Sports Illustrated

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
I couldn’t see where we had discussed all the issues sadly affecting Sports Illustrated.

• The long decline.
  • The takeover my Maven in October.
  • Maven the laying off about 1/3 of existing staff in favor of hyperlocal bloggers.
  • More recent layoffs in the wake of the Covid pandemic.
  • And now, the firing of Grant Wahl.

Last edited:
Didn’t Wahl badmouth his bosses on TV last week?

I have no horse in this, as I don’t read SI and don’t gravitate to Wahl’s writing, but going public to take swipes at your boss does seem like grounds for termination.

As a side note, $350k/yr for a writing seems extremely high in the sports realm, and good for him for negotiating that, but in an age of uncertainty with no sports taking place and marketing dollars slashed to nothing, kinda seems shortsighted to dig heels in when the media landscape is in a fiery tailspin, especially when coworkers have already been laid off.

That said, if the execs didn’t forfeit all or a considerable amount of their compensation, then they’re hypocrites.

They have destroyed that magazine. A proud American sports institution. Terrible.

And Wahl claims they wanted to cut his salary by 30% after the pandemic is over. I don't know many people that would be willing to take a 30% pay cut permanently. That's ridiculous. You want to cut pay during the pandemic? I can understand it even if I don't like it. But if your bosses wanted to make the cut permanent, you'd be outraged.

They have destroyed that magazine. A proud American sports institution. Terrible.

And Wahl claims they wanted to cut his salary by 30% after the pandemic is over. I don't know many people that would be willing to take a 30% pay cut permanently. That's ridiculous. You want to cut pay during the pandemic? I can understand it even if I don't like it. But if your bosses wanted to make the cut permanent, you'd be outraged.
Help me with the math..... is a 30% pay cut on $350k more than $0 when out of a job? How many $350k sports writing jobs are there out there? I’d venture there are few to none, and that’s before marketing/advertising dollars dried up.

Help me with the math..... is a 30% pay cut on $350k more than $0 when out of a job? How many $350k sports writing jobs are there out there? I’d venture there are few to none, and that’s before marketing/advertising dollars dried up.
Read through the tweets above. His salary wasn’t $350K. Plus, there comes a time when $0 is better than >$0 if you have to keep working for the same assholes. Grant had obviously reached that point.

Reactions: ZYanksRule

His actual salary wasn't that high, he says he got bonuses because his work was good. And frankly, I trust Wahl's version of this a lot more than Maven's, which is a terrible company actively destroying Sports Illustrated.

Would I, personally, have gone public if I was told to take a 30% pay cut? No because it's not my style and I'm not a public person. But I absolutely would have started looking for a new place to work, even though I love where I am and love everything about my job. It is a completely unreasonable request to make of employees.

His actual salary wasn't that high, he says he got bonuses because his work was good. And frankly, I trust Wahl's version of this a lot more than Maven's, which is a terrible company actively destroying Sports Illustrated.

Would I, personally, have gone public if I was told to take a 30% pay cut? No because it's not my style and I'm not a public person. But I absolutely would have started looking for a new place to work, even though I love where I am and love everything about my job. It is a completely unreasonable request to make of employees.
His base salary being lower means he’s taking a smaller relative cut. He’d then be able to still achieve the bonuses in his contract. And whatever he’s earning is more than $0, and that number will most assuredly be in the six figures, which in these times is a huge win - the alternative is looking for another job when his industry is in a tailspin.

It’s pretty shitty for anybody to lose a job, but what exactly is a company supposed to do if advertising money has dried up? And I reiterate, Wahl went public criticizing his employer last week - if I did that to my company they’d fire me in a heartbeat.

Maven appears to be a ruthless asshole, but Wahl overplayed his hand by going public. Never, ever criticize your company in public.

Read through the tweets above. His salary wasn’t $350K. Plus, there comes a time when $0 is better than >$0 if you have to keep working for the same assholes. Grant had obviously reached that point.

If $0 > $x working for an asshole, when the economy is in a depression, then that’s his choice. I have no idea what his family situation is and his savings, but me, I’d suck it up and continue to draw a salary well over the median income.

He went public with his problems so he’s also an asshole. Especially when there were other SI employees getting laid off who were making less.

I cannot have an opinion until I know the following, much of which might not be available.
How well has SI managed the transition to digital? That has killed numerous other publications.
Pre-virus how much was their operating income and how much was their operating expenses excluding debt. Who much with debt?
As far as I know, SI has not begun charging for online content, and is down to 16 paper issues for $20. How much subscriber revenue do they have? The Athletic charges $60 for online only (sometimes discounts are available). That seems more sustainable. SI has presumably much greater reach and advertising revenue, but that is much less reliable. There are almost no online publications that are profitable without online subscriber fees, and those that survive are often political ones like the Nation or National Review that solicit and receive voluntary contributions from like minded readers, while selling cruise experiences as their primary cash cow. There are also a few that rely solely on voluntary Patreon subscriptions, but none of those, I'm certain, pay writers $350k whether salary, bonus, or whatever combination.

My point is, it is likely ownership planned these cuts regardless of the virus. It might also be they needed to make these cuts (or at least some level of cuts) to be sustainable. Or not. Maybe SI was wildly profitable and this is all just greedy profit feasting. I don't know but passing judgment without knowing is not meaningful. There just aren't many publications left that have not had to cut staff and payroll substantially.

Finally, whether base salary or salary plus bonus, I'm shocked anyone could earn $350k from a single gig writing about soccer for a US audience. There is a dispute about whether that was Wahl's salary or salary plus bonus, but nobody seems to claim that includes other income Wahl earned. So I presume that figure does not include Wahl's TV appearances, which were not on shows produced by SI and that income is not part of the $350k. Same for any book advances or royalties. I would not be surprised to learn Wahl made $350k from all that combined, but I would not have expected any soccer analyst in the US could make that much from a single gig whether written or TV or whatever. This has nothing to do with whether he deserved it or earned it. I presume he did but that's not the point. I just did not think there was nearly enough demand for written soccer content in the US to pay anybody that much to generate it. That's an eye opener to me regardless of who's to blame here. Even if in the long run that was not sustainable, that it ever was is a surprise to me.

i just realized, at 350K the dude is making much more than a good chunk of MLS players....lol damn

EDIT: i saw this news pop up in my "suggested for you" facebook feed from the ny post and man.....everyone in comments is against him. some are shocked a soccer writer makes this much ( even though bonuses are part of it)

I cannot have an opinion until I know the following, much of which might not be available.
How well has SI managed the transition to digital? That has killed numerous other publications.
Pre-virus how much was their operating income and how much was their operating expenses excluding debt. Who much with debt?
As far as I know, SI has not begun charging for online content, and is down to 16 paper issues for $20. How much subscriber revenue do they have? The Athletic charges $60 for online only (sometimes discounts are available). That seems more sustainable. SI has presumably much greater reach and advertising revenue, but that is much less reliable. There are almost no online publications that are profitable without online subscriber fees, and those that survive are often political ones like the Nation or National Review that solicit and receive voluntary contributions from like minded readers, while selling cruise experiences as their primary cash cow. There are also a few that rely solely on voluntary Patreon subscriptions, but none of those, I'm certain, pay writers $350k whether salary, bonus, or whatever combination.

My point is, it is likely ownership planned these cuts regardless of the virus. It might also be they needed to make these cuts (or at least some level of cuts) to be sustainable. Or not. Maybe SI was wildly profitable and this is all just greedy profit feasting. I don't know but passing judgment without knowing is not meaningful. There just aren't many publications left that have not had to cut staff and payroll substantially.

Finally, whether base salary or salary plus bonus, I'm shocked anyone could earn $350k from a single gig writing about soccer for a US audience. There is a dispute about whether that was Wahl's salary or salary plus bonus, but nobody seems to claim that includes other income Wahl earned. So I presume that figure does not include Wahl's TV appearances, which were not on shows produced by SI and that income is not part of the $350k. Same for any book advances or royalties. I would not be surprised to learn Wahl made $350k from all that combined, but I would not have expected any soccer analyst in the US could make that much from a single gig whether written or TV or whatever. This has nothing to do with whether he deserved it or earned it. I presume he did but that's not the point. I just did not think there was nearly enough demand for written soccer content in the US to pay anybody that much to generate it. That's an eye opener to me regardless of who's to blame here. Even if in the long run that was not sustainable, that it ever was is a surprise to me.
SI was clearly in really bad shape before Maven stepped in. They had very high quality content - probably from an expensive staff. But they were trying to monetize that through two things: (1) subscriptions and advertising on their magazine and (2) page views on their website, and that website was terrible. Notably, many of the best long-form articles in the SI magazine were not made available on the website.

Ownership changed hands a bit as nobody could quite figure out how to monetize a high-quality, treasured brand like Sports Illustrated in the modern media environment. First, Time-Warner spun off Time, Inc. into a separate, publicly-traded company. Then, Meredith purchased Time, Inc. to add to its staple of lifestyle magazines. It was mostly interested in titles like People and planned to sell titles like Time and SI. Meredith didn't end up selling SI, but licensed the SI brand to Maven. Maven now runs it, but it's still technically owned by Meredith.

The right approach for SI was to do something like what is happening at the Athletic, but with a print operation on the side. Sell a subscription that gives you the magazine and access to the site. Offer the highest quality national writers, which they already had, and add high-quality local coverage of different teams. Provide this through a website that offers a pleasant browsing experience, with no or minimal ads. As Mark pointed out, people are paying 3x more for this at the Athletic, which is profitable, that for SI, which is not.

Ultimately, what upsets people about Maven is that they are taking the opposite approach to what SI has been and could be. They are eliminating the quality writing and turning it into a hyper-local blogging site. They are cutting back on the print. The only upgrade is that the website itself is better, but it's still nothing like what the Athletic offers. What they are doing may ultimately result in a profitable business, but it won't in any way resemble what SI has been for the last 75 years. Either way, SI is dead.