Other Leagues 22-23

Davo15

Registered
May 20, 2014
Hamden CT
Not sure what else besides the EPL and Budesliga other people on here follow . Figure we don't need separate thread for all of them but nice to have a place to talk about them.

My top team on the Continent is Marseille as I have some French blood and spent an entire month there once upon a time , attended all four home (ligue one and Europa league matches) and went to cafes and sipped on pastis watching the away matches during my stay . I was pleasantly surprised with the opening weekend result which was a 4-1 win over Reims. Igor Tudor took over as manager after Sampaoli quit over disagreements with management over transfers. The pre season was disaster losing friendlies to both Middlesborough and Norwitch and barely scoring a goal. So despite finishing second last year and being in champions league they came into this season somewhat unfancied. Hit the ground running when the whistle blew for real though. Nuno Tavares on loan from Arsenal particularly impressed and Luis Suarez (younger/Columbian ) made like his name sake and came off the bench to score a brace.

BUMP:

Marseille singed Alexis Sanchez today. Big name signing and supporters are excited. I'm just hoping he has anything left.

Bergwijn scored a hat trick for Ajax in a 6-1 win over Gronigen . Funny what a change of scenery can sometimes do for a player.

Marseille held 1-1 by Brest Sanchez on in the second didn't do much. Still in second because no one but PSG (who will run away with it again) on max points.

Celtic , another team I can't stand, went out and emulated Liverpool winning 9-0 against Dundee United this morning Old firm is Next Saturday should be a nice test for our boy Sands.

Marseille beat Nice 3-0 with a brace from Alexis Sanchez maybe he's not washed up after all? My fingers are crossed. Sadly best they can really hope for is second to PSG.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/atletic...sub-this-seasonbut-its-all-part-of-their-plan

This whole situation is ridiculous . Atletico are using their best and highest paid player strictly as a half hour super sub so as not to trigger the 40 million pound buy out clause if he plays at least 45 minutes in 14 games.

Barca are arguing he fulfilled the obligations of the contract last year so they are already obligated to pay, so this might actually go to a lawsuit if barca actually hold on

https://www.espn.com/soccer/atletic...sub-this-seasonbut-its-all-part-of-their-plan

This whole situation is ridiculous . Atletico are using their best and highest paid player strictly as a half hour super sub so as not to trigger the 40 million pound buy out clause if he plays at least 45 minutes in 14 games.
European football is broken. It makes money in vast quantities, but it is broken. An entire continent is mad over the sport, but meaningful competition is limited to 3-5 teams (often less) in each country. In UCL, we can all predict the final 8 teams for the next 5 years and probably get 80% correct. And they're all deathly afraid of ever slipping, because once you do climbing back is incredibly daunting. As a result, nobody can afford not to overpay for players, but then they cannot actually afford their wage and transfer bill.
The ridiculous Griezman situation is a result of Barcelona agreeing to pay him too much, and Atletico agreeing to pay too high of a transfer fee, and neither can afford it. But they cannot do otherwise. If you slip off the treadmill you can't ever be sure you will get back on.
Then we complain about oligarchs running the best teams, but the system makes it near impossible to compete otherwise, and especially hard to break through. Bayern has no competition domestically but can't break through in Europe. Both situations have been true for a decade and probably will remain true for the next decade because German rules about club ownership insulate Munich in the Bundesliga and hamper them in UCL.
Even England is turning into a 1.5 team league in terms of winning the PL.
I don't have a fix, because I don't think it can be fixed without limiting player freedom.

European football is broken. It makes money in vast quantities, but it is broken. An entire continent is mad over the sport, but meaningful competition is limited to 3-5 teams (often less) in each country. In UCL, we can all predict the final 8 teams for the next 5 years and probably get 80% correct. And they're all deathly afraid of ever slipping, because once you do climbing back is incredibly daunting. As a result, nobody can afford not to overpay for players, but then they cannot actually afford their wage and transfer bill.
The ridiculous Griezman situation is a result of Barcelona agreeing to pay him too much, and Atletico agreeing to pay too high of a transfer fee, and neither can afford it. But they cannot do otherwise. If you slip off the treadmill you can't ever be sure you will get back on.
Then we complain about oligarchs running the best teams, but the system makes it near impossible to compete otherwise, and especially hard to break through. Bayern has no competition domestically but can't break through in Europe. Both situations have been true for a decade and probably will remain true for the next decade because German rules about club ownership insulate Munich in the Bundesliga and hamper them in UCL.
Even England is turning into a 1.5 team league in terms of winning the PL.
I don't have a fix, because I don't think it can be fixed without limiting player freedom.
Can't break through in Europe? ;)
1662733330069.png

Marseille knocked PSG out of the French cup in the round of 16 2-1. It feels so good to actually beat them for a change but now they need to make it count. Last 8 and the toughest obstacle out of the way been far too long since L'OM brought the cup back to the Velodrome. Likely no one else on here cares but at least you've heard of the teams unlike most people I know IRL so I couldn't help but post this on here to gloat. :D

Would I be too forward to say we should make separate Girona or Leeds threads just because we tend to discuss those teams more than most others? Im just thinking we now have Girona conversation in both the Callens, Taty, and other football threads and it feels a bit difficult to follow. Plus Leeds gets put in EPL and USMNT. But, I also understand that then brings about the counter argument of a separate MCFC thread and I think we would then be getting into the weeds.

Edit: as said below i meant threads not forums

Last edited:
Would I be too forward to say we should make separate Girona forum or Leeds forums just because we tend to discuss those teams more than most others? Im just thinking we now have Girona conversation in both the Callens, Taty, and other football threads and it feels a bit difficult to follow. Plus Leeds gets put in EPL and USMNT. But, I also understand that then brings about the counter argument of a separate MCFC forum and I think we would then be getting into the weeds.
Maybe dedicated threads, but more forums is just going to spread things around.

The second leg of the League one promotion playoff between Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough United today was insane. Wednesday came back from losing the away leg 4-0. Got the fourth goal to force extra time in the 96th before falling behind in Extra Time to an own goal only to equalize again and win on PK's. I'd recommend checking out the highlights if you get a chance.

Reactions: JayH and Joe_Cos