Who's the big brother we should be worried more about?

adam

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 30, 2014
LBNY
Roberto Abromowitz (NYCFC Spanish announcer) just did an interview on Blue City Radio. In it he said Viera was upset because we played the Kosmos on Wed instead of Tues like it apparently was supposed to happen.*. Especially with such a short rest to a Saturday afternoon match. Why was the change made? It would conflict with the Yankees and they couldn't play it live on YES. Viera also said he would have made different personal decisions with an added days rest. So, this really screwed us. (I won't even get into MLS matches scheduled months in advance that are not played on live TV)

So now I ask; early discussions when the team was formed revolved around being a feeder club for MCFC. And Lampard didn't help with that perception. But other then that, it seems financially and structurally (with our development teams) MCFC is out to help us succeed and I hope won't Lampard us again. But, the Yankees they seem out to hurt us. Or at least not give a damn about NYCFC's success. Between the ticketing fiasco, not finding a secondary network to show matches live if there's a YES conflict, now even forcing the team to play a cup match on date the manager doesn't want to to accommodate their network. (I'm almost wondering if we signed a non-compete with the Yankees), Yankees rules and security at the stadium last year. I'm sure there's more instances I'm not thinking of, or know about. But are the Yankees (part owners and landlords) actually on or side? I'm a lifelong Yankee fan, but this routine is getting old quick.

*Roberto may have been on drugs during the interview. In the same interview he also said Mikey Lopez deserves a call up to the USMNT.

the Yankees they seem out to hurt us. Or at least not give a damn about NYCFC's success. Between the ticketing fiasco, not finding a secondary network to show matches live if there's a YES conflict, now even forcing the team to play a cup match on date the manager doesn't want to to accommodate their network. (I'm almost wondering if we signed a non-compete with the Yankees), Yankees rules and security at the stadium last year. I'm sure there's more instances I'm not thinking of, or know about. But are the Yankees (part owners and landlords) actually on or side? I'm a lifelong Yankee fan, but this routine is getting old quick.
According to a few separate sources, the Yankees ownership is seriously involved with NYCFC. They're not just sitting back and taking a hands off approach.

The Yankees are a business, and a very successful one at that. You don't become successful by investing in something because you want to see it fail. They are very, very interested in seeing this club succeed.

While they may not be helping with front office moves, they're committed to this team, to a level which I honestly didn't expect.

As for the TV and the US Open Cup schedule, the latest tape delay only happened because it was a make up game for the Yankees, and the US Open Cup schedule is set by the Cup, NYCFC has no say in it, YES has even less of a say in it.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think the Yankees look after the Yankees, and NYCFC is just a little side-investment that causes Yankee Stadium to generate revenue when it's not being used by the Yankees.

EDIT: I defer to the opinion of NYCFCfan NYCFCfan.

According to a few separate sources, the Yankees ownership is seriously involved with NYCFC. They're not just sitting back and taking a hands off approach.

The Yankees are a business, and a very successful one at that. You don't become successful by investing in something because you want to see it fail. They are very, very interested in seeing this club succeed.

While they may not be helping with front office moves, they're committed to this team, to a level which I honestly didn't expect.

As for the TV and the US Open Cup schedule, the latest tape delay only happened because it was a make up game for the Yankees, and the US Open Cup schedule is set by the Cup, NYCFC has no say in it, YES has even less of a say in it.

I wonder why Roberto Abromowitz said what he did then. Especially if he works for the Yankees.

Roberto Abromowitz (NYCFC Spanish announcer) just did an interview on Blue City Radio. In it he said Viera was upset because we played the Kosmos on Wed instead of Tues like it apparently was supposed to happen.*. Especially with such a short rest to a Saturday afternoon match. Why was the change made? It would conflict with the Yankees and they couldn't play it live on YES. Viera also said he would have made different personal decisions with an added days rest. So, this really screwed us. (I won't even get into MLS matches scheduled months in advance that are not played on live TV)

So now I ask; early discussions when the team was formed revolved around being a feeder club for MCFC. And Lampard didn't help with that perception. But other then that, it seems financially and structurally (with our development teams) MCFC is out to help us succeed and I hope won't Lampard us again. But, the Yankees they seem out to hurt us. Or at least not give a damn about NYCFC's success. Between the ticketing fiasco, not finding a secondary network to show matches live if there's a YES conflict, now even forcing the team to play a cup match on date the manager doesn't want to to accommodate their network. (I'm almost wondering if we signed a non-compete with the Yankees), Yankees rules and security at the stadium last year. I'm sure there's more instances I'm not thinking of, or know about. But are the Yankees (part owners and landlords) actually on or side? I'm a lifelong Yankee fan, but this routine is getting old quick.

*Roberto may have been on drugs during the interview. In the same interview he also said Mikey Lopez deserves a call up to the USMNT.

I don't think the YES part is true. if the YES part is true, why didn't our game on Saturday start at 5 or 6pm, so it could air live? Wouldn't Apr. 23rd's Yankees game been moved to 7pm so NYCFC wouldn't be tape delayed? that part of this makes absolutely no sense. The Cup game was always scheduled for Wednesday since the schedule came out.

I wonder why Roberto Abromowitz said what he did then. Especially if he works for the Yankees.
If the change he's referring to was from Tuesday to Wendesday, for the US Open Cup match, then that's on the US Open Cup and USSF. 5 MLS teams played on that Tuesday, with the rest playing on Wednesday. As for how they choose which teams play what days... that I can't answer because I honestly don't know. NYCFC may have been told they'd play Tuesday and then when the draw was held they pushed it to Wednesday.

For what it's worth, all 5 MLS teams that played Tuesday were west coast teams.

This is interesting because I had noticed a few team got to play on Tuesday and it didn't make sense why all of the matches weren't that evening. An extra day of rest very easily would have allowed the 1st team to play. But we're the Yankees being broadcast Tuesday night? If so, why not YouTube it?

First off, your footnote almost made me snort my drink.
Second, the day after we lost to the Cosmos I had heard -- goodness knows where -- that PV complained about having the game on Saturday afternoon while the RB played Sunday night and had the extra days rest. Maybe it's a potato/potahto thing. But FWIW the weekend game had to be Saturday afternoon because of the Yankees coming back on Tuesday and the 3-day turnaround. I never heard util now that the Cup game was switched from Tuesday to Wednesday because of a Yankee conflict.
As for the larger question, I think both owners are strongly committed to NYCFC but when interests collide they're going to favor the larger club, bigger dollars/pounds, and larger fan bases. And I don't think we could expect anything else. There's been a lot of debate as to whether we would have a team without CFG. Some claim nobody else would have made it happen and others say there would have been someone else to write the big expansion check. I lean one way but it seems that both positions are defensible to some degree. But I really do think it is a near certainty we would not have this team without the Yankee ownership. Another owner would not be any closer to having a stadium and without the Yankee connection I'm not sure we'd have a guaranteed place to play until we do. MLS bent the rules to let CFG come in without a guaranteed SSS deal in place. Part of that was they misread how close they were to a deal with the City, but a necessary precondition was having YS as a surefire backup. Imagine if we had a 3-year lease to play at YS or CitiField with no ownership interest and no SSS deal in sight. That would be a daily ongoing dumpster fire for the team and the league. It's conceivable the team could have ended up in Harrison on at least a temporary emergency basis. I think MLS would never have waived the SSS requirement without the Yankees there for that reason.

First off, your footnote almost made me snort my drink.
Second, the day after we lost to the Cosmos I had heard -- goodness knows where -- that PV complained about having the game on Saturday afternoon while the RB played Sunday night and had the extra days rest. Maybe it's a potato/potahto thing. But FWIW the weekend game had to be Saturday afternoon because of the Yankees coming back on Tuesday and the 3-day turnaround. I never heard util now that the Cup game was switched from Tuesday to Wednesday because of a Yankee conflict.
As for the larger question, I think both owners are strongly committed to NYCFC but when interests collide they're going to favor the larger club, bigger dollars/pounds, and larger fan bases. And I don't think we could expect anything else. There's been a lot of debate as to whether we would have a team without CFG. Some claim nobody else would have made it happen and others say there would have been someone else to write the big expansion check. I lean one way but it seems that both positions are defensible to some degree. But I really do think it is a near certainty we would not have this team without the Yankee ownership. Another owner would not be any closer to having a stadium and without the Yankee connection I'm not sure we'd have a guaranteed place to play until we do. MLS bent the rules to let CFG come in without a guaranteed SSS deal in place. Part of that was they misread how close they were to a deal with the City, but a necessary precondition was having YS as a surefire backup. Imagine if we had a 3-year lease to play at YS or CitiField with no ownership interest and no SSS deal in sight. That would be a daily ongoing dumpster fire for the team and the league. It's conceivable the team could have ended up in Harrison on at least a temporary emergency basis. I think MLS would never have waived the SSS requirement without the Yankees there for that reason.
MLS and USsoccer should have worked together so that teams playing Tuesday then played Saturday and teams on Wednesday played Sunday. That would have made all of the games the most fair.