Winter Olympics

Reactions: Schwallacus
For those wondering, the original tweet, which was taken down, gave out the result of the men’s half pipe about 15 minutes before it was shown on NBC. Except, it wasn’t the correct result; some idiot intern had thought the standings after two rounds was final. So, they took the tweet down. Still, the initial reaction was hilarious - at least to me.

I hate the NHL for ruining one of the the best events. Any Olympic competition without the best of that game available is pointless.

I hate the NHL for ruining one of the the best events. Any Olympic competition without the best of that game available is pointless.
Do you believe in miracles?

I agree it is annoying not having the NHL players there. I am sure Bettman wanted the players there to get free advertisment for the league, but they had to make up the 50 cancelled games, they couldn't extend the season as the arena have already booked events post NHL playoffs. If a player tested positive or was in close contact, they have to isolate for 14 dasys so teams could lose star players for an additional two weeks. That's tough call for the league. It pains me to defend Gary Bettman.

Russia's unintentional sabotage of the CCP Olympics by having a cheating meltdown, that also exposes the child abuse prevalent in Women's Figure Skating, is perfectly satisfying.

Watching that event, it really did feel like a form of child torture. That is a sport that just needs to be completely cleaned out.

I love the Olympics -- especially the Winter Olympics; the sports are almost universally a blast. But this has been an awful Olympics for so many reasons. So much cynicism in putting the Olympics in China. The IOC is the worst.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Watching that event, it really did feel like a form of child torture. That is a sport that just needs to be completely cleaned out.
I was not aware until the past week of how terrible that sport has become. As I understand it, the currently expected jumps put too much strain on the athletes' bodies, and the only way to perform at that level without injury is to combine the weight of a 12 year old girl with the muscles of a 23 year old woman, and they get that by trotting out doped and starved 14-16 year olds. It is hideous.

Reactions: Gotham Gator

I love the Olympics -- especially the Winter Olympics; the sports are almost universally a blast. But this has been an awful Olympics for so many reasons. So much cynicism in putting the Olympics in China. The IOC is the worst.
Second worst to FIFA?

I did hear an interesting explanation of the reason the Russian skater was allowed to compete. Apparently there was such a delay in testing her sample that they still had not tested her backup sample - the "B" sample. Failing both is necessary to suspend someone.

I don't know the details and perhaps this is already well known, but I hadn't heard it before.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I did hear an interesting explanation of the reason the Russian skater was allowed to compete. Apparently there was such a delay in testing her sample that they still had not tested her backup sample - the "B" sample. Failing both is necessary to suspend someone.

I don't know the details and perhaps this is already well known, but I hadn't heard it before.
I just knew she failed a test from a December sample, whose results did not come back until the middle of the Olympic games for some reason.

Last edited: