Player Development

Mikeylito

Registered
Elite Donor
Mar 31, 2014
Bay Shore
mikeylito.blog
Is there someone on NYCFC Forums who can speak to how New York City FC does player development as opposed to the rest of the league? As a former Los Angeles county resident and Galaxy supporter, I'm curious how NYCFC's plan stacks up against others in the league.

For example, Galaxy has their academy, a USL side and the MLS side.
Red Bull has a U21 team in PDL, a USL side and the MLS side. I don't know if they have academies, although I assume they do.

On the other hand, I know nothing of what NYCFC is doing. I get the uneasy feeling that City Football Group is using New York City (and Melbourne City) the way Jose Vergara used Chivas USA for Chivas Guadalajara. I feel the USL affiliation with Wilmington was a half-hearted stopgap measure to satisfy the MLS/USL affiliation agreement. Will we wake up one day and there be an NYCFC 2 or will there be "Wilmington City"?

Just what is bubbling under the surface with CFG's prize MLS side?
I stand to be educated.

Is there someone on NYCFC Forums who can speak to how New York City FC does player development as opposed to the rest of the league? As a former Los Angeles county resident and Galaxy supporter, I'm curious how NYCFC's plan stacks up against others in the league.

Red Bull has a U21 team in PDL, a USL side and the MLS side. I don't know if they have academies, although I assume they do.

On the other hand, I know nothing of what NYCFC is doing. I get the uneasy feeling that City Football Group is using New York City (and Melbourne City) the way Jose Vergara used Chivas USA for Chivas Guadalajara. I feel the USL affiliation with Wilmington was a half-hearted stopgap measure to satisfy the MLS/USL affiliation agreement. Will we wake up one day and there be an NYCFC 2 or will there be "Wilmington City"?

I stand to be educated.
Let your mind be at ease. So they just started their Youth Academy and have 11 I believe youth affiliates that will funnel players into the academy. the academy is only 9-11 right now but will grow as time goes on. They are also rumored to be starting a USL team in 2016. They will easily have one of the best academies in the MLS fairly quickly.

Reactions: Mikeylito
What would be pretty cool is if we eventually have the premier American player playing on our team from youth to MLS. And is hopefully not poached by MCFC, though maybe it'd be to our national team's benefit.

Reactions: gbservis
There was another thread similar to this talking about the development of younger talent.
- We'll have a USL team in 2016 or beyond. If we move to Columbia University, they'll be playing their matches at the 5,000 capacity Columbia soccer stadium. If we don't move they'll play at our practice site or maybe Icahn or somewhere else. This will be the equivalent to the EDS at MCFC except we'll probably have some players over 21.
- If we're going for the full CFG effect, we'll establish an academy/school and bring youths from all over the world to be educated (schooling) and develop soccering. They may compete in the high school level as an actual school in NYC.
- And since college is important to players in America in terms of life after soccer, NYCFC will either have a program/relationship with Columbia or a better soccer club (maybe North Carolina, they're also sky blue).

Looking at the Galaxy I just think the Academy is going to be so key to us achieving our potential. How long do you think it'll take ? as a new club 5 years? before we start developing our own players. I just think it's the perfect model with our money, market, appeal etc. bring in the star players and surround them with home growns. It's the massive disadvantage we're at right now in not being able to supplement around the top players we have.

I stand to be educated.

NYCFC has a few youth affiliate clubs that they pretty much pay a few thousand dollars to put their logo on their practice kits, and to possibly scout players through those affiliate clubs in the future. I happen to play on one of the affiliate clubs actually.

In the end I think they will make their own academy, similar to the Red Bull Academy (which 3 of my school soccer team teammates play on). But you never know what's gonna happen, it's CFG.