Off Season Friendlies

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
First one just announced:

SAN JUAN, P. R. - New York City FC – the 20th franchise in Major League Soccer (MLS) and the newest professional soccer team in the New York City area – will face the Puerto Rican National Team in a post-season friendly match on Friday, December, 11 at the Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium in Bayamón.

New York City FC is comprised of an exciting mix of internationally recognized designated players (including World Cup and Champions League winners David Villa and Andrea Pirlo and Champions League winner, Frank Lampard), the former keeper for the Puerto Rican National Team (Josh Saunders) and up-and-coming U.S. talent (such as U.S. National Team midfielder Mix Diskerud).

New York City FC vs. Puerto Rico promises to be a fantastic match in Puerto Rican football history; fans won’t want to miss it.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/09/2...national-team-play-post-season-friendly-match

i see we got our boys a good vacation spot for the offseason.

is this an indirect jab at NASL? i mean they are about to have a NASL PR team.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Well they are playing in the home stadium of Puerto Rico FC. I don't know how much of a jab it is. It's a pretty nice SSS converted from a baseball stadium.:
estadio-juan-ramon-loubriel_-5.jpg

Does anyone know how many of these off season friendlies NYCFC will be playing?
They played in 5 last season but they only started in early February because well they didn't have many players. I imagine it will be somewhere in the range of 5-10.

Is there any chance that either Pirlo, Lampard or Villa play in this match? Has to be pretty low odds, right?

Seems like odd timing for a match. It's far enough away from the end of this season to make sure nobody's ready to play, but it's also far enough away from starting the new season to make sure training's not started yet.

So basically we might be terrible.

Reactions: einwindir
When is the MLS championship match scheduled to be played? Perhaps a wild stab in the dark on my part, but I would imagine the league doesn't want matches like this played before the season is over.

I was worried the field would be in the same condition that the Cosmos played vs. Cuba, but that's a good looking field. Would expect a near-full squad, right?

MLS Cup, I believe, is the first week of December.
Yeah, I had no idea it went that long (not a bad thing, of course). I'm just used to a soccer season just ending on the last weekend, I guess. Which means that the Puerto Rico friendly will be just after the season ends, which makes a lot more sense than having it be a month and a half after the end of the season.

Reactions: Gene