Potential Free Agent Moves

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
With free agency looming for the first time in MLS, we should keep track of which players are eligible and might be targets for NYCFC (or might be leaving NYCFC).

In order to qualify for free agency, a player must meet the following criteria.

- at least 28 years old
- at least 8 years of service in MLS
- not be earning the maximum salary ($426,250 or more)
- have a contract that is expiring (not sure about this one, since contracts are with the league)
If a player pursues free agency, there are limits to the increase in salary he can receive that are based on his current salary: up to 25% for those earning 100K or less, up to 20% for those earning 100K-200K, up to 15% for those earning over 200K.

The link below has a list of players that meet the 28/8 criteria (which is at least 28 years old and 8 years of MLS service). I can't vouch for the accuracy of the list or whether the players have contracts that expire after the season.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/7/17/8259223/mls-salaries-potential-free-agents-2015-2016

There are 5 NYCFC players on the list at that site: Ballouchy, Grabavoy, Hernandez, Saunders, Wingert.

Reactions: Paul and Gene
We don't know which players might negotiate but it's still very interesting.

I see quite a few defenders that would nice to get. Dominic Oduro or Justin Mapp might be nice. Any chance of reuniting Will Johnson with Kreis at NYCFC?

Good find.

I think they key is that they qualify for free agency - but they have to opt out. Don't see a Grabavoy, Hernandez or Wingert opting out of their deals. Not when they all take home about 200k a year.

I think they key is that they qualify for free agency - but they have to opt out. Don't see a Grabavoy, Hernandez or Wingert opting out of their deals. Not when they all take home about 200k a year.
Unless NYCFC tells them their not getting playing time next year. Doubtful but it's possible.

Some really interesting names on there. Alan Gordon, Robbie Rogers, Chris Tierney, Dax McCarty, Nat Borchers, Will Johnson, Jamison Olave, Chad Marshall.

For the cost of one Adam Nemec, one Chris Wingert and one Ned Grabavoy, you could have had Alan Gordon, Robbie Rogers and Chad Marshall last year.

Unless NYCFC tells them their not getting playing time next year. Doubtful but it's possible.

Why? Chris Wingert isn't getting a guaranteed $225,000 next year doing anything other than playing soccer. He would have to get a guaranteed multiple year contract to even consider it because I can't imagine someone paying him more than $100,000 a year now.

Some really interesting names on there. Alan Gordon, Robbie Rogers, Chris Tierney, Dax McCarty, Nat Borchers, Will Johnson, Jamison Olave, Chad Marshall.

For the cost of one Adam Nemec, one Chris Wingert and one Ned Grabavoy, you could have had Alan Gordon, Robbie Rogers and Chad Marshall last year.
Well it's not so simple, those guys probably like where they are and wouldn't want to come to NYC. But I agree that initial list looks inviting.

I think Free Agency window starts after MLS Cup. Maybe we can start using social media to campaign them to do it? LOL.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why? Chris Wingert isn't getting a guaranteed $225,000 next year doing anything other than playing soccer. He would have to get a guaranteed multiple year contract to even consider it because I can't imagine someone paying him more than $100,000 a year now.
Is Wingert and others on guaranteed contracts for 2016?

Anyways, we already know Wingerts got a job here next year. I rather focus my limited brain cells in this thread on potential new signings not who would be leaving.

Well it's not so simple, those guys probably like where they are and wouldn't want to come to NYC. But I agree that initial list looks inviting.

I think Free Agency window starts after MLS Cup. Maybe we can start using social media to campaign them to do it? LOL.

Nemec and Calle are definitely off the books. Why not offer Nat Borchers a $100,000 raise? Pay him $325,000. He essentially wipes out the Nemec savings, but he is also worth that. Make Portland match. They probably will, but who knows.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Is Wingert and others on guaranteed contracts for 2016?

Anyways, we already know Wingerts got a job here next year. I rather focus my limited brain cells in this thread on potential new signings not who would be leaving.

Yes, I believe it has been stated on here that Wingert and Grabavoy are on guaranteed deals. I don't know about Ballouchy. I think Kwame and Hernandez are NOT on guaranteed deals.

Not true, there's no "opting out." They have to be a 28/8 and have an expiring contract. If Grabavoy signed a three-year guaranteed contract last year, he wouldn't go to free agency because he'd still be playing under that contract.

Free agency status simply refers to when a team's rights on a player expire. They always have rights when the player is under contract. They also have rights to the player when he's under 28/8, even out of a contract. It's the 28/8 players that are also out of a contract that become free agents.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
David Horst @ $102K would be a steal and please me very much, thank you.
Here's my want list:

Player Age Position
Jeff Larentowicz 31 D
Marc Burch 30 D
Michael Harrington 29 D
Drew Moor 31 D
Sean Franklin 29 D
Robbie Rogers 28 D
Chris Tierney 29 D
Tony Beltran 27 D
Chad Marshall 30 D
Chance Myers 27^ D
Jordan Harvey 31 D
Dominic Oduro 29 F
Dan Kennedy 32 GK
Dax McCarty 27 M
Justin Mapp 30 M
Eric Avila 27^ M
Will Johnson 28 M
Shea Salinas 28 M
Brad Evans 29 M/D
Patrick Nyarko 29 M/F

Question for you - if you have $775,000 to spend (Nemec, Calle, Grabavoy) - how would you spend it on that list? I think we have to assume that one of Marshall/Evans will never be available and that Dax McCarthy and Will Johnson will not be available either. I will leave Robbie Rogers unprotected because the Galaxy need to make some moves entering next year.

Question for you - if you have $775,000 to spend (Nemec, Calle, Grabavoy) - how would you spend it on that list? I think we have to assume that one of Marshall/Evans will never be available and that Dax McCarthy and Will Johnson will not be available either. I will leave Robbie Rogers unprotected because the Galaxy need to make some moves entering next year.

Pirlo only counted for half a DP slot last year, so we probably have around 550kish to spend

Reactions: Kjbert
Here's my want list:

Player Age Position

Jeff Larentowicz 31 D

Dan Kennedy 32 GK
Those two guys also caught my eye.

Don't mean to nit pick, but Larentowicz is 32 and will turn 33 in early August. According to the link (iirc) he'll get over $300K. That's sounds a little too steep for me.

I've always liked Kennedy, however after coming off the injured list and taking the starting job, he was replaced buy a rookie and hasn't played since mid-August. In all fairness I have no idea if it was due to injury or lack of form. A GK's age isn't necessarily a cause for concern (he's 2 year younger than Josh), but imho I could live with another years of Saunders at half the salary Kennedy would get. I'd like to see those potential precious FA Garber Bucks go elsewhere.

That's why I think a guy like Horst would be an amazing addition and go a long way in strengthening the D.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Salinas, Myers, Oduro and Tierney would be good pieces to have for around $775k

We don't know which players might negotiate but it's still very interesting.

I see quite a few defenders that would nice to get. Dominic Oduro or Justin Mapp might be nice. Any chance of reuniting Will Johnson with Kreis at NYCFC?

Good find.

From watching him for two years when I was in Chicago I can say Oduro has considerable attitude and injury issues. When he doesn't get the ball over the top the first couple of times he runs for it he sulks for the next 5 min and doesn't make runs. When the other team knocks him around a bit and he doesn't get a call he fades out of the game and avoids more contact. He bounces around from team to team in my opinion because of the attitude issues. Not a huge fan of how his cherry pick at the midfield line and then out run people game would work with Villa. He would make a nice outlet target over the top for Prilo though.

Those two guys also caught my eye.

Don't mean to nit pick, but Larentowicz is 32 and will turn 33 in early August. According to the link (iirc) he'll get over $300K. That's sounds a little too steep for me.

I've always liked Kennedy, however after coming off the injured list and taking the starting job, he was replaced buy a rookie and hasn't played since mid-August. In all fairness I have no idea if it was due to injury or lack of form. A GK's age isn't necessarily a cause for concern (he's 2 year younger than Josh), but imho I could live with another years of Saunders at half the salary Kennedy would get. I'd like to see those potential precious FA Garber Bucks go elsewhere.

That's why I think a guy like Horst would be an amazing addition and go a long way in strengthening the D.

I'll comment on Larentowicz too since he's a Chicago guy I watched a lot of. At this point his legs are shot and he's no longer effective as a CDM. I noticed they played him mostly at CB this year. That could be a good fit. He's strong, smart, and very vocal. Could be a nice option to be that defensive general we so badly need. Only question is how fast the athletic abilities are fading. I wouldn't sign him to a very long deal.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert