Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
shannon_gomez.png

Name: Shannon Gomez
Joined Club: 03/03/2016
Position: Defender

Signed on a one-year loan with an option to buy from W Connection (Trinidad and Tobago)

No, he doesn't use an international spot.

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/shannongomez02
MLSSoccer:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/shannon-gomez

He was one of the trialists, right? Do we know if he's CB/LB/RB?

(EDIT): Ah, rightback / right wing! Smart move for versatile depth.

HOW ACQUIRED: Acquired on a one-year loan from W Connection on March 3, 2016.

A quick youngster capable of playing as a right back or on the wing, Gomez joined NYCFC for their final preseason camp of 2016 and impressed enough to earn a contract. It's unlikely he'll make too much of an impact in the early going, but the Trinidad and Tobago international is an intriguing prospect for the future.

INTERNATIONAL: Has two career caps with the Trinidad and Tobago national team, both coming in 2015. An experienced T&T youth international, Gomez played all five games for the country at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 championships.

OUTSIDE MLS: Played every minute of W Connection’s four-game run in the 2015-16 CONCACAF Champions League, which included a 2-1 win over Costa Rican giants Saprissa.

I thought Shannon was actually one of our better players in the Cosmos game. He looked very comfortable, and had good control and movement. You can tell he'd fit right in as a winger on that side, too. He gets forward a lot and tracks back pretty quick as well. I'd be down to try him at right wing one day. I bet he doesn't shit himself like Shelton once he runs into an end-line.

I thought Shannon was actually one of our better players in the Cosmos game. He looked very comfortable, and had good control and movement. You can tell he'd fit right in as a winger on that side, too. He gets forward a lot and tracks back pretty quick as well. I'd be down to try him at right wing one day. I bet he doesn't shit himself like Shelton once he runs into an end-line.
I agree. He had a great touch on the ball and is speedy. He actually kept control when dribbling. Send all our guys to wherever he trained to get similar training please.

I agree. He had a great touch on the ball and is speedy. He actually kept control when dribbling. Send all our guys to wherever he trained to get similar training please.
I wonder why he doesn't crack the 18 at all? He played very well. But even Martinez is above him on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Well they are certainly grooming him well. I hate to overblow things, but his style almost reminds me of Sterling without the flamboyant arm-flailing dance moves. Not only does he have good ball control, but he keeps his head up. I noticed a few times when he got the ball, and instead of just barreling down the side and trying to plow people, he'd stop for a sec, look up field, and wait for space to open up. Like Mata, only he took more notes in Pirlo 101.

It might actually be a smart strategy if he barely plays so they can sign him on the cheap.

Very unfortunate news for Gomez. I wonder how this will impact the Club's decision to sign him or let him leave after his loan expires. Vieira's quote makes it seem like he'll be back with us next season: “We’re disappointed to be losing Shannon for the rest of the season. He’s a player that gives his all on the training pitch and we’ll miss him until he returns."

Also, if Gomez is placed on a season-ending injury list does this free up an international slot for Maxime Chanot?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Very unfortunate news for Gomez. I wonder how this will impact the Club's decision to sign him or let him leave after his loan expires. Vieira's quote makes it seem like he'll be back with us next season: “We’re disappointed to be losing Shannon for the rest of the season. He’s a player that gives his all on the training pitch and we’ll miss him until he returns."

Also, if Gomez is placed on a season-ending injury list does this free up an international slot for Maxime Chanot?
He's not listed as an international player.

Hmm, ok. 19 yrs old; born in Trinidad & Tobago; was loaned from W Connection FC of Trinidad & Tobago. I'm obviously missing something. Any way, I hope he stays with us next season.
Green card