Timbers Trade for Discovery Rights to Gbenga Arokoyo

My guess is that teams put players on their discovery list if the player himself shows an interest in playing in the MLS. For instance, NYC had a need at CB and probably put Chanot and Arokyo on their list as both players have expressed an interest either to the league or team that they're interested in crossing the Atlantic. NYC captured the signature from Chanot and the need for Arokyo was no more. However, Portland needs a CB due to injuries and were probably notified by the league that Arokyo is available and interested in joining the league. Portland pays NYC to acquire the rights, and if the player agrees to the destination, then done deal.

All hypothetical..at least it sounds smarter to me than putting random stars on the discovery list and hoping they'll come to the league one day.

Either way, glad to see we got some flexible spending from the deal. Not really sure why we asked for 3rd round pick though. Probably should've just asked for a open tab at a bar next time we visit Portland or something.

My guess is that teams put players on their discovery list if the player himself shows an interest in playing in the MLS. For instance, NYC had a need at CB and probably put Chanot and Arokyo on their list as both players have expressed an interest either to the league or team that they're interested in crossing the Atlantic. NYC captured the signature from Chanot and the need for Arokyo was no more. However, Portland needs a CB due to injuries and were probably notified by the league that Arokyo is available and interested in joining the league. Portland pays NYC to acquire the rights, and if the player agrees to the destination, then done deal.

All hypothetical..at least it sounds smarter to me than putting random stars on the discovery list and hoping they'll come to the league one day.

Either way, glad to see we got some flexible spending from the deal. Not really sure why we asked for 3rd round pick though. Probably should've just asked for a open tab at a bar next time we visit Portland or something.
Chanot was actually on Orlando's Discovery List. So somehow we came out ahead with a 3rd round pick as the TAM that has changed hands should cancel out.

Reactions: Kjbert
Or maybe we knew that Portland needed help at CB and Claudio called Merritt Paulson to fill him in

at least we get TAM out of "nothing" i guess

EDIT: by that i mean just a name off a list. it could be worse

Before the CBA was agreed to last season, players actually had to sign contracts with MLS before they knew what team they were going to.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Before the CBA was agreed to last season, players actually had to sign contracts with MLS before they knew what team they were going to.

I bet Don Garber had a wheel in his office whenever a top player was coming into the league...

But that wheel isn't equally distributed, LA Galaxy is like 30% of the board and RSL is like a very small sliver.

The really interesting thing for me is why we agreed to a third round pick in the draft. All evidence so far has been that we aren't really interested in the draft as an efficient way of picking up players but suddenly now we agree to take a third round pick. I wonder why we felt like one was needed.

It's only complete speculation, and unless we acquire a number of other extra picks it's probably nonsense, but i do recall that in the past other teams have piled in on the extra 3rd/4th round draft picks when they intended to form a second (USL) team...

The really interesting thing for me is why we agreed to a third round pick in the draft. All evidence so far has been that we aren't really interested in the draft as an efficient way of picking up players but suddenly now we agree to take a third round pick. I wonder why we felt like one was needed.

It's only complete speculation, and unless we acquire a number of other extra picks it's probably nonsense, but i do recall that in the past other teams have piled in on the extra 3rd/4th round draft picks when they intended to form a second (USL) team...

Although we don't care. Maybe another team might want it in a trade. Gather all the assets you can

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Although we don't care. Maybe another team might want it in a trade. Gather all the assets you can

True enough,but why not just make the trade for GAM instead? That's a far more universal trade commodity.