Q & A With R J Allen - Response

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Just got RJ's response to our Q&A. Again, huge thank you to him for taking our questions and to everyone that submitted one as well. I left a couple out that were similar but other than that I think just about every question was sent and answered.

What was the most interesting cross cultural experience you had playing in Denmark? And did you ever go to the original Lego Land there?
  • Unfortunately I never made it to the original Lego land but I did really enjoy my time in Denmark. Played for a great organization. When I was in Denmark it was the longest and coldest winter they had in 10plus years. There was Still snow on the ground in the end of March.

As a player who has, perhaps unusually, spent several periods of time not registered for a professional club, did you find that these periods gave you a different view or understanding? Has, for example, your time spent coaching kids given you far greater tactical awareness or knowledge of training and fitness techniques, for example?
  • It is nice to see the other side of it and perhaps that is my future but right now I am focused on the playing side of things. I am always learning and I will continue to learn from the people around me.

Who was the first person you broke the news to that you would be playing professional football in NYC?
  • My family. It was a special moment for me being from the New York area to play in this city in front of them. Means so much to me and I will continue to wear my heart on my sleeve for this city.

How was the transition of coming into the team midseason? To add onto that, what was the most challenging part of joining NYCFC?
  • It was definitely a challenge coming in midseason but it's part of the industry. Changes are always happening within a team whenever you aren't getting the results you like. Everyday when I stepped on the pitch I just put my head down and went to work.
What's attractive about playing for NYC FC? Is it just another team, or is there something special about playing for New York City's football team?
  • There are many special reasons. This is a very special organization. One reason is the fans. More importantly Representing the biggest city in the world.

How has it been coming home and playing in the same area where you grew up? Do your friends and family hit you up for tickets all the time?
  • It's been special especially to play in front of my family and friends week in and week out. It's something I don't take for granted. I wake up every morning excited to get to work!

Who will your family be rooting for during the Hudson?
  • I been getting this question a lot. Hopefully our colors because I can promise you this years outcome will be a lot better than last year.

How will the derby against Red Bulls feel this year now that your brother is on the wrong side of the Hudson?
  • It will be a special moment for the two of us. We both worked extremely hard to get to this point in our careers and have a great relationship with each other. With that said though we are both competitors and once the ball is dropped our relationship will be put on the sideline for 90minutes.

What's your favorite part about playing soccer? I remember you saying in an interview that you coached a little league coach before you tried out here. Would you ever consider being a full time coach after your amazing and glorious playing career where you win the MLS Cup with NYCFC?
  • To be able to wake up everyday and call this work is special for me. This is something I love and have a lot of passion for. As far as coaching, it is definitely something I will consider when that time comes but for now I am focused on playing.

Do you see yourself playing any LB this year or just RB?
  • I will play wherever Patrick wants me to play and he sees fit. As long as I am on the pitch I will work hard and give everything I have for this city.

Who's the toughest guy you defended last season?
  • Bradley Wright Phillips and Giovinco.

How did it feel when you kept Giovinco in your back pocket vs Toronto last year? Did he say anything as he was being smothered?
  • It felt good. It's a big challenge every time we play each other. He's a special player and very creative. Hopefully I will have the same success this season against him as I did last year!

You recently returned from some off season training at MCFC. How do you feel about being selected for this and how do you feel it helped you?

• It was an honor to be selected. It's a great thing we have going on with city. The connection between both clubs is beneficial for both parties. It was great for me to get out there and train leading into preseason.

What one word would you use to describe the competition for starting spots on the NYCFC back line this season?
  • Competitive!

It appears we have added at least one additional primary language to our back line. How might that affect unit cohesion and play?
  • I will be taking some Spanish classes during the season. By the end of the season I will attempt an interview in Spanish.

Yo, RJ! What kind(s) of music do you like and who are your favourite artists? Who and what makes the team's changing room playlist?
  • I am into all different types of music. Hope to get to a country concert this year for the first time. My favorite artist though is Eminem.

Can you talk about your timeline during a match day? I'm always intrigued by what players do to prepare themselves including pre-game rituals.
  • Good night sleep. Breakfast. Have a quality pre match meal about 3.5 hours before kick off. A lot of rest and focus on the match. No distractions!

How cool is it playing as yourself in a video game?
  • Not much of a gamer but it is cool to see.

Who's the best FIFA player on the team? I heard Pirlo is obsessed.
  • Not sure. I do hear Andrea is good though but I'm sure I can beat him.

If you had to play Fifa again against Poku and Tony, would you pick tommy Mac again as you teammate or someone else on the team?
  • Absolutely.

Besides playing and training, what do you like to do in and around the city when not on the pitch?
  • Enjoy a good restaurant in New York City time to time. I'll take some recommendations....

Does the team feel that they will perform better than last year? Expectations?
  • We will be better than last year. Our performances will have to be better all across the board. Our expectations are to win silverware this season and must get into the playoffs.

What was your favorite on-field moment with the team last year? Off the field?
  • On field is tough to say because we didn't win any trophies.

You score the winning goal of the Hudson River Derby for NYCFC at Yankee Stadium, what is your celebration?

Thank you for the questions. I appreciate all of you. I am looking forward to seeing you all out at a match during the season.

-RJ Allen

What an awesome, genuine guy. A great player on the field and a great person to have as part of the club.

Reactions: Jock
Awesome answers! My favorite was "Let's just wait and I'll show you on May 21st."
Thanks for setting this up Dan!

I love his confidence when he says he promises things will be different for NYCFC vs Redbulls this year. I do hope so and I think he is right. If you all remember, the second game vs Redbulls in YS, we were dominating them and our favorite crappy soccer player, had a chance to put us up 2-0 with that awful attempt of a back heel, when he probably didn't need to do that. We are up 2-0 and who knows that game turns out differently.