LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
giphy.gif

It turns out that the pick we sent to Orlando for Rocha is the same one they traded to us for Josh Saunders, which is I guess is mildly amusing. It's like Rocha is the player to be named much, much later.
https://www.themaneland.com/2018/12/13/18138614/lion-links-12-13-18

Also, Rocha was selected -- by SKC -- in the 4th round in the 2015 Super Draft. So he maintained his value, sort of. When you look a that draft, which is the one where we got Khiry, there aren't many guys left playing at MLS level or better. Maybe half the first round and then hardly anyone below that. I guess Rocha is willing to work hard for low pay, but it's mildly impressive he's still around.

I'm still bored.

I like Tony Rocha. He's good on his day, and off the bench he really boosts the last 10-15 or so minutes whenever he's on. And that's been pretty consistent, except for his first few CB appearances.

Kid has more shots per minute than anybody on the team. TBF he's only played 37 minutes so it's a little skewed, but his rate is 7.30 shots per 90, which is twice the rate of everyone but Taty, who's at 4.76 (but with meaningful playing time).
He's only played 90 minutes including MLSisBack but he actually has the team high in Goals Added Above Average per minute. Also completes more passes above expected (adjusted per pass) than any other NYCFC player.

when in the midfield, rocha serves his role well. just don't put him on defense and he'll be a solid player. nothing stand out but sometimes all you need is a solid player who fills the role.

Reactions: Shwafta
I am a little surprised they didn't come to terms with him given that performance and that he seems respected. Maybe it's as simple as he wanted to go to a team where he could get real minutes, and we wanted to do right by him.
It would be cool if media like maybe glenn or the outfield or similar could get a hold of the outgoing players and do "exit interviews" sort of thing. Now that they're not really bound by the club, I'd be interested to hear some tidbits from them! hah

Reactions: Joe_Cos and LionNYC
I am a little surprised they didn't come to terms with him given that performance and that he seems respected. Maybe it's as simple as he wanted to go to a team where he could get real minutes, and we wanted to do right by him.
Thing is, I don't think he's a free agent. Am I wrong? So anyone can just claim him on waivers and they also might just want a backup.

I should have checked. I didn’t think he had the years.
He spent 2 or 3 years with Orlando getting hardly any playing time on lousy teams and then came to us and has been a valuable contributor for great teams. I always got a kick out of that.

Reactions: mgarbowski