Who Will Still Be On The Roster When We Play Our First Match At The New Stadium?

adam

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 30, 2014
LBNY
I’ll start. Closest guesser gets a few rounds on me at the first match.

Forward: Isi
Mid: sands, ring
D: tin, callens, chanot
K: SeanJohn

Isi is young enough (23) to transfer out into Europe with a couple good seasons here. But he’s been there before. If he’s happy, playing and making $, I think he stays.

Sands would be 22-23. Presumably he’ll try Europe by then, but I’m not sure based on his playing time at the moment.

Ring may be a DP to keep him here. He’d be 30 in 2022.

Tin (26) would be long in the tooth for a RB by then, but I think he has the talent to still be a high performing back in MLS and a team leader as well.

Chanot (26) & Callens (25). Will be the perfect age for an experienced CB pair by then. Chances are at least one leaves to Europe in the next 4 years. And it’s probably Callens. But I put them both down, because 5 years of them playing together (and with ring & Johnson) could make us very very tough along tbe spine.

SeanJohn (28) is still a youngster in keeper years. I just hope he doesn’t get too expensive by playing well. Socernomnics would then dictate we pick up a cheaper keeper who could produce similar numbers.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
LionEDIT: I capitalized the first letters of the title, otherwise it would bother me every time I see the titles of all the threads.

That being said, we're going with 2024ish for opening, right?

If there was an option for nobody, I'd probably put my money on that. Otherwise, Scally.

Reactions: canchon and adam
Luca

n_f_c_barcelona_david_villa-5859563.jpeg

And maybe Gio, too. On his retirement tour.

If you are thinking 2024, that is six years away. That’s a lifetime in soccer years.

The only two guys you would say who are currently on the roster would be Scully or Sands, but if both of them shine then they should get sold to bigger clubs. Maybe (Cavani!) Haak or other of the top academy kids would also have a shot.

But yeah, I’m taking “nobody”.

A different way of posting this question is to ask:

Which player on our current roster will be the last to leave the Club?

I am going to say Johnson. He's 28, so may have another 10 years. He's a really good keeper and teammate, and it is doubtful that he takes his game to Europe.

If you want an outfield player, I would say Callens. Both he and Chanot are really good center backs for us and for our style of play. Both seem happy here, so they're unlikely to leave for Europe. I see both staying for a long while, but I give Callens the nod as he is 3 years younger.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
A different way of posting this question is to ask:

Which player on our current roster will be the last to leave the Club?

I am going to say Johnson. He's 28, so may have another 10 years. He's a really good keeper and teammate, and it is doubtful that he takes his game to Europe.

If you want an outfield player, I would say Callens. Both he and Chanot are really good center backs for us and for our style of play. Both seem happy here, so they're unlikely to leave for Europe. I see both staying for a long while, but I give Callens the nod as he is 3 years younger.

Agree with what you said. But isn't Chanot 26 & Callens 25?

We paid Callens $180,000 as of last years numbers. If he’s interested in maximizing what he could earn, he could be making quite a bit more than that elsewhere.

I’m being way overly optimistic (and have been boozing a little on my way to Vegas) so I’m gonna go with 2021 as our stadium and we will still have Sands, Scally, Ring, Isi, Chanot, Callens, Tinnerholm, SJ, and Stuver.

Reactions: adam
Agree with what you said. But isn't Chanot 26 & Callens 25?

Club website says 28 and 25.

We paid Callens $180,000 as of last years numbers. If he’s interested in maximizing what he could earn, he could be making quite a bit more than that elsewhere.

I suspect he will be making more next season. He's certainly earned it.

Callens has already been to Europe, so he may not feel the same itch that others do to make a move. He’s a top defender in MLS, his next contract will be TAM level, he’s loved by the fans and club, and he’s part of an organization that seems to take care of their own (if they like you - TMac - and even if in the doghouse - Mix). I think Callens is a lifer unless he gets an opportunity to go to a top euro team, and I don’t think that’s out of the question - he’s got the speed and technical ability to do it, it’s just whether a team takes a chance on an MLS defender, which I don’t think they will.

Callens has already been to Europe, so he may not feel the same itch that others do to make a move. He’s a top defender in MLS, his next contract will be TAM level, he’s loved by the fans and club, and he’s part of an organization that seems to take care of their own (if they like you - TMac - and even if in the doghouse - Mix). I think Callens is a lifer unless he gets an opportunity to go to a top euro team, and I don’t think that’s out of the question - he’s got the speed and technical ability to do it, it’s just whether a team takes a chance on an MLS defender, which I don’t think they will.
What's Peru's CB situation? If we keep up this current form and Callens continues to impress, a WC callup couldn't be completely out of the question (again, depends on their CB depth, I honestly don't know about it).

Then if a few things fall his way (unfortunately, probably injuries) perhaps he sneaks a few minutes in and some Euro teams become interested.

What's Peru's CB situation? If we keep up this current form and Callens continues to impress, a WC callup couldn't be completely out of the question (again, depends on their CB depth, I honestly don't know about it).

Then if a few things fall his way (unfortunately, probably injuries) perhaps he sneaks a few minutes in and some Euro teams become interested.
Maybe. But if Peru likes him, it’s easier to commute to matches from NYC than Europe, and travel is a big consideration for NT players. I don’t know if they still do it, but there was a point when Brazil would play all of their friendlies in Europe so the players wouldn’t have to travel for non-competition matches.

Maybe. But if Peru likes him, it’s easier to commute to matches from NYC than Europe, and travel is a big consideration for NT players. I don’t know if they still do it, but there was a point when Brazil would play all of their friendlies in Europe so the players wouldn’t have to travel for non-competition matches.
Very true, I'm just saying, the WC can be a launchpad for players to make the move to Europe (Yedlin), so it could be possible.

Reactions: Ulrich