Yankees, Sinclair, and Amazon Acquire YES

Vallos

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Section 205, Row 1
This is not team news, but related.

I cut my cable last month and switched to using Kodi via Xbox One. Its been a hit and miss for sports, even more so for NYCFC, so I am hoping Amazon (since I have Prime) will stream Yankees and NYCFC. The article above does not mention when Fox Sports Go will be culled but presumably will continue to stream until the Yankees season is over and maybe switch to another platform before the start of the NBA season.

Last edited:
This is not team news, but related.

I cut my cable last month and switched to using Kodi via Xbox One. Its been a hit and miss for sports, even more so for NYCFC, so I am hoping Amazon (since I have Prime) will stream Yankees and NYCFC. The article above does not mention when Fox Sports Go will be culled but presumably will continue to stream until the Yankees season is over and maybe switch to another platform before the start of the NBA season.

If that’s the case, only match affected would be the finale @ PHI on decision day.

Reactions: Kjbert
So is the thinking that we don’t know how we’re going to watch games next season

Reactions: Shwafta
So is the thinking that we don’t know how we’re going to watch games next season

I would think YES will continue to carry it. And if your provider still carries YES you can watch it there. If they don't, hopefully now YES can negotiate a new deal (they were dropped a few places because of being unable to negotiate do to sale). But where it's streamed is totally up in the air. Could move to the YES website, or Amazon, or they cut a deal with another provider like Youtube TV or who the hell knows. But it's important, because it feels like 1/4 of our games can never be found live on YES to begin with.

Reactions: Kjbert
Despite the speculation above, I don't think we really have any idea when the streaming agreement between YES and Fox will terminate. It did not necessarily end with the sale. It could easily have one or more years left to run before YES becomes free to seek a new streaming home. It's possible also that both parties agreed to terminate the streaming deal sooner as part of the sale, but we don't know either way.

Last edited:
He hates seeing that Theo Walcott is going to miss a sitter based on Twitter reactions and then actually getting to see it happen 20 seconds later, knowing the buildup led to absolutely nothing. (All love K Kjbert )
The lag in streaming has led me sometimes to stay off of Twitter during sports events.

This story is likely just limited to Sunday NFL Ticket, but last year, I bought Sunday NFL Ticket and streamed it through my smart TV. When you're watching a game on there, it will provide scoring updates in the top of the screen that you can click on and it will show you the play.

Well last year, I was watching the Steelers game, and there was some sort of lag between the feed for the game and the highlights, because the fucking app showed me at the top that there was a touchdown in the game, before it happened. It was for the Steelers, so I was happy, but also pissed that I didn't get to "experience it live".

The lag in streaming has led me sometimes to stay off of Twitter during sports events.

This story is likely just limited to Sunday NFL Ticket, but last year, I bought Sunday NFL Ticket and streamed it through my smart TV. When you're watching a game on there, it will provide scoring updates in the top of the screen that you can click on and it will show you the play.

Well last year, I was watching the Steelers game, and there was some sort of lag between the feed for the game and the highlights, because the fucking app showed me at the top that there was a touchdown in the game, before it happened. It was for the Steelers, so I was happy, but also pissed that I didn't get to "experience it live".
The lag is annoying, I will agree. I've gotten used to it, though it is funny when I'm in a WhatsApp chat with other NYCFC supporters, some of whom have the game live on cable vs. those of us that are streaming it. The live cable viewers will respond and then a minute later all us streamers will respond to said action. Basically, the reactions to the same event take over 1-2 minutes to be expressed. We try to have the live people hold off for 30 seconds, but sometimes the reaction just takes over.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
DirecTV generally seems to lag standard cable by 5-20 seconds. I first noticed this during the 2000 Subway World Series. I'm watching on DirecTV and live in an attached house. My neighbors are watching on Time Warner, and I would hear a cheer (we were both rooting for the Yankees) before the pitcher started his windup, and know that something good was about to happen. I ended up kind of liking it. It helped that apart from a general happy or sad reaction, I did not specifically know what was coming.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
He hates seeing that Theo Walcott is going to miss a sitter based on Twitter reactions and then actually getting to see it happen 20 seconds later, knowing the buildup led to absolutely nothing. (All love K Kjbert )

I don’t even need to see it. I just know as soon as the ball gets near him.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I started watching ESPN on my Roku TV, phone stream is 45-60 seconds behind regular cable and Roku is another minute or so behind the stream.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I stream through YouTubeTV instead of having cable, and I have to think about lag issues all the time. Keeps me out of the shoutbox and off Twitter. Texting with friends seems okay

My friends know. The rule is let me text first about a big play.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
My worry is that we’re being set up for a subscription stream to access games

Reactions: adam
My worry is that we’re being set up for a subscription stream to access games
That will be playing a dangerous game of chicken because they could effectively kill their TV marketing money if they go that route. If I decide to drop my tickets, I sure won’t be paying to watch them separate from my cable bill/ESPN+.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
There’s no chance I would pay extra to watch games. I get 17 games with my tickets. Half of our away games are on national television.

Who would pay for that