Podcasts (because Mark loves them so)

FootyLovin

No better obsession
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Feb 15, 2015
Sea Cliff NY
We've done movies, TV, books. Seems about time we get with the times.

I'll start with one suggestion. I particularly like long form investigative podcasts. Let me spend a whole season of 5-10 episodes following a single deep story arch. A quality podcast makes this totally addictive.

Arguably my favorite: Wind of Change

I'll post the pod description, since if I described it I'd surely go overboard. I'll just say that I found it 100% riveting.

It’s 1990. The Berlin Wall just fell. The Soviet Union is on the verge of collapse. And the soundtrack to the revolution is one of the best selling songs of all time, the metal ballad “Wind of Change,” by the Scorpions.Decades later, journalist Patrick Radden Keefe heard a rumor: the song wasn’t written by the Scorpions. It was written by the CIA. This is his journey to find the truth.Wind of Change is an Original Series from Pineapple Street Studios, Crooked Media and Spotify.

So what are all of your fave pods?

I'm in Mark's boat as to where I refuse to get into the world of podcasts. I know there is some pure gold content out there, I just dont feel like searching it out. I guess this is a good thread to follow because if someone sells me enough on something, I moght check it out!

Anyway, I did recently get caught up in WSJ's recent series "Bad Bets" which chronicled the rise and fall of Enron. I found it to be worth the time.

My commute is roughly an hour. Podcasts make it simple.

For me, podcasts are radio that I can control. Even the best SiriusXM channel forces one to switch stations.

If one wants to try, a few suggestions:

1) Listen during a known, uninterrupted time period (commute, painting a room, running, cooking, etc.).
2) Try each podcast twice.
3) Have a collection of podcasts that have different lengths.

The third is key. I have podcasts in my rotation that are 90 minutes, 60 minutes, and 15 minutes. I have found that when I stop a podcast in the middle, I often do not finish...which hardly keeps interest.

For recommendations:

99% Invisible is a favorite. There are episodes of several lengths and there is no need to listen in any particular order - browse the back catalog. The podcast focuses on design - originally architecture and urban design, but it has shifted to design in all venues. There have been episodes on the benefit of revolving doors, how # became a standard for social media, dazzle camouflage for WWII boats (Google it), etc. If you cannot find one episode that interests you, you aren't trying hard enough.

This American Life. The old reliable. Almost always one hour long and a variety of subjects. I don't listen to all, but appreciate the ones that I do.

Soccer 101 from the Total Soccer Show. Recommending this if you have someone in your life you want to bring into the world of soccer. An offshoot of Total Soccer Show, Soccer 101 offers simple, often short, episodes that explain soccer terminology, history, and tactics. There are several soccer podcasts for all levels of fandom - this one is perfect if you know someone new to fandom.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Since my name is on the thread I'll drop this here before leaving you all be:

Someone please trick Mark into listening to Marc Maron’s podcast

Someone please trick Mark into listening to Marc Maron’s podcast
I think mgarbowski mgarbowski has only been exposed to podcasts that are essentially talk radio. If that's all I had ever heard I'd hate podcasts too.

I love investigative journalism (e.g., wind of change), education (soccer 101 sounds great), science (e.g., ologies - another of my favorites) podcasts.

Guys, you need to stop thinking if I just heard a certain podcast or type of podcast I would change my mind. Life doesn't work that way, and I think you all know this. Different people like different things and that's OK.

Let me try to close this by making three points about me that explains why I don't like podcasts. There's no reason to argue because I'm literally discussing myself and not podcasts:
  1. I process information much, much better by reading than listening.
  2. I lack the patience that would let me listen regularly,even if interesting, because I know I could read the same material faster if written down.
  3. I have an extremely active inner monologue running in my head 24/7 that distracts me and makes it hard to listen to books or podcasts because I constantly realize I wasn't paying attention for anywhere from 20 seconds to several minutes. I can be walking to the subway in the morning, listening to a book or whatever, then I see a bird and my mind just goes Shakespeare-NYCFC-Bus-Aristophanes-Password-Birds-Dinosaurs-Jeff Goldblum-Geena Davis-wait what's that I'm listening to?
Podcasts ain't for me, but I'm glad you all enjoy them.

Last edited:
I don't listen to podcasts except for one which is three guys that discuss the ridiculousness of their lives for an hour a week. they just yell at each other for an hour and it's just fun to listen to in the background while i am doing other things.

I tried for a while getting into informational podcasts specifically in my work genre but I just can't get into them.

I think mgarbowski mgarbowski has only been exposed to podcasts that are essentially talk radio. If that's all I had ever heard I'd hate podcasts too.

I love investigative journalism (e.g., wind of change), education (soccer 101 sounds great), science (e.g., ologies - another of my favorites) podcasts.
At the risk of explaining my own “joke” I’m pretty sure Mark G would hate Mark M’s podcast, his posts (including the one below) just reminded me of why I stopped listening to WTF a long time ago

13 Minutes to the Moon by the BBC covers the Apollo 11 mission in depth and is nothing short of spectacular.

The Rewatchables goes back to discuss classic movies and is a lot of fun when discussing one that you know well.

Ok. What is the best single app for podcast listening on android?
I noticed most podcasts say "listen to us on (like 5 apps) or wherever you get you're podcasts" so it seems like all mainstream apps have mostly every podcast, except maybe a few exclusives like Rogan which I probably won't listen to.
I want free, minimally invasive ads, and something that has a clean and easy interface. Special points for something that has a decent music streaming portion built in, but not required.

Ok. What is the best single app for podcast listening on android?
I noticed most podcasts say "listen to us on (like 5 apps) or wherever you get you're podcasts" so it seems like all mainstream apps have mostly every podcast, except maybe a few exclusives like Rogan which I probably won't listen to.
I want free, minimally invasive ads, and something that has a clean and easy interface. Special points for something that has a decent music streaming portion built in, but not required.
Can't comment on Android.

For iPhone I use Overcast - excellent player.

Reactions: Seth
Just listened to Blue Balls and currently listening to Blue City Radio. Without giving my own opinion, I was fascinated how basically their reactions to the Miami game were basically opposites of each other. I’m curious everyone’s takes on the two opinions given by the two sets of hosts. I’m hoping to get SoupInNYC SoupInNYC ‘s specific thoughts as a person who know all the hosts personally.

I listen to Blue Balls, love it, and I can't listen to Blue City Radio due to the host's verbal tic (IYKYK). What was the point of contrast? Was it Bakrar?

Reactions: JCMore
I listen to Blue Balls, love it, and I can't listen to Blue City Radio due to the host's verbal tic (IYKYK). What was the point of contrast? Was it Bakrar?
Bakrar and the goal basically. Blue balls held a much more positive view on both. And even pointed out that they had some rose tinted glasses. But yeah BBs said that atleast Bakrar is having the teams shots/shots on goals increasing and makes the system function properly which is an improvement over the middle of the season. Then they mentioned they blamed the system more than just Ledesma on the goal. Whereas BCR basically wanted to put Bakrar’s and Ledesma’s heads on pikes along with Nick Cushings. It was kinda funny and I wish I had listened to BCR first before BBs because BBs mentioned the talking points and negativity of BCR (without listening to the podcast first, I might add) and then delved into each of the points further and were saying that the things that the fans are so aggrieved about should be looked at with a bit more grace and see the team is actually improving. It was interesting to hear BBs claim that Messi-less Miami is now a formidable team under Tata and the point away is a good deserved result, where BCR said Messi-less Miami should have been 3 points for us. Just completely different takes from two very different podcasts. I will say I prefer the antics and analysis and overall quality of BBs over BCR which feels more professional and counterintuitively a less-analytical show.

Bakrar and the goal basically. Blue balls held a much more positive view on both. And even pointed out that they had some rose tinted glasses. But yeah BBs said that atleast Bakrar is having the teams shots/shots on goals increasing and makes the system function properly which is an improvement over the middle of the season. Then they mentioned they blamed the system more than just Ledesma on the goal. Whereas BCR basically wanted to put Bakrar’s and Ledesma’s heads on pikes along with Nick Cushings. It was kinda funny and I wish I had listened to BCR first before BBs because BBs mentioned the talking points and negativity of BCR (without listening to the podcast first, I might add) and then delved into each of the points further and were saying that the things that the fans are so aggrieved about should be looked at with a bit more grace and see the team is actually improving. It was interesting to hear BBs claim that Messi-less Miami is now a formidable team under Tata and the point away is a good deserved result, where BCR said Messi-less Miami should have been 3 points for us. Just completely different takes from two very different podcasts. I will say I prefer the antics and analysis and overall quality of BBs over BCR which feels more professional and counterintuitively a less-analytical show.
Thanks for the review. IIRC BB said no-Messi Miami was not shit anymore but not good either. They said the draw felt like a loss. They also said (as you recounted) that Bakrar was playing well, except for his final shot, and enabling the team to play in a different and much better way than previously. And they poo-poo'ed the idea that any #9 could come in and provide that and be a better finisher on top--they think Bakrar's movement and vision are excellent, just what you want from a 9 (even in some ways more than Taty, who was a different kind of player) and that the goals will come. Time will tell.

Reactions: JCMore