NYCFC II - General Discussion

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
NYCFC is part of the 21 inaugural clubs competing in MLS NEXT Pro, a lower division. We'll figure out how to create a Forums structure for this team. But until then, all talk going in this one singular thread.

(bless their hearts) don't have a development team. At least not until 2023 but they haven't announced which teams will be getting reserves in 2023

Reactions: Kjbert
(bless their hearts) don't have a development team. At least not until 2023 but they haven't announced which teams will be getting reserves in 2023

they still remain in USL championship until 2023 IIRC they had permission to do so.

EDIT: i think i read a rumor USL wanted all 2 teams out by 2022 but something was worked out since the teams wanted to remain there even though they have not been too hot lately.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
they still remain in USL championship until 2023 IIRC they had permission to do so.

EDIT: i think i read a rumor USL wanted all 2 teams out by 2022 but something was worked out since the teams wanted to remain there even though they have not been too hot lately.
And I completely forgot that USL has the 2 teams lol.

Do we know if there js an age limit here? Can Tony Rocha play here? What about Anton as he works back to fitness?

Do we know if there js an age limit here? Can Tony Rocha play here? What about Anton as he works back to fitness?

i dont think so, i think i recall reading that first team players can play there that may be returning from injury and need some reps etc.

This is an actual league so any body playing on NYCFC 2 will have to go through the process of going on loan and stuff. You aren't going to do that for a starting player trying to regain fitness. This will be for the younger homegrowns who we sign and don't get to play a lot like haak, mcfarlane, etc. they'll get high level of competition and minutes to develop and learn.

This is an actual league so any body playing on NYCFC 2 will have to go through the process of going on loan and stuff. You aren't going to do that for a starting player trying to regain fitness. This will be for the younger homegrowns who we sign and don't get to play a lot like haak, mcfarlane, etc. they'll get high level of competition and minutes to develop and learn.
Other than Rochester, they'll all be affiliated teams able to shuttle up and back easily.

Other than Rochester, they'll all be affiliated teams able to shuttle up and back easily.

I understand that. But it's still a different league with its own playoffs and championship. I don't think it's meant to be a place for first team players to hop down to when they aren't getting enough minutes and then travel with the first team whenever the first team wants.

Details are sparse at the moment, but my guess is if a player signed to the first team goes to play for the next pro squad, they'll do a loan deal like they would for a USL team in the past.

I understand that. But it's still a different league with its own playoffs and championship. I don't think it's meant to be a place for first team players to hop down to when they aren't getting enough minutes and then travel with the first team whenever the first team wants.

Details are sparse at the moment, but my guess is if a player signed to the first team goes to play for the next pro squad, they'll do a loan deal like they would for a USL team in the past.
I don't think you're right. This is an in-house league, it's not like RB2 or the other teams that played in the USL. This is going to be a massive money-loser for MLS -- the only reason to do it is for exactly those things.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
I don't think you're right. This is an in-house league, it's not like RB2 or the other teams that played in the USL. This is going to be a massive money-loser for MLS -- the only reason to do it is for exactly those things.

Yea I am not saying for sure I am right, but that is my guess. would suck to be a coach and not know who your players are going to be, then get a first teamer trying to get fit again all of a sudden and you're expected to play him? doesn't make sense to me. Guess we'll know more in the off season.

Yea I am not saying for sure I am right, but that is my guess. would suck to be a coach and not know who your players are going to be, then get a first teamer trying to get fit again all of a sudden and you're expected to play him? doesn't make sense to me. Guess we'll know more in the off season.
It just operated like a U21 or U18 team.

It just operated like a U21 or U18 team.

not sure what you mean by this. even youth teams have pre-registered rosters and player passes.

anyway - we'll see when they release more info later.

on another note.. does this image bother anybody else? why is this a line graph? lol

mp3vvulmb6lsmrrcew5t.png

not sure what you mean by this. even youth teams have pre-registered rosters and player passes.

anyway - we'll see when they release more info later.

on another note.. does this image bother anybody else? why is this a line graph? lol

mp3vvulmb6lsmrrcew5t.png
It's a terrible image.

Also, for many reserve leagues around Europe the first team players can hop in and out of reserve squad. For example, https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-2-explained

Reactions: moogoo
It's a terrible image.

Also, for many reserve leagues around Europe the first team players can hop in and out of reserve squad. For example, https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-2-explained

where in that link does it say first team players can hop in and out? not trying to be difficult. honestly didn't notice anything that mentioned it.

i don't know how it works in other leagues in the world. but the u-23 in the premier league seems like the equivalent to mls next pro. if a first teamer can just go play for nycfc 2 whenever they want, then that should be very helpful for players who don't get a lot of minutes.

where in that link does it say first team players can hop in and out? not trying to be difficult. honestly didn't notice anything that mentioned it.

i don't know how it works in other leagues in the world. but the u-23 in the premier league seems like the equivalent to mls next pro. if a first teamer can just go play for nycfc 2 whenever they want, then that should be very helpful for players who don't get a lot of minutes.
I have no way to actually prove it, weirdly enough. I can't find any info online about it. however, and i know this is a really dumb response, Football Manager does a good job with realism and squad registration rules is one of them. In the game, you can make any number of first team players (up to four over the maximum age, depending on the league you're in) avaialble for u21/23/18 etc. games.

...Terrible proof, I know! lol.

Reactions: moogoo and Joe_Cos
I have no way to actually prove it, weirdly enough. I can't find any info online about it. however, and i know this is a really dumb response, Football Manager does a good job with realism and squad registration rules is one of them. In the game, you can make any number of first team players (up to four over the maximum age, depending on the league you're in) avaialble for u21/23/18 etc. games.

...Terrible proof, I know! lol.

Good enough for me. We'll find out soon

• Haha
Reactions: Shwafta
I thought someone had mentioned this was not only for HGs and younger players but academy players as well.