Should I Pull the Trigger on Season Tickets?... Your Thoughts, Please **Trigger Pulled***

Jon

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Oct 21, 2016
Rockland County
Hopefully someone can give me advice...

I'm new to MLS in the sense that I've never really followed to too seriously. My daughter is playing travel soccer and is really into the sport and I've found myself watching on TV more and more. We're going to our first NYCFC game on Sunday.

I've been thinking about purchasing a pair of season tickets for next season but had a few questions.

• - Do most people attend all the home games? If not, is it easy to resell them? (not looking to get more than face value)
  • Do people think it's just easier to buy on resale or from NYCFC directly and just go to the games they want?
  • I live up in Rockland so going to the Bronx is not difficult, but I'm worried that I'll get into the team and then they'll end up moving to Queens or Brooklyn where the travel will be inconvenient. Do you think this is a legitimate concern?
I spoke to a ticket rep who told me they had tickets available in sections 229 and 211. Thoughts on either of those sections? The difference is about $170 per ticket for the season. Does the location make up for the cost difference?

Reactions: LostAnvil

I'm new to MLS in the sense that I've never really followed to too seriously. My daughter is playing travel soccer and is really into the sport and I've found myself watching on TV more and more. We're going to our first NYCFC game on Sunday.

I've been thinking about purchasing a pair of season tickets for next season but had a few questions.

• - Do most people attend all the home games? If not, is it easy to resell them? (not looking to get more than face value)
  • Do people think it's just easier to buy on resale or from NYCFC directly and just go to the games they want?
  • I live up in Rockland so going to the Bronx is not difficult, but I'm worried that I'll get into the team and then they'll end up moving to Queens or Brooklyn where the travel will be inconvenient. Do you think this is a legitimate concern?
I spoke to a ticket rep who told me they had tickets available in sections 229 and 211. Thoughts on either of those sections? The difference is about $170 per ticket for the season. Does the location make up for the cost difference?
I can't obviously speak for everyone, but I've gone to every game and I'd be willing to bet at least 75% of fans went to at least 12 out of the 17 games. It's VERY easy to resell the tickets, the team provides an online place where you just list your tickets and price.

Depending on how many games you plan to go to, I'd say sign up for a package either way because it'll be cheaper. I believe this next year they're introducing a program where if you can't attend a game they'll exchange your ticket for a game later on in the year.

I don't believe a stadium location is a legitimate concern, especially not in the short term. The team isn't just going to say "ok we're playing in Brooklyn next year" today. A stadium is a ways away and everything seems to be pointing to them staying in the Bronx.

As for the sections, I'd recommend their virtual venue to see the seats for yourself. But honestly, nothing beats going on game day to check it out for yourself. Stop in those sections (or buy playoff seats in those sections) and see how you like it.

I have 3 tickets (me, wife, & toddler's) and I attended every game this season (not all 3 were used each time). When I can't use one I put it up for sale - sometimes it sells, and sometimes it doesn't, but that depends on the opponent/day/time. I probably ate 1-2 games this year on the 3rd ticket, and to me that's not a game breaker. If a friend comes along rather than family, typically food is offered to be paid by them as a thank you for the tix, so that to me is a better alternative than selling it since it's catching up with a friend (while saving on food).

Anyway, don't worry about where the new stadium is located. If it's inconvenient, you simply cancel your season tickets and you're no worse for wear - what's the difference in canceling vs never having them? But while they're convenient at YS, you and your daughter will have a lot of fun afternoons/evening to bond together over a great sport.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I think season tickets are a great way to go. I have had little problem reselling. I go to about half the games and generally break even on resales over the course of a year.

One big advantage to our family have been the Cityzens rewards. As a season ticket holder you get points for various things and can spend them on stuff like meet and greets with the players, seat upgrades, signed photos and merchandise, even letting your kid walk out with the players before the game. It provides a lot of things that your kid will probably really like.

As for seat location, given that we are in a baseball stadium, it's not 100% clear which seats are best. Preferences are often very personal, and you may find a section you really like that's more affordable than others. You should check out the "View From Your Seat" feature on this site. Also try out some different spots in this game and in the playoff game coming up to see what works for you. A couple things to consider. The Supporters Section provides a lot of energy, and I like seats closer to where they are located so I can hear them easily. Also, over in Sections 206-207, there is the "Coop" - which is a loud and fun group of fans whose favorite chant honors the Chicken Bucket offered at the nearby concession stand. The atmosphere is great in that corner, and I like the views too.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I've been thinking about purchasing a pair of season tickets for next season
You realize this is the NYCFC forum?

Asking us whether or not you should get season tickets is a little like going to a presidential campaign rally this week and shouting out, "Anyone have a suggestion for who I should vote for?"

That said, welcome to the forum. Enjoy the obsession.

I
You realize this is the NYCFC forum?

Asking us whether or not you should get season tickets is a little like going to a presidential campaign rally this week and shouting out, "Anyone have a suggestion for who I should vote for?"

That said, welcome to the forum. Enjoy the obsession.

No I get that everyone who is on here is passionate. My concern is purchasing a plan and then being saddled with tickets I can't get rid of. I had a partial plan for the Yankees for about 5 or 6 years. By the second or third year in the new stadium I couldn't give tickets away for free. I don't want to be stuck in a similar situation.

I'd probably be looking to attend 8-10 of the games and then sell the rest. If you think it's easier to just purchase those 8-10 games individually I'd love to know.

I

No I get that everyone who is on here is passionate. My concern is purchasing a plan and then being saddled with tickets I can't get rid of. I had a partial plan for the Yankees for about 5 or 6 years. By the second or third year in the new stadium I couldn't give tickets away for free. I don't want to be stuck in a similar situation.

I'd probably be looking to attend 8-10 of the games and then sell the rest. If you think it's easier to just purchase those 8-10 games individually I'd love to know.
Purchasing 8-10 regular price is probably equivalent to a few more with ST prices. At that point, you might as well get the rest and if even only half are sold, you're not looking at a big loss (unless you're Pitchside like LionNYC ). I'd pull the trigger on it, there's a good following of the club and with only 17 games fans are not lazy about attending like with the Yankees with their 365 game season that becomes work to go to.

I

I have 2 tix in sec 127b, i've sold 13 of 16 games, looking to make it 14 of 17. I essentially made the season ticket package money back on 13 games and went to 3 games for free (+1 guest) and I'm getting all the goodies like citizen points, scarves and stickers that come in the the season ticket package. I probably could have sold all my tickets and walked away making money but I was greedy and didn't lower my price a few times. These numbers include my 10% discount for being a season one ticket holder so you'll likely find it hard to get free games like I did. But the tickets do sell when you can't go.

Obviously the redbulls games sell well. Big clubs games like LA sell well. And weekend games sell easier then weekday games. and when we are doing well tickets sell better then when we stink (i.e. last year). You are going to have a hard time getting rid of RSL on a thursday when either of both teams stink. The price floor makes it hard to sell on TM, but then you can go to stub hub and list them there for whatever price you want, and if you go really low you can recoup some cost (I assume). I usually go to games rather then sell them dirt cheap.

I know its not a popular stance but I am still pissed at the team for lampardgate. When the news hit i immediately called to cancel my tickets and the asshat on the phone wasted an hour of my time trying to talk me off a ledge before saying all sales are finally. Well I was effin livid after that and I can hold a grudge. And now I just sell my tickets. Still a fan of the club from my couch, and I am still buying discounted tickets, but now I am making a buck off the club like they want to make off me. But ignoring my motives, hopefully this gives you some color on your decision.

Reactions: adam and ktdNYCFC
I

they sometimes have those 4/5 game packages ( where 1 or 2 are "big" games) but those deals tend to come in when the season has started.

you can try reselling in the online site mentioned already its ticketmaster based. You can also donate them i think on that site.

I

I'd say to get the season tickets mainly for the benefits that are included with them. As Gotham Gator Gotham Gator mentioned, there is a points system based off of attending games, if you get there early, as well as using social media. With the Cityzens points you can also get a ton of things through bidding or using points (I won't go into detail as Gator told you). You also get a 10% discount on non alcoholic beverages, food, and merchandise inside of Yankee Stadium and in the online shop as well, which is helpful in lowering the inflated prices slightly.

When the news hit i immediately called to cancel my tickets and the asshat on the phone wasted an hour of my time trying to talk me off a ledge before saying all sales are finally. Well I was effin livid after that and I can hold a grudge. And now I just sell my tickets.

so you renewed for 2016 despite all of that?

I have 2 tix in sec 127b, i've sold 13 of 16 games, looking to make it 14 of 17. I essentially made the season ticket package money back on 13 games and went to 3 games for free (+1 guest) and I'm getting all the goodies like citizen points, scarves and stickers that come in the the season ticket package. I probably could have sold all my tickets and walked away making money but I was greedy and didn't lower my price a few times. These numbers include my 10% discount for being a season one ticket holder so you'll likely find it hard to get free games like I did. But the tickets do sell when you can't go.

Obviously the redbulls games sell well. Big clubs games like LA sell well. And weekend games sell easier then weekday games. and when we are doing well tickets sell better then when we stink (i.e. last year). You are going to have a hard time getting rid of RSL on a thursday when either of both teams stink. The price floor makes it hard to sell on TM, but then you can go to stub hub and list them there for whatever price you want, and if you go really low you can recoup some cost (I assume). I usually go to games rather then sell them dirt cheap.

I know its not a popular stance but I am still pissed at the team for lampardgate. When the news hit i immediately called to cancel my tickets and the asshat on the phone wasted an hour of my time trying to talk me off a ledge before saying all sales are finally. Well I was effin livid after that and I can hold a grudge. And now I just sell my tickets. Still a fan of the club from my couch, and I am still buying discounted tickets, but now I am making a buck off the club like they want to make off me. But ignoring my motives, hopefully this gives you some color on your decision.

Sounds like you're not very happy with the club. Do others feel like the experience doesn't warrant the price or time?

Sounds like you're not very happy with the club. Do others feel like the experience doesn't warrant the price or time?
I'm very pleased with being a season ticket holder. Thoroughly enjoy the games, the camaraderie and the club. From a price perspective, you can't beat it for value. And as your daughter plays and is into soccer, you'll be shining even brighter in her eyes. Also worth noting that NYCFC will be building their training facility in Orangeburg up in your neck of the woods.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...raining-facility-orangeburg-article-1.2818376

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with being a season ticket holders. Thoroughly enjoy the games, the camaraderie and the club. From a price perspective, you can't beat it for value. And as your daughter plays and is into soccer, you'll be shining even brighter in her eyes. Also worth noting that NYCFC will be building their training facility in Orangeburg up in your neck of the woods.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...raining-facility-orangeburg-article-1.2818376

I saw that in the local paper. Do you think that's an indication that they'll look to stay in the Bronx or Inwood? I heard they might share a stadium with Columbia.

Can anyone offer some game day advice as well for this Sunday? What time should we get into the stadium?

I'm very pleased with being a season ticket holders. Thoroughly enjoy the games, the camaraderie and the club. From a price perspective, you can't beat it for value. And as your daughter plays and is into soccer, you'll be shining even brighter in her eyes. Also worth noting that NYCFC will be building their training facility in Orangeburg up in your neck of the woods.

Seriously, think of it totally as bonding time with your daughter and one of her passions. That alone green lights the purchase.

I saw that in the local paper. Do you think that's an indication that they'll look to stay in the Bronx or Inwood? I heard they might share a stadium with Columbia.

Can anyone offer some game day advice as well for this Sunday? What time should we get into the stadium?
Lines could be long for the final match. I'd rec at least arriving by 3:15.

We have a thread longer than the Bible debating where the stadium will be, anyone's guess at this point, though I find Columbia highly unlikely. I wouldn't mind as I live across the street. But a new stadium is 3-5 years away minimum. Enjoy them at Yankee Stadium for the time being.

There's a Fan Fest in fron t of the stadium before the game that the kids will probably enjoy. I'll be enjoying a Beer Fest at the Yankee Tavern myself.

so you renewed for 2016 despite all of that?
"And now I just sell my tickets. Still a fan of the club from my couch, and I am still buying discounted tickets, but now I am making a buck off the club like they want to make off me."

I am perturbed by the clubs actions before we even started. My motives are my own. Like I said I know its not a popular stance, but I am giving you some color to help you make your decision. The tickets sell.

Reactions: Goodfella
"And now I just sell my tickets. Still a fan of the club from my couch, and I am still buying discounted tickets, but now I am making a buck off the club like they want to make off me."

Gotcha. Though you're not really making a buck off the club. But if it makes you feel good then go on!

Reactions: FootyLovin