Official: Sean Johnson to NYCFC

NickFromAstoria

Registered
Oct 6, 2015
New York City FC are delighted to announce that Sean Johnson has joined the club.

The 27-year old goalkeeper becomes our second signing of the winter, following striker Sean Okoli to Yankee Stadium.

Johnson, who has spent the past six seasons at Chicago Fire, joins from Atlanta United who acquired the US International in Sunday’s trade window.

NYCFC have agreed to trade General Allocation Money and Target Allocation Money to Atlanta United in exchange for the Georgia-born stopper.

Recognized as one of the most consistent no.1s in Major League Soccer and boasting five international caps for the USMNT, Sean will compete for the NYCFC no.1 jersey in the 2017 season.

Head Coach Patrick Vieira welcomed Johnson to the club and stated his belief that at just 27, Johnson is a goalkeeper with his best years still ahead of him.

Vieira told NYCFC.com: "I'm really pleased that we have added Sean to our roster for 2017.

"Competition for places in our squad is important across every position and we believe we've signed a goalkeeper with a huge amount of experience in this league, with his best years still ahead.

"I'm really looking forward to working with him when we return for training after the holidays."

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/12/11/nycfc-acquires-sean-johnson-atlanta-united

GAM & TAM sounds like we paid a heavy price I'm sure they'll never release the real amount. Hopefully it includes a handshake deal that they'll draft Mix in the expansion draft and that allocation money is to offset some of his salary.

GAM & TAM sounds like we paid a heavy price I'm sure they'll never release the real amount. Hopefully it includes a handshake deal that they'll draft Mix in the expansion draft and that allocation money is to offset some of his salary.
To add to this I believe if a player is taken in the expansion draft the new club has some kind of protection against the players contract. Something like they'll be able to cut him without cap hits or something along those lines so this actually might be plausible.

Reactions: adam
To add to this I believe if a player is taken in the expansion draft the new club has some kind of protection against the players contract. Something like they'll be able to cut him without cap hits or something along those lines so this actually might be plausible.

It's about time we put the MLS Rube Goldberg Machine to our use.

It's about time we put the MLS Rube Goldberg Machine to our use.
lol it's the MLS way
giphy.gif

There's some clause regarding renegotiating a contract, but I don't know it's full scope. If they can cut Mix if he doesn't renegotiate, then hopefully MLS is on the hook for his full amount, because otherwise that's a real slimy loophole to cut a person with a no-trade clause.

There's some clause regarding renegotiating a contract, but I don't know it's full scope. If they can cut Mix if he doesn't renegotiate, then hopefully MLS is on the hook for his full amount, because otherwise that's a real slimy loophole to cut a person with a no-trade clause.
Yeah I'd imagine he still gets his money and the MLS will still own his contract so they would let him leave and use his future earnings to offset his current salary.

You are welcome guys! As 413Blue mentioned above, this is as good of a GK in MLS as there is. His age plus his abilities (athletic, commanding, good leg, great reflexes, vocal, etc.) hopefully he can stay with us for many years to come as our number 1 gk. Reminds of the ways prior GKs in the past such as Rimando, Busch, Kennedy, etc moved around a couple of times before landing at their main clubs for a number of years.

Once again I take full credit, you are welcome! =)

Teams are required to protect players with no trade clause in the expansion draft. If Mix is not protected we would know he doesn't have one.

I wanted to give Lurch a shot for a season and use the salary, GAM, TAM on midfielders. Can he play out the back? I'm not convinced by the move.
Yep, even if we somehow move both Mix and Saunders, we're not really coming out that much ahead. SJ is $100k more than JS and we gave both GAM and TAM away to get him. I would seriously doubt it was $50&50 - at the very least $100&100 which would mean we're left with $450k for a new player to replace Mix - that's a hell of a dropoff from a $750k caliber player.

We'd have been better off keeping JS as a backup and buying Mix' contract out which leaves us with $750k to play with. Or see if Mix is selected, and if so, then buy out JS and have $900k to get two+ players.

SJ has to be a stellar pick up with his play or this was a trash move from a numbers perspective.

Reactions: Kjbert