mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
A few weeks ago MLS changed the design and some of the tech behind the Schedules and Scores page.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/schedule

Previously, the menus that allowed you to filter the schedule to show only certain teams, or types of games, or specific seasons, were available always on the page. Now you have to first click on a "Filters" button which reveals the same functionality. In addition, they changed one thing where you used to be able to select only each season as a time filter, and now there is a calendar for more finely tuned direction.

But none of it works, at least for me. I click "Filters" and reveal the menus fine. But when I click, for example, on the "Clubs" menu, it shows the list, and I can scroll to NYCFC or any other team for example, but when I try to select any of them it does not take. Sometimes the item I select turns bold but it still does not work. The same is true for Competitions function. Also, for the first few weeks after the switch, it sometimes worked after I tried to select a club multiple times. But now it seems not to work at all.

These issues appear on both on my Windows 7 machine at my office and my Mac at home. I also tried multiple browsers.

The calendar works at my office but on my Mac at home it won't let me move from one month to another. It has basically rendered the page useless for me and I use it a lot.

Has anyone else noticed these issues? Would a few of you please be willing to try it now even if you never did before? I wrote to their tech support email (found it somewhere) but received no response. I think it is meant just for MLS Live.

Reactions: Ulrich
I tried it and although it doesn't appear to be selected, when I clicked nycfc and then update on the far right the filter was applied. But yes it's definitely not behaving normally. "Worked" in chrome and Firefox.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm on a Mac and it works for me. I can select an MLS club and if I click on a specific date in a month, it works and shows the whole month. I can't just click the forward arrow on a month and make it go to that month.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I tried it and although it doesn't appear to be selected, when I clicked nycfc and then update on the far right the filter was applied. But yes it's definitely not behaving normally. "Worked" in chrome and Firefox.
Thanks. This helps. I tried clicking update at home this morning and it failed, and forgot to try it at the office, but it's working now.
But also discovered the inability to move the Calendar from month to month seems tied to the filters. It is working when I have no filters applied and fails when I select a single club.

I'm on a Mac and it works for me. I can select an MLS club and if I click on a specific date in a month, it works and shows the whole month. I can't just click the forward arrow on a month and make it go to that month.
Thanks. Consistent with the post I was writing and posted just after you did.

Reactions: Vaporizer
It's working properly for me, and I like it.

You have to click "update" after you select a filter, because you can select more than one. And note that when you select an option, the font turns bold, but it's kind of subtle and I didn't notice it at first.

It's working properly for me, and I like it.

You have to click "update" after you select a filter, because you can select more than one. And note that when you select an option, the font turns bold, but it's kind of subtle and I didn't notice it at first.
Thanks. Can you move the calendar to a different month after you apply a filter?

Thanks. Can you move the calendar to a different month after you apply a filter?
Ah, no I can't.

Well, just tried the multiple select feature. Now I see that's why it's set up the way it is . I'm going to accept partial user error responsibility, but also maintain it is poor design. Menu option lists that let you choose more than one option usually do not look or scroll like they do here. These options look like the kind of menu where you pick a selection and it automatically applies. Plus I would swear that a few weeks ago when they changed the design it sometimes did work just to select one filter without hitting Update, as I said above. But who can be sure; memory is funny. And the calendar is broken if you don't set it before you apply filters. But I guess apart from that this mostly works for me now. Thx.

Well, just tried the multiple select feature. Now I see that's why it's set up the way it is . I'm going to accept partial user error responsibility, but also maintain it is poor design. Menu option lists that let you choose more than one option usually do not look or scroll like they do here. These options look like the kind of menu where you pick a selection and it automatically applies. Plus I would swear that a few weeks ago when they changed the design it sometimes did work just to select one filter without hitting Update, as I said above. But who can be sure; memory is funny. And the calendar is broken if you don't set it before you apply filters. But I guess apart from that this mostly works for me now. Thx.

My favorite schedule format is actually on Wikipedia. Condensed, color-coded information with one-click reveal of all the info I'm usually looking for (goals, cards, attendence). And the table they have that shows table position by week is awesome too.

Reactions: Seth and mgarbowski