NYCFC Sign Stiven Mendoza

How do we deal with having so many international spots filled??

Reactions: adam
How do we deal with having so many international spots filled??

Not to be mean, but who cares?

I'm more interested to see how he fits here. Looks like he plays as a CF or LW. Maybe this bumps Tony or Khiry out of the lineup. He played in India for a year. Good sign that he played for Corinthians, right?

I don't speak Portuguese, but it looks like we paid $14mm Real for him, which is roughly $3.5mm. Forget the international spot, what about the cap? I'm really confused.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Not to be mean, but who cares?

I'm more interested to see how he fits here. Looks like he plays as a CF or LW. Maybe this bumps Tony or Khiry out of the lineup. He played in India for a year. Good sign that he played for Corinthians, right?

Don't be mean :(

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't speak Portuguese, but it looks like we paid $14mm Real for him, which is roughly $3.5mm. Forget the international spot, what about the cap? I'm really confused.
I speak Portuguese. We did not pay that. That's what the former president said he was valued at. We have him on loan until the end of the season.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2010–2013
Envigado 9 (0) - Columbian 1st divison
2012América Cali (loan) 41 (10) - Columbian 2nd division
2013Cúcuta Deportivo (loan) 15 (4) - Columbian 1st division
2013–2014 Deportivo Cali 16 (2) - Columbian 1st division(they won league title in 2014)
2014 Chennaiyin 9 (4) - Indian super league
2015– Corinthians 10 (1) - Brazil 1st divison( They won league in 2015)
2015Chennaiyin (loan) 16 (13) - Indian super league( They won league, he got golden boot and league MVP)
2016–New York City (loan) 0 (0)

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/her...a-is-the-isls-bonafide-superstar-2553834.html decent article about him in the Indian Super League

Last edited:
wonder when we officially announce it? would be nice if we had a reporter at practice to ask

Guess we had limited cover on the wings if there was an injury so it makes sense, for 2 positions we had Taylor, Shelton, Harrison also Mata/Gomez but it is not their main position. With Harrison and Gomez unlikely to feature that much due to injury and them still being very young this move makes sense.

Reactions: Kjbert and ktdNYCFC
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Another young forward , Shelton might be missing this summer if the USA makes the Olympics soccer finals and Taylor is coming off knee surgery so you have to watch his minutes.

Maybe we get an international spot if Lampard retires or we (man city) can reach a settlement with him.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Average scoring rate for most of his teams and yet he kills it in the Indian league? Not sure how that's going to be gauged....
to be fair to him, at his earlier clubs he was only 17/18/19 and at Corinthians he lots of his apps are as a sub

Another young forward , Shelton might be missing this summer if the USA makes the Olympics soccer finals and Taylor is coming off knee surgery so you have to watch his minutes.

Maybe we get an international spot if Lampard retires or we (man city) can reach a settlement with him.
IF Lampard retires, we're either going to need that international spot for the replacement DP, or our DP has to be American. Can't think of any Americans itching to come back and are worthy of a DP spot (no, Bedoya does not make the cut), so we better hang on to the int. spot to get the most out of it.

Then again, maybe MLS is rewarding us for our win with another Int Spot..... kind of like Blackjack - we won the game (hand) and are paid by the dealer.....

to be fair to him, at his earlier clubs he was only 17/18/19 and at Corinthians he lots of his apps are as a sub
Also looks like he plays a lot of his early games on the wing rather than as an out-and-out striker, at least if the scant YouTube clips I watched are any indication:

It's always hard to tell much from these compilations. He looks quick and tenacious. He seems to love rolling around on the floor after taking contact. I'd be really curious how he handles the physicality of MLS and the less generous officiating.