Wrist Watches

JCMore

Vamos Celestes
Elite Donor
Dec 4, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
I just got married last weekend and I borrowed my dad’s Shinola watch for photos because the only watch I own is an Apple Watch. I felt the Apple Watch just wasn’t timeless. Now that I have a little extra cash I’m thinking about purchasing a new watch for nights on the town or date night. I’ve been looking at Shinola because well, I liked the one I wore, but I wanted to ask if y’all have some suggestions or pieces that you recommend.

Last edited:
I just got married last weekend and I borrowed my dad’s Shinola watch for photos because the only only watch I own is an Apple Watch. I felt the Apple Watch just wasn’t timeless. Now that I have a little extra cash I’m thinking about purchasing a new watch for nights on the town or date night. I’ve been looking at Shinola because well, I liked the one I wore, but I wanted to ask if y’all have some suggestions or pieces that you recommend.
Congrats on getting married!!!

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge on watches, but will also be following this thread to see what people recommend. Always wanted to get into watches, but never knew where to begin.

Reactions: DeGrozz and JCMore
Congrats on getting married!!!

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge on watches, but will also be following this thread to see what people recommend. Always wanted to get into watches, but never knew where to begin.
I’m in a very similar boat! Never knew I wanted a nice watch till I felt classy wearing one haha.

Reactions: DeGrozz
Congrats JC!

I do have opinions here. I've shopped for watches and had them gifted to me, but there is a far better option in my experience. By far my favorite watch I've ever owned was one I bought on vacation. This was 25 years ago in Italy. My wife and I bought his and hers Italian watches for less than we would have paid here. The main benefit though was that those watches weren't just beautiful pieces, they took us back to Italy every time we looked at our wrists.

You don't need to be going as far as that though. There will always be some kind of opportunity for this kind of purchase, no matter where you go.

Are you going on honeymoon anywhere?

Reactions: DeGrozz
Congrats JC!

I do have opinions here. I've shopped for watches and had them gifted to me, but there is a far better option in my experience. By far my favorite watch I've ever owned was one I bought on vacation. This was 25 years ago in Italy. My wife and I bought his and hers Italian watches for less than we would have paid here. The main benefit though was that those watches weren't just beautiful pieces, they took us back to Italy every time we looked at our wrists.

You don't need to be going as far as that though. There will always be some kind of opportunity for this kind of purchase, no matter where you go.

Are you going on honeymoon anywhere?
Thank you! Estamos en Puerto Rico ahora! Mojitos and laying in the beach is the majority of our plan. I guess I should see if we can find some local watches here haha

I love the looks of Shinola watches. I especially love the look of what used to be called their Alpine. I do think the one I liked had a smaller face than the 47mm I linked.

Shinolas are expensive for being a quartz watch -- you could probably find a comparable looking mechanical watch for ~5x the price (obviously less if used), or a Hamilton, which I think have that same nice, simple, classic look for 30% less. It all depends on what your price point is.

I remember looking for a nice mid-range mechanical watch a few years ago and I stumbled across this awesome imgur album which showed 'nice' watches and their budget equivalent.

If I get a few minutes after the kids go to bed I'll try to find you the link.

Congrats on the marriage. Lots of happiness you to you guys.

Edit: the ALBUM

Last edited:
I love the looks of Shinola watches. I especially love the look of what used to be called their Alpine. I do think the one I liked had a smaller face than the 47mm I linked.

Shinolas are expensive for being a quartz watch -- you could probably find a comparable looking mechanical watch for ~5x the price (obviously less if used), or a Hamilton, which I think have that same nice, simple, classic look for 30% less. It all depends on what your price point is.

I remember looking for a nice mid-range mechanical watch a few years ago and I stumbled across this awesome imgur album which showed 'nice' watches and their budget equivalent.

If I get a few minutes after the kids go to bed I'll try to find you the link.

Congrats on the marriage. Lots of happiness you to you guys.

Edit: the ALBUM
That comparison is fascinating. The Italian watches we bought were Gucci, definitely priced among the inexpensive column in your album. It's been a long time but I think they were $600 for the pair. I had friends with Rolex and other really expensive watches. I wouldn't have traded with any of them.

Reactions: Schwallacus
That comparison is fascinating. The Italian watches we bought were Gucci, definitely priced among the inexpensive column in your album. It's been a long time but I think they were $600 for the pair. I had friends with Rolex and other really expensive watches. I wouldn't have traded with any of them.

Yeah - the difference between a high-end watch from a watch company and a fashion designer company watch is that the fashion designer company watch is generally designed to look beautiful on the outside, but on the inside it's just a tiny battery operated clock that is assembled at a mass-producing watch factory. The high-end watch is a complex contraption of gears and springs that uses mechanical movement to keep precise time, but often look not so different than a watch 10s of thousands of dollar less. We wear watches as accessories, but the parts no one really sees are what separates the elite watches from the everyday watches.

In a lot of cases, wearing a high-end watch is like driving a Ferrari that looks like a nice Honda Civic and only the owner knows what the car can do because we're always driving through a neighborhood at 15 mph. It's an interesting market.

My advice (as a reformed watch addict) is to get something you think looks great that you can afford, regardless of how high or low the price is.

Expensive quartz watches that don't have precious stones or precious metals are kind of a rip-off and automatic watches are kind of a pain if you're not going to be wearing them every day.

If you liked the look of the Shinola you borrowed from your dad, then I would go for one of those. They are high-quality watches and just short of what I'd consider too expensive for what they are.

Now if you want to get a quartz watch that looks much more expensive than it is, get one with a "second-hand sweep" which is when the second hand seems to move smoothly rather than ticking. Until recently, that was something that only automatic movements were able to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCMore
Bulova Accutron Spaceview. I rest my case.

F4EA140F-2C88-41C8-8F22-309829223776.jpeg

Reactions: FredMertz