UEFA Champions League 2022-23

Wednesday is my day off so I managed to watch the Maccabi Haifa /Red Star qualifier. I feel like we used to have some more Jews on here who at least peripherally followed Israeli football?

I did a semester in Haifa way back when so always look for them to do well. Sadly never made it to a match (only foreign country I've spent significant time in and not done so) There currently star striker is oddly Haitian.

Reactions: JCMore
Group C. Wow.

Really annoyed about the Dortmund situation, only because of "tv rights", so we HAD to be put in group G. Could have been a 50/50 with the pot leverkusen got put into. That's BS in my opinion, but I understand why they had to do it, and I understand how important the money aspect is. It's still annoying though.

Haaland, Delaney, Gundogan back at Dortmund.
Lewandowski back at Bayern.

Gonna be some excellent games. I was really hoping for Maccabi in group C just for the memes, so sad it didn't happen! (though psg and juventus aren't much better of a draw lol)

Reactions: Schwallacus
My Marseille continue to disappoint horribly in the Champions league (going back several years now) and there was also significant crowd trouble. UEFA charges coming against both teams. I'm under no illusions that the hardcore OM fans are angels but at least all the racism charges are against Frankfurt. Eientracht fans caught on tape doing Nazi Salutes .

Our boy, James Sands with the start for Rangers today - interestingly at defensive mid. Might wish he were on the bench as it is already 2-0 Napoli in the 20'.

Mailk Tillman also starts for Rangers.

he hasn't been playing a lot from what I can tell. either coming on 2nd half or unused sub. weird that GvB gave him a champions league start. hope he is performing despite the scoreline!

He played a lot at the start of the season. Less recently. They are already out of it in Champions League, so maybe Gio was playing him at CDM to see what he could give.

So my GF came home just as Harry Kane scored his last second extra time goal. Perfect timing. I jumped up from the couch super excited, turned off the TV and let her in with a big kiss, told her Spurs won! (she had no clue what I was talking about, but pretended it’s something exciting enough to deserve a kiss and played along). Then this morning I see the group standings and can’t make sense of it, since Spurs qualified with that goal and they should be on 10 points. Looked it up and found out about the VAR decision and how it was disallowed. At least I was excited for 20 hours…. Might be longest delayed VAR disappointment in history tho.

So my GF came home just as Harry Kane scored his last second extra time goal. Perfect timing. I jumped up from the couch super excited, turned off the TV and let her in with a big kiss, told her Spurs won! (she had no clue what I was talking about, but pretended it’s something exciting enough to deserve a kiss and played along). Then this morning I see the group standings and can’t make sense of it, since Spurs qualified with that goal and they should be on 10 points. Looked it up and found out about the VAR decision and how it was disallowed. At least I was excited for 20 hours…. Might be longest delayed VAR disappointment in history tho.
A+

Reactions: Joe_Cos and adam
This sets up multiple potential one- liners I can't decide and I'll just let it sit there.

• Sad
Reactions: adam
It stung a bit less not knowing till the next day. I had a bit more of a birdcage reaction:

BBF22864-0180-40F3-A4DE-6B4734398CF5.jpeg

Reactions: JayH
I had a similar--but much shorter duration-- situation, where I had to take a work call, and during that I saw the last second goal on my phone and barely managed to stifle myself, haha, and knocked my phone off my desk... finished the call, did a few other things, and it was only nearly an hour later that I started checking web sites etc. and was... baffled... and then... 😭

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Cos and adam