U.s. To Host 2016 Copa America

Vallos

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Section 205, Row 1
http://www.espnfc.com/copa-america/...to-host-combined-2016-copa-america-centenario

In addition to the 10 members of CONMEBOL, six countries from CONCACAF will take part. The U.S. and Mexico are automatically invited, as will the 2014 Copa Centroamericana winner (also hosted in the U.S. this September), and the 2014 Caribbean Cup winner. The remaining two teams will come from the top four finishers from the 2015 Gold Cup that have yet to be invited, after a playoff involving those four sides.

The ESPN article mentions that cities have not been announced, however this Yahoo article does, with Metlife Stadium hosting the final:

http://news.yahoo.com/2016-copa-america-final-jersey-meadowlands-172022084.html

Reactions: Taurus
The cities were confirmed by US soccer I believe. Unless of course I read the article on bleacher report incorrectly.

I'm really excited to watch this tournament. Hopefully I'll be able to go and watch a game live.

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-america/...to-host-combined-2016-copa-america-centenario

In addition to the 10 members of CONMEBOL, six countries from CONCACAF will take part. The U.S. and Mexico are automatically invited, as will the 2014 Copa Centroamericana winner (also hosted in the U.S. this September), and the 2014 Caribbean Cup winner. The remaining two teams will come from the top four finishers from the 2015 Gold Cup that have yet to be invited, after a playoff involving those four sides.

The ESPN article mentions that cities have not been announced, however this Yahoo article does, with Metlife Stadium hosting the final:

http://news.yahoo.com/2016-copa-america-final-jersey-meadowlands-172022084.html

lol at ESPN, simple twitter search tells you the venues....schedule allegedly will come out today.

I find it odd that the opening match (U.S.) is not going to be held at MetLife. Every major soccer competition I've watch have had the opening match (typically of the host country) and the final match at the same arena.

A friend on the Red Bulls email list just told me that he got an email from them saying RB season ticket holders will get priority access to Copa America tickets at MetLife so sign up now.
Waiting on NYCFC.......

I find it odd that the opening match (U.S.) is not going to be held at MetLife. Every major soccer competition I've watch have had the opening match (typically of the host country) and the final match at the same arena.
I can understand why it's different here. In many such countries, the preeminent city and the capital city are oe and the same, and it's the center of commerce, politics and culture, plus the biggest population center. Plus that is where their primary showcase stadium is.
We're much more spread out here, and have perfectly appropriate stadia all over, and population all over. They want to spread it around more. The 3 US games in the group stage are in Philly (East Coast), Chicago (Central), and Santa Clara (West Coast).

A friend on the Red Bulls email list just told me that he got an email from them saying RB season ticket holders will get priority access to Copa America tickets at MetLife so sign up now.
Waiting on NYCFC.......
NYCFC posted on their website a couple hours ago.

I can understand why it's different here. In many such countries, the preeminent city and the capital city are oe and the same, and it's the center of commerce, politics and culture, plus the biggest population center. Plus that is where their primary showcase stadium is.
We're much more spread out here, and have perfectly appropriate stadia all over, and population all over. They want to spread it around more. The 3 US games in the group stage are in Philly (East Coast), Chicago (Central), and Santa Clara (West Coast).

I get Chicago and San Francisco but Philly is a joke. They hosted the CONCACAF Gold Cup final and could have seen the U.S. if they didn't fuck that up. If anything, the U.S. should be playing in Seattle.

Hopefully the U.S. comes in 2nd in Group A so they play their quarterfinal at MetLife probably against Brazil. Oh, what fun to lose 5-1 again.

And not a single one of those locations is anywhere within a 500 mile radius of where I live when I'm in the US.... :(

Looks like I'll be going to see Mexico play in either Phoenix or Houston. If I'm very lucky I'll be able to secure a seat to watch both of those games. Doubt I'll get that lucky though with the high demand for tickets.

I get Chicago and San Francisco but Philly is a joke. They hosted the CONCACAF Gold Cup final and could have seen the U.S. if they didn't fuck that up. If anything, the U.S. should be playing in Seattle.

Hopefully the U.S. comes in 2nd in Group A so they play their quarterfinal at MetLife probably against Brazil. Oh, what fun to lose 5-1 again.
Grass field vs turf. Easy decision.

Reactions: Fantazma
http://www.mlssoccer.com/copa-america/schedule

June 3 - Group Stage
United States vs A2 Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA

June 4 - Group Stage

A3 vs A4 Orlando Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL
B3 vs B4 CenturyLink Field - Seattle, WA
Brazil vs B2 Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA

June 5 - Group Stage

C3 vs C4 Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
Mexico vs C2 Univ. of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale, AZ

June 6 - Group Stage

D3 vs D4 Orlando Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL
Argentina vs D2 Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA

June 7 - Group Stage

United States vs A3 Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
A2 vs A4 Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA

June 8 - Group Stage

Brazil vs B3 Orlando Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL
B2 vs B4 Univ. of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale, AZ

June 9 - Group Stage

C2 vs C4 Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, PA
Mexico vs C3 Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA

June 10 - Group Stage

D2 vs D4 Gillette Stadium - Foxborough, MA
Argentina vs D3 Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

June 11 - Group Stage

United States vs A4 Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, PA
A2 vs A3 NRG Stadium - Houston, TX

June 12 - Group Stage

B2 vs B3 MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
Brazil vs B4 Gillette Stadium - Foxborough, MA

June 13 - Group Stage

Mexico vs C4 NRG Stadium - Houston, TX
C2 vs C3 Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA

June 14 - Group Stage

D2 vs D3 Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, PA
Argentina vs D4 CenturyLink Field - Seattle, WA

Quarterfinals: June 16 - 18

1A vs 2B
Match 25 CenturyLink Field - Seattle, WA
2A vs 1B
Match 26 MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
1D vs 2C
Match 27 Gillette Stadium - Foxborough, MA
2D vs 1C
Match 28 Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA

Semifinals: June 21 & 22

Winner match 25 vs Winner match 27 NRG Stadium - Houston, TX
Winner match 26 vs Winner match 28 Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

Third Place - June 25

Univ. of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale, AZ

Final - June 26
MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-18_10-45-7.png
    upload_2015-12-18_10-45-7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 469

i think its probably because of the fact US didnt make it to the final that they maybe want to "make it up" to Philly fans by having a US game there? but I am surprised Seattle didnt get US. unless as someone else mentioned, they dont want to play on turf.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Hopefully we can purchase presale tickets to the finals. It doesn't say what dates you can yet.

Hopefully we can purchase presale tickets to the finals. It doesn't say what dates you can yet.
Im sure you'll be able to find out all the specifics when tickets go on sale in February.