Valentin Castellanos [Forward]

For more money, sure. But not for us to win the MLS Cup 2022.

Considering we won MLS Cup 2021, I'm perfectly OK with taking a long view and doing what's right for the long-term success of the team. We no longer have the urgency of a team that's never won; we can take a longer view of a team that wants to be in the conversation in the long-term.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Considering we won MLS Cup 2021, I'm perfectly OK with taking a long view and doing what's right for the long-term success of the team. We no longer have the urgency of a team that's never won; we can take a longer view of a team that wants to be in the conversation in the long-term.
Win every year. That’s the objective. What else is there?

Reactions: gbservis and Seth
Win every year. That’s the objective. What else is there?

You want to win every year, but you also want to put your team in a position to win for years in the future. It's pretty hard, if not impossible, to do both.

Short sight.

You can put yourself into a position to win this year, but not be looking four years down the line, and then you get a machine that falls apart pretty quickly.

I get what you are saying about “years down the line”. I don’t believe that LionNYC’s “win every year” statement is short sighted and in any way infers you risk having the machine break down. Would NYCFC have to risk that to fortify for a Suporter Shield/MLS Cup run this season?

I wonder if LAFC is going to be falling apart four years down the line due to bringing in Chielini and Bale mid season to a team already in contention of the Supporters shield. LAFC made those fairly eye popping additions while not sending their best player out on loan. On the surface it’s a pretty striking contrast to NYCFC.

I’m getting the impression that many in the forum think that the club, knowing that Taty was more than likely going leave this season(along with Sands loan, players returning from injuries, Maxi age etc), should have been doing more to strengthen the team if winning a second straight cup was a goal.
They may be right.
It’s also probably much easier said than done. That said, NYCFC are part of a major globally networked football group.

I said before, I’m going to have faith that this organization has a good plan to contend and believe that the Taty move is a good long term move but I understand fans who are questioning the organizations commitment to winning a second straight cup right now.

I’m getting the impression that many in the forum think that the club, knowing that Taty was more than likely going leave this season(along with Sands loan, players returning from injuries, Maxi age etc), should have been doing more to strengthen the team if winning a second straight cup was a goal.
They may be right.
It’s also probably much easier said than done. That said, NYCFC are part of a major globally networked football group.
I agree with this, but it seems like the thought around the club was that the team would still be able to score goals with guys like Heber/Talles filling in, with backfills from Thiago Andrade and GP.

I don't think that part is ridiculous.

The part that the club didn't prepare for, is the return of Keaton's injury and that has been the most devastating. Yes, the club definitely should have done something by now to help fill that void and hopefully they still will (not getting my hopes up though).

I agree with this, but it seems like the thought around the club was that the team would still be able to score goals with guys like Heber/Talles filling in, with backfills from Thiago Andrade and GP.

I don't think that part is ridiculous.

The part that the club didn't prepare for, is the return of Keaton's injury and that has been the most devastating. Yes, the club definitely should have done something by now to help fill that void and hopefully they still will (not getting my hopes up though).
I'm also fine with not bringing in a striker or forward. I don't think the lack of a fee paid for Taty had any causal effect on the quiet window. I agree midfield is our biggest hole to fill, followed by the back line.

But I'm still not past the issue I raised about 2 weeks ago in the roster thread. Since last June, and not counting new injuries or injury returns, we've seen 7 players leave and 3 players join. It just seems like we've allowed the roster to get thin unnecessarily. Admittedly I have no idea what our cap or GBucks situation is.

I also want to point out that no matter how many times the fanbase, including us, speculates that the club signed someone as a DP to save on GBucks and they will buy him down in the summer window to sign someone else as a DP, they never ever do that. In fact, the club has not added a DP in the summer window since 2015, when they added a delayed Lampard and Pirlo. Talles Magno was signed in May last year as part of a Covid-extended Winter window.

But I'm still not past the issue I raised about 2 weeks ago in the roster thread. Since last June, and not counting new injuries or injury returns, we've seen 7 players leave and 3 players join. It just seems like we've allowed the roster to get thin unnecessarily. Admittedly I have no idea what our cap or GBucks situation is.
I think the club was banking on injury returns (which you note above you weren't counting) from Keaton and Tinnerholm as well as perhaps bigger contributions from homegrown players coming into the team and that's kind of bitten the team in the ass.

We've had many conversations about Tayvon here, but I think even which ever side of the fence you are on that, it's reasonable to say that he's still been below expectations for this year. Jasson still doesn't provide much and while Haak is showing some things, there's not enough to be a real impact at this current juncture.

This team needs to make a move. Even if it's just an internal MLS move for some decent depth (think similar quality-wise to Ibeagha but in the midfield).

I think the club was banking on injury returns (which you note above you weren't counting) from Keaton and Tinnerholm as well as perhaps bigger contributions from homegrown players coming into the team and that's kind of bitten the team in the ass.

We've had many conversations about Tayvon here, but I think even which ever side of the fence you are on that, it's reasonable to say that he's still been below expectations for this year. Jasson still doesn't provide much and while Haak is showing some things, there's not enough to be a real impact at this current juncture.

This team needs to make a move. Even if it's just an internal MLS move for some decent depth (think similar quality-wise to Ibeagha but in the midfield).
Well I don't count injuries because in this capped league there is little you can do about it, but on the plus side if they do return at strength it's like free money.
Your points about Keaton, Tinney, Grey, etc. are correct, but it just deepens the mystery. I can see how the club would hope for those developments, and hold off on moves until the summer window after things shook out. But things shook, and it's clear how, and still nothing is being done.
Plus even if Grey, Haak and Jasson* were better this year, they were already on the roster last June, unless that's when Haak went on one of his sporadic loans. So yes, if they develop, it's like a freebie capwise. But it still leaves 7 players out and 3 players in.

* Plus I cannot credit the idea that they expected Jasson to develop much further. I like him, but it seems pretty clear he reached his level.

Well I don't count injuries because in this capped league there is little you can do about it, but on the plus side if they do return at strength it's like free money.
Your points about Keaton, Tinney, Grey, etc. are correct, but it just deepens the mystery. I can see how the club would hope for those developments, and hold off on moves until the summer window after things shook out. But things shook, and it's clear how, and still nothing is being done.
Plus even if Grey, Haak and Jasson* were better this year, they were already on the roster last June, unless that's when Haak went on one of his sporadic loans. So yes, if they develop, it's like a freebie capwise. But it still leaves 7 players out and 3 players in.

* Plus I cannot credit the idea that they expected Jasson to develop much further. I like him, but it seems pretty clear he reached his level.
Yeah, and to be clear, I didn't intend my last post to say that I agree with the club's thoughts or approach I laid out above, just that I think that is what they were thinking.

Reactions: mgarbowski