Rumor: CFG to start a Chinese Super League club, probably in Shanghai

BossNYC

Registered
Apr 10, 2014
So this comes as a surprise to no one, especially after that huge Chinese investment. It's being reported everywhere so it's probably pretty much a done deal.

I just wonder how it will go down? Will they buy Shanghai SIPG and rebrand it? Or will they start a whole new club in the 2nd/3rd division or wherever?

At first, I was a little worried about what this means for us but now I'm actually a little happy about this. Hopefully, it convinces MLS to add a 4th DP slot, putting us on par with them.

People that played in both leagues agree MLS is the tougher league so if we get the 4th DP slot, we'll be fine.

Again, I put this here because there could be ramifications to NYC from this new sister club.

Please provide a link.

I hate to be the fist shaking grumpy guy, but for some reason this forum gets a lot of posts that are not cited.

EDIT: To add to the discussion, what are peoples' opinion's of our sister clubs? I know many don't care about Man City, but what about Melbourne, or this new Chinese club? My gut reaction is to say I'd root for the Shanghai team, but my brain says that's no different from rooting for Man City - we have the exact same relationship with the two clubs (on paper).

Last edited:
Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Here's the link: Google.com

It's everywhere. Espnfc, world soccer talk, the sun, tribal football, the independent, chinatopix...

They all just say what I said so it's pretty much a waste of time to read any of them.

But back to the point, the difference between Melbourne,Manchester and Shanghai is that only one of those teams is shopping in the same aisle as we do... That's Shanghai.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
CFG, buying another club in another country just so one of their other clubs can get more roster money. #Syngery #Citynergy

You are assuming all City teams are profitable.

NYCFC and Man City are probably profitable. Not sure how Melbourne is doing.
I think it's extremely unlikely NYCFC is profitable this soon. I believe it will be, but even if you pretend there was no expansion fee paid and just go by operating costs and revenue, I expect they are still in the red so far.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
To add to the discussion, what are peoples' opinion's of our sister clubs? I know many don't care about Man City, but what about Melbourne, or this new Chinese club?

I've visited the MelCity website a few times to see how their setup compares to ours. While there, I tried to read up on their games and seasons and find I just don't care. ManCity is in a league I'm interested in and various events in our short history together made me moderately hostile to them, but I mostly don't care about them either. OTOH I know other NYCFC fans have found themselves picking up an interest in MCFC. But I think getting US fans interested in the Australian league will be a stretch. As for China, maybe if they sign big names, and maybe for the newness and novelty of it, but I would be surprised if there is much cross-rooting interest among NYCFC fans for any sister club except MCFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene
I'd imagine that the Chinese league does not have the same budgetary restrictions as we do here in the MLS, so in a way it doesn't worry me that much. And to add to that, I'd imagine the Chinese investors in CFG are the ones that are going to be shouldering most of the load. So as I said, not really worried.

I couldn't care less about "our sister" clubs. Just don't take any of our resources.

They already have one strike with the Lampard nonsense.

As NYCFC fans, we should hold them accountable for any f*ck up that should arise from these "partenerships" ..

So this comes as a surprise to no one, especially after that huge Chinese investment. It's being reported everywhere so it's probably pretty much a done deal.

I just wonder how it will go down? Will they buy Shanghai SIPG and rebrand it? Or will they start a whole new club in the 2nd/3rd division or wherever?

At first, I was a little worried about what this means for us but now I'm actually a little happy about this. Hopefully, it convinces MLS to add a 4th DP slot, putting us on par with them.

People that played in both leagues agree MLS is the tougher league so if we get the 4th DP slot, we'll be fine.

Again, I put this here because there could be ramifications to NYC from this new sister club.
China doesn't have DPs. They have 4 international slots meaning an overwhelming percentage of the club has to be made of Chinese players.

I think it's extremely unlikely NYCFC is profitable this soon. I believe it will be, but even if you pretend there was no expansion fee paid and just go by operating costs and revenue, I expect they are still in the red so far.
Got to factor in the stadium as well. The next couple of TV contracts will be big factors as well.

Here's the link: Google.com

It's everywhere. Espnfc, world soccer talk, the sun, tribal football, the independent, chinatopix...

They all just say what I said so it's pretty much a waste of time to read any of them.

But back to the point, the difference between Melbourne,Manchester and Shanghai is that only one of those teams is shopping in the same aisle as we do... That's Shanghai.
The only aisle they are shopping the same as will be for DP calibur players. Chinese Super League only allows 4 international on roster. I would also imagine that NYC to be a much much desirable location for Europeans.

You are assuming all City teams are profitable.

NYCFC and Man City are probably profitable. Not sure how Melbourne is doing.

I think CFG is trying to make NYCFC in the red so they pay less taxes or something UEFA or FIFA related to benefit them. Something accounting related.

I've visited the MelCity website a few times to see how their setup compares to ours. While there, I tried to read up on their games and seasons and find I just don't care. ManCity is in a league I'm interested in and various events in our short history together made me moderately hostile to them, but I mostly don't care about them either. OTOH I know other NYCFC fans have found themselves picking up an interest in MCFC. But I think getting US fans interested in the Australian league will be a stretch. As for China, maybe if they sign big names, and maybe for the newness and novelty of it, but I would be surprised if there is much cross-rooting interest among NYCFC fans for any sister club except MCFC.

Don't care about Melbourne, don't care about any other teams CFG buys, and I thought I started to care for man city but after losing to man united today and realizing it really didn't bother me whatsoever, I can say I don't care for man city much either. If they win, ok whatever, if they lose, ok whatever.

To me the only reason I root for NYCFC is because they play in the top division in this country and are the only team that reps NYC. Simple as that.

Reactions: BossNYC and Gene
To add to the discussion, what are peoples' opinion's of our sister clubs?

meh,

as for China its interesting, i dont think they buy SIPG since i think they just got bought out themselves, and their rival Greenland shenhua also got bought recently....so perhaps lower level Shenxin will be bought out?

Is there a way to watch the Chinese league from the states? I'm interested to see the caliber of local players there as it compares to the MLS. Would a star player only go there for only the money or are there football related reasons to go there as well?

Is there a way to watch the Chinese league from the states? I'm interested to see the caliber of local players there as it compares to the MLS. Would a star player only go there for only the money or are there football related reasons to go there as well?
The star players only go there for money. Nothing else. They are getting offers that are above and beyond anything that a true market would pay, its hard to refuse. Only money.