On This Day in NYCFC History

On August 8, 2019, NYCFC fell behind 1-2 at '77 despite a Houston Dynamo red card at '29. But a late brace from sub Taty Castellanos gave NYC the win. Game also featured a 1 hour lightning delay.

Ah, i remember this game. I brought my friend to his first NYCFC game and he had to leave early due to the delay :(

Side note, how are you finding the timeline of things happening on certain days, or do you just remember? I'm wondering if there's a site that aggregates events for teams by day of the year and that's how you're finding it?

Ah, i remember this game. I brought my friend to his first NYCFC game and he had to leave early due to the delay :(

Side note, how are you finding the timeline of things happening on certain days, or do you just remember? I'm wondering if there's a site that aggregates events for teams by day of the year and that's how you're finding it?
I use my spreadsheets with basic data of every game: date, opponent H/A score, etc. It takes about 20 seconds to scan each year for the specific date. The idea was prompted by Facebook's "memories" feature because I posted about the Villa hat trick back when I was more active there.

Yesterday there was one game, a 2-2 draw against Toronto. I will post ties and losses, but something has to catch my interest.

I use my spreadsheets with basic data of every game: date, opponent H/A score, etc. It takes about 20 seconds to scan each year for the specific date. The idea was prompted by Facebook's "memories" feature because I posted about the Villa hat trick back when I was more active there.

Yesterday there was one game, a 2-2 draw against Toronto. I will post ties and losses, but something has to catch my interest.
This makes me think of a really cool idea for sports teams to track events by day on aggregate. Something like a website to track this, or a service. I'm sure leagues and teams do it internally because I've seen my fair share of "on this day..." Posts!

Reactions: mgarbowski
On August 11, 2019 NYCFC lost to Atlanta 1-2. United seemed to score first on a Miles Robinson header from a Pity Martinez free kick, but it was called back because Robinson pushed Callens. A Josef Martinez brace built a 2-0 lead (one via PK), with Josef setting an MLS record scoring in 10 consecutive games. Héber pulled one back for NYCFC at 81', but that's how it ended. Still, NYCFC recovered by taking 23 of the next 27 points before losing again.

On August 12, 2018 NYCFC defeated Toronto 3-2. Jozy Altidore was shown a red at 11' for kicking Alex Callens in the shin. Despite that, the game was tied 2-2 at '51 on goals by Villa, Giovinco, Shradi and Vazquez. Shradi handled it late securing a brace and a win at '88. This game represented NYCFC's only win in a nine game stretch as NYCFC slumped terribly in the second half of 2018 after the Vieira to Torrent handoff.

On August 12, 2018 NYCFC defeated Toronto 3-2. Jozy Altidore was shown a red at 11' for kicking Alex Callens in the shin. Despite that, the game was tied 2-2 at '51 on goals by Villa, Giovinco, Shradi and Vazquez. Shradi handled it late securing a brace and a win at '88. This game represented NYCFC's only win in a nine game stretch as NYCFC slumped terribly in the second half of 2018 after the Vieira to Torrent handoff.

I know there’s been a lot of Villa Erasure around this club, but damn he was a very skilled striker that really gave this club an identity to rally around in those early years. With that being said I’m glad we had Taty to grow into and fill the striker sized hole in our hearts and minds when Villa was rightfully dumped.

On August 13, 2015, NYCFC defeated DC United 3-1 to sit on 27 points after 24 games. That's one more point than NYCFC has after 24 games n 2023 games right now. Lampard was a DNP just 2 games after he finally showed up. The defense was a sieve. Saunders had a strong save three minutes in; RJ Allen almost kicked the rebound into the net before Shay Facey cleared it. Pirlo had a terrible turnover that led directly to DC's goal. He also had a beautiful through ball for a Villa finish. T-Mac and Poku also scored. Poku was in the middle of almost every NYCFC chance.
In the next and final 10 games of the season NYCFC went 3W 6L 1T despite numerous summer window additions, which I mention for no particular reason.
NYCFC has played 4 games on August 13.

Major League Soccer Football GIF by NYCFC

On September 11, 2021 NYCFC fell to the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium. NYC was without Maxi Moralez, Jesus Medina, Gudi Thorarinssen, and Alex Callens. This was the second of a 10-game stretch in which NYCF won only once. NYCFC managed a better result at Gellette in the conference semi.

The sequence that led to the Santi goal off a Taty assist starts around 0:46 and is very pretty.

On this day in 2022 NYCFC had a ridiculous late collapse against Comunicaciones and barely escaped. In minute 69 of the second leg NYCFC led 5-2 on aggregate only to let Comunicaciones score 3 goals in less than 20 minutes. NYCFC advanced because of Away goals.

Oh, and this was also the day of the First Historic Home Opener in 2015.

ETA: GTFO CONCACAF with your lame video restrictions.

Last edited:
On this day in 2018 Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scored his first goal in his first start with NYCFC, and the team completed it's first and so far only 3-0-0 start with a 2-0 victory over Orlando at Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: moogoo
On this day in 2018 Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scored his first goal in his first start with NYCFC, and the team completed it's first and so far only 3-0-0 start with a 2-0 victory over Orlando at Yankee Stadium.

Wasn’t this the game delayed 45 mins because Orlando’s bus was stuck in St Patrick’s Day traffic.

• Haha
Reactions: LionNYC and JayH