Nycfc Film Breakdown: The Goal I Wish We Had Against The Chicago Fire

Andres Emilio Soto

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 16, 2015
NYC
thenycfcnation.com
First I'd like to thank everyone who has given me feedback on these NYCFC breakdown series. It gives me the opportunity to talk about a game I truly love to play and watch. The past two breakdowns I chose to show how poorly our defense played. For as much crap as I gave Jason Hernandez against the Red Bulls there was one amazing defensive series he had against the Chicago Fire that I was considering on "breaking down" but I decided to go in a different direction. Hernandez's great defensive series can be found by visiting the latest podcast episode S1E20 and scrolling down to the show notes to where the video recap is. That said, no I am not going to analyze the two goals Chicago Fire had nor the two goals NYCFC had (which by the way are so fun to display again). Instead I want to pinpoint on a set play that occurred in the second half at the 46th minute.

Due to image restrictions on these forums you can see all images and GIF by visiting the original site

Let me set the scene up for you:

We just came out of wherever you come out of Yankee Stadium during the half (I still don't know what that's called) down a man, down a goal but with momentum in our side. We were just awarded a free kick toward midfield...

ScreenHunter_83-May.-19-21.54.jpg

Here we have Mix Diskerud (10) standing in the center waiving his players to move up front to ward the box. Jeb Brovsky (5) is toward the bottom of your screen, you have Patrick Mullins standing behind Mix, both Mehdi Ballouchy (20) and Andrew Jacobson toward the right of your screen. Why is Mix calling for his teammates to join him? I'm assuming it's for a set play that they practice a lot on. It's one of the finest set plays never finished.

Well here come our Boys in Blue marching down the field! Andrew is pointing to someone now. David Villa (7), furthest left, spans into the screen . Patrick Mullins moves to a certain spot on the field. Brovsky...well he's still walking up the pitch and on the upper right hand corner you have Shay Facey.

ScreenHunter_80-May.-19-21.53.jpg

In comes Jason Hernandez (running located near the right side of the ref). Everyone else on NYCFC is near the box and seem to be taking their positions. Villa starts pointing at Wingert as if to ask him to hurry up and later you'll see Wingert motion for Villa to calm down. Facey moves closer to Wingert. Brovsky still walking.

Jacobson (furthest left) is now positioning himself "behind" Villa and Mullins along the top of the box. Hernandez is still running making his way to the box to draw attention and respect since he's a defender who can threaten with a header. Wingert stays patiently observing.

ScreenHunter_82-May.-19-21.54.jpg

Here we have Jacobson now raising his hand as if he was in grade school saying "present!" and Wingert shows his hands saying clam down bro, I got you. Don't ruin the play. But I think that his (Wingerts) hand gestures was more towards to Villa.

ScreenHunter_85-May.-19-21.551.jpg

Here Hernandez (21) finally catches up to the box (that took forever) and seems to be doubling up with Mullins as if to cause some confusion with the defensive coverage scheme. Villa is pacing. Note: Mix seems to be grabbing his neck and crotch at the same time. Probably a signal that the team is ready and in position.

ScreenHunter_86-May.-19-21.56.jpg

Wingert catches the sign from Mix and raises his hand (love the communication) to let his teammates know he's about to take the free kick.

He stares down at Andrew Jacobson (I'm assuming) and is probably judging how strong the wind is blowing and from which direction. I'd say from the way his eyes reflect from the light blue jersey the wind is approximately 9MPH and coming from the North East. He looks so determined to get the ball to Jacobson.

ScreenHunter_87-May.-19-21.56-3.jpg

So focused

ScreenHunter_87-May.-19-21.56-4.jpg

Such pretty eyes

ScreenHunter_88-May.-19-21.56.jpg

Sorry got off track. Here comes the kick and before Wingert even touches the ball you see movement from NYCFC. Mullins is now running around Hernandez who looks like he's setting, to use a basketball term, a "pick". Jacobson is going one on one with a Chicago defender, hugging it out, trying to get better but at the same time stay on-sides.

Ball is kicked. Both Brovsky and Ballouchy stay back and the play starts to unfold. Mullins making his way around Hernandez.

ScreenHunter_91-May.-19-21.57.jpg

The ball soars (it's to the left of the NYCFC advertisement and above the work WILL) and here you see Mullins breaking through from the formation starting to become open. By now the ball is nearly on it's way into the box. The Chicago defenders are moving back and Jacobson broke away from his man. Mix stays along the top of the box.

ScreenHunter_92-May.-19-21.57.jpg

Both Hernandez and Mullins make their moves and the three Chicago defenders are separating themselves from Hernandez and Mullins as they start to adjust to the trajectory of the pass. Jacobson has his man beat and is settling in.

ScreenHunter_93-May.-19-21.58.jpg

Since the ball is not near him Villa starts to look over Jacobson's direction to see what may or may not happen. Both Hernandez and Mullins are wide open or at least open enough that if they were to receive the ball they could one time a shot on goal.

ScreenHunter_94-May.-19-21.58.jpg

Hernandez and Mullins have magically merged into one person. This is where the defense is fooled.
Side note: Look at all the defenders on Chicago staring at the ball yet none are marking their man.

ScreenHunter_95-May.-19-21.58.jpg

Mullins separates himself from Hernandez and positions himself in open space and I simply know that Jacobson has seen this and is starting to position his body so that he can place a beautiful header back to Mullins. Villa starts to rush towards the center.

ScreenHunter_96-May.-19-21.58.jpg

Jacobson attempts to head the ball towards Mullins.

ScreenHunter_97-May.-19-21.58.jpg

Header flies through all defenders who are not marking a wide open Mullins and now even Hernandez and Mix are in position to shoot if the ball happens to fall their way.

ScreenHunter_98-May.-19-21.59.jpg

David Villa now cuts back outside (he was faking the run) with his defender giving him his back and Mullins steps up to the pass with the defense stuck in their positions and are too slow to react.

ScreenHunter_99-May.-19-21.59.jpg

The great header from Jacobson finds Mullins' outside left foot and Villa seems to push himself away from his defender.

ScreenHunter_100-May.-19-21.59.jpg

Now here is the fork in the road to a "Choose Your Own Adventure" set piece (see end of film breakdown). I believe that Mullins wanted to shoot on goal but took a poor shot. But what if it wasn't a bad shot? This would of been an amazing set piece and probably a great candidate for goal of the week. It would of marked the first time NYCFC creates a goal from a set piece which involved strategy and complete team effort. Not to mention great tactics from Kreis and the coaching staff.

We all know how the real play ended.

The poor shot finds David Villas chest which then bounces a bit too far in front of him.

ScreenHunter_104-May.-19-22.00-e1432154090645.jpg

And then Villa fights to reach the ball as he stretches to try to tap it in while the goalie makes his move to dive and secure the ball.

ScreenHunter_106-May.-19-22.00.jpg

The goalie is successful and snatches it up.

Here's my other adventure scenario: What if Mullins instead of trying to take a shot on goal attempts to one touch pass that ball to Villa who can then control it and take a shot off his own? Villa certainly has that ability to act on instincts and would probably finish it off in style. If this happened it would of certainly been a brilliant goal.

The point of this breakdown is to showcase how our team can create such an effective strategy on their attack. It further shows that with practice and playing time they are finally starting to gel and play together. It's also a very impressive set play while playing uhhh a man down! Check it, three NYCFC players are in the final screen shot, right in front of goal and nearly scored while surrounded by 6 Chicago Fire defenders and that's not including their goalie!

Yes the 1st half performace for NYCFC in this game, sans the Ballouchy goal, was pathetic. The 2nd half was inspiring and I hope we take that to the west coast when we travel to Real Salt Lake!

Hope you enjoyed this weeks NYCFC Film Breakdown.

PS: What's Real Salt Lakes nickname? Is it Real? Salty? Lake? Not sure here.

PPS: If you want to follow me on twitter you can find me @TheAndresSoto or listen to the podcast by using the links in my signature.

Gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it odd that the planning that went into this play gets me really excited. Goes to show that they are trying !

Thanks for breaking this down too Andres

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
Is it odd that the planning that went into this play gets me really excited. Goes to show that they are trying !

Thanks for breaking this down too Andres

Yes NYCFC914 NYCFC914 I'm feeling the same way. It shows that what they are doing through practice is now happening on the field. Slowly but surely they are improving and it's very exciting to see them "evolve". Also, it's my pleasure to do these breakdowns.

Reactions: NYCFC914
In comes Jason Hernandez (running located near the right side of the ref). Everyone else on NYCFC is near the box and seem to be taking their positions. Villa starts pointing at Wingert as if to ask him to hurry up and later you'll see Wingert motion for Villa to calm down. Facey moves closer to Wingert. Brovsky still walking.
If you can work in at least one shot of Villa pointing in every one of these that would be awesome.

Andres Emilio Soto Andres Emilio Soto Do you think a better choice from Jacobson would be to head it down to villa?

Good idea but in this specific scenario Villa wasn't really open at the timing of Jacobson's header. Also due to Villa lack of height, I don't see him cutting inside the clogged defense to put a header on target and it's too small a space to bring it down to his feet. Perhaps that's a good set play for someone like Nemec, or someone his size that's actually starting, perhaps Khiry?

Or perhaps Jacobson could head it towards the back of the goal but that would have to be such an accurate pass so the goalie does not come off his line to intercept.

If Villa was open I could see Jacobson having a pass off to Villa as an alternate option.

Great point though