The Pizza Thread

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Pictures, videos, hymns, poems and anything else devoted to PIZZA.
We don’t have good pizza in Florida unfortunately. The 5 times I’ve visited NYC I’ve had some of the best pizza, period.
My go to is thin and crispy.

First pic from last night is a Piperonni, hot honey drizzle with basil and pep and ricotta balls (opted out due to others in group).

Second is todays game day pie. Kids at the house so they’re all cheese :(
‘NY Style’ as every pizza place down here claims to be but definitely thin and crispy.
9F9500EA-533B-42A7-988F-31D933702C95.jpeg

3782DF4B-07FD-44F8-B020-3EDCF0811E3E.jpeg

Good thread idea.

I recently used this list of world's 100 best pizzas to choose a place while in Milan (#48 - Denis). Credit due. It was hella good. These lists can always be debated, but my guess is that any of the places on this list serve up great za. And there are a few in FL. So have at it NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan .

From Denis: a bacon / mountain potato and a wild mushroom. All ingredients were delicious but the crust was the star. All the exact right combinations of light and crispy and chewy. And a spice mix sprinkled on that was mostly salt/pepper with tiny hints that something else was going on. Damn this pizza was good.
IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

Starting during the pandemic my kids and I started on the never ending quest of compiling our best of Westchester pizzas and ice creams. Our records aren’t very good, there has been the challenge of recency bias, and our grading system left something to be desired. But for those in Westchester, we definitely came up with some consistent favorites (we have dozens, but will sample just a few highlights). As for pizza, not controversially given the prestige, but we still rate Johnny’s (Mt. Vernon) at or near the top. My kids also consistently rate both Villagio’s and Venetian Delight in Hartsdale also as near the top of the traditional pizza place. Some other random spots that routinely rate high are Amore’s nonna’s pie in Armonk, and both Stone Fire and Wood & Fire around Mt. Kisco and Pleasantville. We also still like a square at Sal’s (Mamaroneck) just for old times sake (often deciding between that and a Walter’s Dog). Another new interesting spot is Utica Pie Co (White Plains) because of their unique pie from upstate as well as some amazing tomato pies and upside down pies. There are so many other good options to choose from around here (it’s not Brooklyn or New Haven, or Italy).

Last edited:
Best slice of Pizza I’ve ever had came from “Bar” in New Haven Conn. New Haven style pizza is the superior slice. I am always down for Frank Pepe’s as a closer option. That tangy sauce and burnt crust are so good. Personally I put cheese on it but I could totally understand why people would eat the tomato pie

Pizza Suprema over by the Garden is up there.

Starting during the pandemic my kids and I started on the never ending quest of compiling our best of Westchester pizzas and ice creams. Our records aren’t very good, there has been the challenge of recency bias, and our grading system left something to be desired. But for those in Westchester, we definitely came up with some consistent favorites (we have dozens, but will sample just a few highlights). As for pizza, not controversially given the prestige, but we still rate Johnny’s (Mt. Vernon) at or near the top. My kids also consistently rate both Villagio’s and Venetian Delight in Hartsdale also as near the top of the traditional pizza place. Some other random spots that routinely rate high are Amore’s nonna’s pie in Armonk, and both Stone Fire and Wood & Fire around Mt. Kisco. We also still like a square at Sal’s (Mamaroneck) just for old times sake (often deciding between that and a Walter’s Dog). Another new interesting spot is Utica Pie Co (White Plains) because of their unique pie from upstate as well as some amazing tomato pies and upside down pies. There are so many other good options to choose from around here (it’s not Brooklyn or New Haven, or Italy).
Great stuff. I am on the lookout for good pizza up here. We routinely get pies from Polpettina in Eastchester, which my wife and I really like, but the kids are not fans.

Reactions: JayH
Best slice of Pizza I’ve ever had came from “Bar” in New Haven Conn. New Haven style pizza is the superior slice. I am always down for Frank Pepe’s as a closer option. That tangy sauce and burnt crust are so good. Personally I put cheese on it but I could totally understand why people would eat the tomato pie

As someone who's lived pretty much their entire life in a suburb of New Haven I appreciate Apizza or New Haven style getting some love on a thread that I'm assuming is primarily New Yorkers.

As someone who's lived pretty much their entire life in a suburb of New Haven I appreciate Apizza or New Haven style getting some love on a thread that I'm assuming is primarily New Yorkers.
Based on barstool reviews (the only thing I watch from them don’t judge me) New Haven is right up my alley. That’s my preferred pizza style. Haven’t had a chance to eat an OG one tho.

Rosa’s Pizza, 21st Street and 31st Avenue in Astoria. They cut the pie in six pieces instead of eight.
View attachment 12316
They're owned by the same people, but I've gone to the Rosa's in Maspeth a few times. There Sicilian slice is one if the best slices of pizza I've ever had and what they are known for. Strongly recommend.

Reactions: Seth