Who's Jefferson Mena? I Wrote This!

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
http://sb.gg/Bs6v

I'll save you the hassle of clicking the link because IDGAF about views or clicks:

NYCFC have just announced the signing of Colombian defender Jefferson Mena. He was signed to a multi-year deal as a free transfer.

Who is Jefferson Mena?

Jefferson Mena Palacios is a 26 year old Center Back who played for Independiente Medellín in the Colombian top flight league. He made his debut for the team in 2011 at age 22 having impressed in the local Liga Antioqueña de Fútbol. He played 7 games (6 as a starter) between the first team in the top division and the reserve team in the second division his first year with Independiente Medellín.

He cemented himself as a starter in 2012 when he played in 34 games throughout the season for Independiente Medellín. Having suffered an injury in 2013 only momentarily stalled the career of the young center back as he regained his starting position in 2014 proving himself indispensable fixture for the Colombian side.

Jefferson Mena will be a welcome addition to a back line which has been plagued by injuries this season. At 6 feet tall and weighing only 174 pounds Mena makes up for his lack of size with excellent pace and great footwork on the ball.

Together with Facey, Angelino and Iraola NYCFC could feature one of the fastest defensive lines in MLS. One presumes this is something Kreis and his scouts have been looking for given the additions of the older and slower midfielders Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo.

At 26 years old Jefferson Mena could be an anchor in defense for years to come should he prove successful for NYCFC.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Would you say he is basically a straight swap for what we thought we were getting with Mendoza?
To be honest I don't know much about Mendoza so I can't say. But he's just a year older than Mendoza was and fast for a center back. He could be an anchor for years in the back line.