Winter holiday activities in the city

JCMore

Vamos Celestes
Elite Donor
Dec 4, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
This will be my first December living in NYC and I was wondering if any of you Life long New Yorkers know of fun events, markets, celebrations happening around the city. Doesn’t matter the holiday! I know of some of the bigger more obvious things like the Rockefeller tree, the ball drop, thanksgiving parade, and Macy’s windows. Just curious what other fun entertainment that may be less world renown is out there. Thank you all in advance

Reactions: FootyLovin
Bryant Park skating/winter festival.
The Bronx Botanical Garden has a massive indoor holiday model train exhibit and outdoor lights.
Saks is across Fifth Avenue from the Rock Center tree and not only does great windows but at night has a music/light show on a loop.
Everyone should see the Radio City Christmas show once in their life.

MG nailed some of my favorites. Otherwise, not sure your musical taste but nothing like a New Years show in the city (for example Phish MSG and many others). If you are up for a drive Blaze Hudson Valley is really cool.

Reactions: JCMore
some unique ones this year will be the field of light art installation on the east side around 40th street? i hear they are preparing it now and will be open in mid dec. gingerbread lane is back at chelsea market

-hudson yards has its own massive light decoration for the holidays and looks very cool. also ice skating on the edge.
-dyker heights holiday lights used to be a new yorker thing, but with social media, it's become a bigger tourist thing.
- grand central has a holiday market too which isn't too bad.
- nutcracker ballet at the lincoln center

some unique ones this year will be the field of light art installation on the east side around 40th street? i hear they are preparing it now and will be open in mid dec. gingerbread lane is back at chelsea market

-hudson yards has its own massive light decoration for the holidays and looks very cool. also ice skating on the edge.
-dyker heights holiday lights used to be a new yorker thing, but with social media, it's become a bigger tourist thing.
- grand central has a holiday market too which isn't too bad.
- nutcracker ballet at the lincoln center
these are good, thanks! My brother and his wife and kids (8 and 11) are coming to visit during the holidays from Portugal and I didn't know/forgot about some of these.

And yeah I'd say the Whitney/Chelsea Market/High Line/Hudson Yards/Manhattan West (ice rink) would be one good day.

Reactions: moogoo and JayH
If kids are involved, Bronx Zoo has some fun stuff as well (lights etc.).

Bryant Park skating/winter festival.
Can be crowded if you go at a peak time, but even just a walk-through is fun. And be sure to stop by Wafels & Dinges while you're there.

There are few things more magical than NYC during / right at the end of a major snowfall. No cars out. The plows haven't gone through yet. It is breathtaking beautiful and one of the quietest, most peaceful moments you will find in the city. I'm partial to Central Park and the Avenues / Streets that border it as you get both the city and the park scapes. But that may just be because that's what I know from living on the upper west. I would think any park and/or major monument of NYC would be equally surreal.

Enjoy it while the magic lasts. It doesn't take long for the magical white snow to turn into brown slushy mess.

Wednesday before Thanksgiving all the Macy's parade balloons are prepped and inflated on CPW. Go see them the night before Thanksgiving. This used to be a way to beat the crowds on the parade day/route. I don't know how crowded it is on Wednesday at this point.

Reactions: JayH
I've got Porter House and Nutcracker at Lincoln Center coming up. Not a bad way to kick-off the season.

Reactions: JayH
I've got Porter House and Nutcracker at Lincoln Center coming up. Not a bad way to kick-off the season.
Enjoy! That reminds me of another sweet gem when the snowflake display at Time Warner Center lights up and plays music at certain times in the evening (assuming they still have that).

Reactions: DeGrozz
Because I'm a bit of a crazy person, this thread got me thinking more broadly. And because there is nothing that doesn't get better with a spreadsheet ...

Insider's NYC

At the risk of redirecting this thread a bit, I'm welcoming any and all insider NYC (and environs) tips on any time of year seasonal things to do that are a little off the obvious.

Reactions: JCMore and Joe_Cos
I took my in-laws to Dyker Heights last night and we all got a really good kick out of that! Two nights ago we went to a light show at the Brooklyn Botanical garden and had a great time with that as well. Today we will be ice skating at Rockefeller. I think it’s gonna be a little to cliche and touristy for me, but I’m trying to keep an open mind. :)