Where Does Nycfc Rank In Terms Of Spending?

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
ESPN conducted a survey of all teams in major sports leagues and ranked them by total and average salary.

Here's where NYCFC ranked:

Highest average salaries in MLS:
1) Toronto FC - $891k
2) LA Galaxy - $596k
3) NYCFC - $536k
4) Orlando - $500k
5) Red Bulls - $481k

Average salaries in the world
233) Celta Vigo (La Liga) - $553k
234) NYCFC - $536k
235) Bastia (Ligue 1) - $536k

Total Salary ranking
223) Nantes (Ligue 1) - $15.1m
224) NYCFC - $15m
225) Sochaux (Ligue 1) - $14.6m

Where do we rank compared to European leagues?
(I'll compare using average and the best and worst from EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and SPL)

1) PSG (Ligue 1) - $9.1m
2) Real Madrid (La Liga) - $8.6m
3) Manchester City (EPL) - $8.6m
7) Bayern Munich (Bundesliga) - $7.7m
24) Juventus (Serie A) - $4.9m
177) Crystal Palace (EPL) - $1.7m
181) Celtic (SPL) - $1.5m
207) Eintrach Braunschweig (Bundesliga) - $821k
234) NYCFC (MLS) - $536k
238) Livorno (Serie A) - $521k
251) Rayo Vallecano (La Liga) - $454k
252) Guingamp (Ligue 1) - $451k
323) Ross County (SPL) - $62k

So for those interested we spend as much money as a lower end Serie A or mid table La Liga team or Ligue 1 team. Not bad for a brand new team in a pretty young league. I expect us to keep climbing the charts as we go. Here's the original link with numbers if you're interested below.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12910218/paris-saint-germain-tops-global-salary-survey

Oh and this survey includes NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and a few other leagues so it's not as bad as it looks.

Interesting post. I'm not sure I understand how these numbers work though. Given that Villa makes what he makes is that driving up the average? I'm going to guess that we employ several players at or near the league minimum but I could be wrong since I don't really follow salary information all that closely.

Interesting post. I'm not sure I understand how these numbers work though. Given that Villa makes what he makes is that driving up the average? I'm going to guess that we employ several players at or near the league minimum but I could be wrong since I don't really follow salary information all that closely.
Villa ABSOLUTELY drives up the average. That's why Toronto is so high. Those three expensive DP's.

Reactions: Kjbert
For what it's worth this doesn't include Frank Lampard. But yeah… still telling.
There are always top players in sport who make the larger portion of a teams spending. I would be interested in the gap between the highest paid players average vs the rest of a teams average. What sports league would have the biggest salary gap.

We'll never know because MLS never reveals the details of contracts. We might be paying Villa in peanuts or gold bars or oil barrels, we'll never know.

There are always top players in sport who make the larger portion of a teams spending. I would be interested in the gap between the highest paid players average vs the rest of a teams average. What sports league would have the biggest salary gap.

It's probably MLS, in 2013 Keane, Dempsey, Henry, Cahill and Donovan earned 20% of the player salaries.

Last edited:
What is the reasoning behind the fact we know what Kaka's cap hit is (7+Mil.) but not Villa or Lampard. Villa is jokingly listed at a 60k cap hit.