Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
It's July 8th and the transfer window has officially opened.
We will be closing the rumors thread and doing a transfer thread for each window from now on.
Also a 'wish list' for just random 'I want this player' posts.

Just a couple rules.

1. Thread is for both in and out transfer rumors.
2. Please state a source. If you heard it somewhere it's not difficult to paste the link. Helps those that see your post legitimize the rumor or brush it off.
3. Don't post 'I want this player' messages. Help keep this thread on topic and let it serve its purpose.

I just scanned inter webs, I couldn't even find a rumor. Have we used up all the transfer targets?

Reactions: einwindir
Well, we haven't settled on whether either or both of the two center backs are coming. Those would be Tefu Mashamaite and Jefferson Mena. I think we can safely assume that Onyewu is not coming. Don't think there is anyone else in the mix to come in.

Departures, on the other hand...

Well, we haven't settled on whether either or both of the two center backs are coming. Those would be Tefu Mashamaite and Jefferson Mena. I think we can safely assume that Onyewu is not coming. Don't think there is anyone else in the mix to come in.

Departures, on the other hand...
Mena is new to me, could you please provide a link or description? Thanks. Tefu has been at training,

Reactions: marky365
THIS is what my thread, (the biggest thread in NYCFCforums history) got closed for?
1241699338_drogba-pissed-its-a-disgrace.gif

Can someone who is more adept at soccer please explain why we are targeting CB's? I don't our starters are that bad in comparison to other holes we have in the team.

And I thought that one of the key rules of coaching soccer was "if you have a pair of CB's who work well together, don't mess with it until the end of the season; unless one of them is stretchered off."

Because we are bringing in two new FBs and two new MFs, which leaves CB the next position to address. Plus, I don't think we've been getting the best play out of that position, particularly when we've had to rely on backups due to injury or suspension.

Can someone who is more adept at soccer please explain why we are targeting CB's? I don't our starters are that bad in comparison to other holes we have in the team.

And I thought that one of the key rules of coaching soccer was "if you have a pair of CB's who work well together, don't mess with it until the end of the season; unless one of them is stretchered off."

Even if I grant you that Hernandez is fine given his chemistry with Facey, what do we do if there's an injury? We have no depth and Facey is likely leaving at the end of the year.

Reactions: Paul

What other holes?

Attack?
We have Mullins, Shelton, Poku who are all young and need to play to develop. We also have Nemec up there with Villa. (Don't forget about Tony Taylor)

Midfield?
Mix, Pirlo, Lampard. That's three starters right there. You then have Jacoboson, Grabavoy, Alvarez, McNamara, Calle and Ballouchy there. (Poku and Shelton have also played there)

Defense is by FAR our weakest area. With injuries plaguing our back line.

What other holes?

Attack?
We have Mullins, Shelton, Poku who are all young and need to play to develop. We also have Nemec up there with Villa. (Don't forget about Tony Taylor)

Midfield?
Mix, Pirlo, Lampard. That's three starters right there. You then have Jacoboson, Grabavoy, Alvarez, McNamara, Calle and Ballouchy there. (Poku and Shelton have also played there)

Defense is by FAR our weakest area. With injuries plaguing our back line.
I think we''re fine in Midfield, sure. Our attack though is not nearly as strong as I think you're giving it credit for. Villa's great, obviously, but Mullins is the only other guy there who is, right now, MLS quality. Poku and Shelton have a ton of growing to do before they're ready to give us top shelf minutes. Nemec doesn't belong on this roster based on what we've seen so far. Tony Taylor's okay, but he's hurt and didn't play even when he was healthy.

So I do think we could use a good young attacker.

I think the frankly poor ball work that our defenders show (does Saunders pass to Facey pass to saunders, pass to hernandez pass to Saunders inaccurate long ball sound familiar?) is the biggest problem on the team right now. The biggest adjustment teams have made to us is high pressing our defense with the forwards, and that is because our CB (and FB) ball comfort and passing is way below an acceptable level.

I think the frankly poor ball work that our defenders show (does Saunders pass to Facey pass to saunders, pass to hernandez pass to Saunders inaccurate long ball sound familiar?) is the biggest problem on the team right now. The biggest adjustment teams have made to us is high pressing our defense with the forwards, and that is because our CB (and FB) ball comfort and passing is way below an acceptable level.
Just want to say that I pointed this out in the friendlies, and if I'm remembering right, folks laughed at me.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think we can safely assume that Onyewu is not coming.

It was weird how that fizzled out without a lot of information. I don't think we ever really heard about the injury...He was there for a few days and then was hurt, then crickets.

Just want to say that I pointed this out in the friendlies, and if I'm remembering right, folks laughed at me.
I think all those problems go away if Tefu is what he is billed as, and we play with Iraola, Facey, Tefu and Calle. I'm not sold on angelino until we see him play. Calle has been too good when healthy

Reactions: Paul
I think all those problems go away if Tefu is what he is billed as, and we play with Iraola, Facey, Tefu and Calle. I'm not sold on angelino until we see him play. Calle has been too good when healthy
Not being a smartass, but wasn't that only like 2 games?

Okay. Maybe a little bit of smartass, but I don't remember him playing all that much or that often. I do fully remember thinking it was a damn sight better to have him out there than the Brash Bros.

Okay. Maybe a little bit of smartass, but I don't remember him playing all that much or that often. I do fully remember thinking it was a damn sight better to have him out there than the Brash Bros.
He's shown to get up and cross decently but I'm not sure he is defensive enough to be a true LB. that's why I think we'll see Wingert out there until Angelino proves himself. Just reality not what I want.

It has only been one and a half games, but he's the only FB we've had that doesn't shit themselves when someone gets within 10 yards of them and can hit a cross more than 3 feet off the ground.

It has only been one and a half games, but he's the only FB we've had that doesn't shit themselves when someone gets within 10 yards of them and can hit a cross more than 3 feet off the ground.
I don't know that I agree that Calle has shown us much defensively. This is my view from the bleachers, but the guy has often really struggled with positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.