him to walk past him and Mullins starts to move forward as well.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-010.jpg

Poku's acceleration is quicker than the ball and he actually creates a moment where he loses control and has to recuperate. By slowing down...

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-011.jpg

It actually makes Garrido and Rodríguez pause a bit. None of the defenders ever tried to stop or tackle Poku, instead they just watch him. Queue in intimidating wrestlers voice "You can't stop The Poku, you can only hope to contain him!"

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-012.jpg

Poku regains possession and carries the ball over to the end line.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-014.jpg

Poku puts on the breaks. Garrido breaks away from Poku and Rodríguez breaks too hard which forces his body to shift towards the end line. Mix is completely left wide open at this point. Khiry moves behind Taylor and Jeb is inches away from the penalty box. López still makes no attempt to cover Brovsky.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-015.jpg

This is the point where I have to image Poku see's a powder blue jersey to his far left (Jeb). Why? Because during this series I never see Poku look up to pass. Khiry positions himself too close to the goalie box and is basically hidden from view. Mullins is too close to defenders and seems to be moving towards the goalie box too. Mix! Mix is wide open and is standing in the same area where he scored his first goal against Orlando City. Mix is even asking for the ball! He's pointing!
Note: Sorry no Villa pointing clip here.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-016.jpg

In a split second Poku passes the ball off to the center of the penalty box while Rodríguez performs some ballet move.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-019.jpg

Jeb is in perfect attacking position!

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-021.jpg

He dives forward making contact with the ball. Tyler Deric (Goalie) moves across his line to view the header.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-023.jpg

And then Deric jumps to save the header.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-024.jpg

Puts a hand to the ball.

nycfc-fan-podcast-film-breakdown-vs-houston-dynamo-may-29-026.jpg

Which then hits the outside of the pole and bounces away! Truly an incredible save.

It's another unfortunate missed opportunity for NYCFC. One that would of probably sealed the game and provided a much need win, 3 points and morale booster for a team who has not won a game since March 15th!

The quality of play here is top notch. You have Poku who single-handedly creates a play out of thin air. He finds a wide open powdered blue jersey (I highly doubt he knew it was Jeb) drifting into the penalty box. Who else on our team can create this type of play? Perhaps Villa. You also have Mix creating a small screen to help Poku with his dribble. You of course have Jeb playing a heads up game by slipping into the box at the moment his defender wasn't looking. David Villa said it best in the post game interview "If Brovsky would of headed that ball high, instead of low, it would of been a goal" (paraphrased from Spanish).

NYCFC's season has been a poor one and if we swap jersey colors you can easily envision us allowing a team to create this type of scoring opportunity. Wait, now that I think of it, it almost resembles the play the New York Red Bulls created on their first goal against NYCFC.

There are a lot of questions Kreis is going to have to answer now that Mix is being called up to the USMNT. He'll be without his star midfielder for two games and will have to tinker once again with the lineup. Should Poku start? Will he keep the same diamond 4-4-2 formation he started this game with or switch to the flat 4-4-2 he ended up with?

Time will tell us soon enough and I am positive that NYCFC's "winning time" is closing in on us as well.

GO NYCFC!

mf59t.gif

I would love some feedback and if you enjoyed this breakdown you may enjoy the NYCFC Fan Podcast which you can subscribe to on iTunes or Stitcher (see signature below). Thanks

If Brovsky would of headed that ball high, instead of low, it would of been a goal
Great breakdown. One additional point:

Brovsky is not a natural scorer. Neither are most of these players. When non-scorers are put in scoring positions the outcomes are often driven by confidence. The more non-scorers are surrounded by natural scorers who comfortably find the net, the less pressure they feel to be that person who they are not.

This is one of the other things that Lampard and DP3 and any other signings could do for us. On a team that has scored 1-2 more goals per game, Jeb probably buries that because as strange as it may be, scoring is contagious. Unfortunately, not scoring can also be contagious. And right now we've got a bad case of the not scoring bug.

But much kudos to Poku and Mix for delivering the crosses to Jeb. And much kudos to Jeb for getting into the right place to receive them.

Great breakdown. One additional point:

Brovsky is not a natural scorer. Neither are most of these players. When non-scorers are put in scoring positions the outcomes are often driven by confidence. The more non-scorers are surrounded by natural scorers who comfortably find the net, the less pressure they feel to be that person who they are not.

Well said. It's easy for David Villa to say that from his experience. I mean, I probably would of been scared of diving to begin with. Great point, game play is contagious, whether it's good or bad.

One thing I noticed on the header was the placement of the shot by Jeb. His shot was pretty conservative in its location. Had he attempted to put the ball closer to the post it's a sure fire goal. However he puts the ball closer to the keeper guaranteeing that he won't miss the net and that's why the goalie was able to save the shot. Some may say I am nitpicking but in reality a better shot scores a goal and we walk away with 3 points.

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
One thing I noticed on the header was the placement of the shot by Jeb. His shot was pretty conservative in its location. Had he attempted to put the ball closer to the post it's a sure fire goal. However he puts the ball closer to the keeper guaranteeing that he won't miss the net and that's why the goalie was able to save the shot. Some may say I am nitpicking but in reality a better shot scores a goal and we walk away with 3 points.
On the other hand, Deric might be the only keeper in MLS that saves that.

Well said Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan

Yes, BxLio91 BxLio91 I am as well. I almost didn't want to put this up here without a pointing Villa. If you check the second to last photo you'll see Villa raising his arms...could that count? I promise to do better next time.
I think it's great that when Villa fails in his pointing duties, Mix steps up. It shows they're jelling as a team.

The guy laid out to get his head on the ball, put it on goal, and if you look at the pictures he did nudge it toward the post quite a bit. Unfortunately Deric made a fantastic save. Would it have gone in if Brovsky had put it a little closer to the post? Probably, but this isn't FIFA--it's not fair to Jeb to expect pinpoint accuracy on a diving header. He was in the right spot and made a really nice header, Deric just happened to make a better save.

This is just a hypothetical for discussion not a critique of Poku because it was an amazing play. Is the better pass to Mix? The pass to Mix is shorter and safer and he seems to be close to wide open as well. I am no expert so that's why I'm curious. If you are a coach working with Poku on development and you are reviewing the film with him do you say perfect job here or do you say great play but next time you might want to make the pass to Mix?

This is just a hypothetical for discussion not a critique of Poku because it was an amazing play. Is the better pass to Mix? The pass to Mix is shorter and safer and he seems to be close to wide open as well. I am no expert so that's why I'm curious. If you are a coach working with Poku on development and you are reviewing the film with him do you say perfect job here or do you say great play but next time you might want to make the pass to Mix?

Oooo good one gbservis gbservis . If Poku does pass it to Mix, do you think:
  • A) Mix will shoot or,
  • B) Pass the ball to Brovsky in the center which he may have time for.

The guy laid out to get his head on the ball, put it on goal, and if you look at the pictures he did nudge it toward the post quite a bit. Unfortunately Deric made a fantastic save. Would it have gone in if Brovsky had put it a little closer to the post? Probably, but this isn't FIFA--it's not fair to Jeb to expect pinpoint accuracy on a diving header. He was in the right spot and made a really nice header, Deric just happened to make a better save.

Ahab, great point about Jeb getting his head on the ball and being in the right spot at the right time. I guess I am just frustrated as I was sitting right there (section 212 row 1) and saw the whole play develop. Really thought we had 3 points when he got his head on the ball.

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
do you say perfect job here or do you say great play but next time you might want to make the pass to Mix?
Great pass. Do it just like that every time. You put the ball on a player 10 yards from a 2/3 open goal. Giving it to Mix he probably has to take a touch with 2 defenders in close down proximity and then curl to the far post from around 25-30 yards.

the header was the placement of the shot by Jeb. His shot was pretty conservative in its location.
Yes and no. I wish he could have nudged it a bit further to the far post as well. 3 more inches and it scores. At the same time look at the frame where Jeb makes the header. #7, DaMarcus Beasley, is between him and the far post. So Jeb actually has much less room to shoot than the keeper's position alone would suggest.

I tell him great play. I wouldn't want to have him doubting himself in situations like that going forward. That was a world class play. Incredible athleticism and vision. DEVELOP it! Do not make the safe (read: predictable) play. He makes that pass and that box closes down quickly, they get stuck dribbling around until the ball is turned over or they make an errant shot. They have shown countless times this season that they can't move the ball through the box to a scoring position quickly.

Can I comment on Shelton's positioning throughout this play? He appears slow to make a run when the defensive backs up, then he just kind of hangs out behind the defender. He is in front of the net, but there is no passing lane to him from Poku. He basically takes himself out of the play.