2015 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread

Well, it's not clear whether he was going to go home regardless, but I suspect he was sent back because he's not yet on form after the hamstring injury.

On another thread, I've been reminded that Jordan Morris is out with a stress fracture, so he's not available. That leaves Agudelo as the only forward who can replace Altidore. The other option would be to move Zardes up and bring in two midfielders.

So, it's official.

Altidore, Morales, Garza out.
Gordon, Corona, Beasley in.

Surprised to see it is Alan Gordon who subs in for Jozy. I forgot he was even on the provisional roster.

Very surprised that Besler was not added - especially since Alvarado has sucked and Brooks is out for the next round on Yellow Card accumulation.

So, it's official.

Altidore, Morales, Garza out.
Gordon, Corona, Beasley in.

Surprised to see it is Alan Gordon who subs in for Jozy. I forgot he was even on the provisional roster.

Very surprised that Besler was not added - especially since Alvarado has sucked and Brooks is out for the next round on Yellow Card accumulation.
Besler was whining in January when JK called the team out for fitness. I'd be surprised if you see much more of him.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
By the way, the USMNT website doesn't even have a bio or picture up for Gordon, and they identify him as playing for San Jose instead of the Galaxy. Clearly as big a surprise to them as to the rest of us.

Gordon has one cap, which was in a WC Qualifier in 2012. He was also on the squad for the knockout stages in the Gold Cup two years ago, but did not play.

After last night's games, things are considerably clearer for the Gold Cup. If you missed it, Jamaica beat El Salvador despite being a man down. Costa Rica continued its sluggish play, tying Canada.

The USA, Haiti and Panama will all advance from Group A, finishing 1-2-3 in that order.

Jamaica has won Group B, meaning it will play Haiti in a quarterfinal in the U.S. side of the draw. Costa Rica finished 2nd in Group B, meaning it will play the 2nd place team from Group C in the other half of the draw. El Salvador is in 3rd place on 2 points, but needs Guatemala to tie Cuba to advance (not likely).

Group C finishes tonight. Trinidad and Tobago play Mexico to see who tops the group, with T&T finishing first with a win or draw. First place from those two gets Panama in the quarterfinals, while second place gets Costa Rica. Guatemala plays Cuba and with a win will advance to the quarterfinals. Guatemala will almost certainly finish 3rd, unless they win, Mexico loses, and Guatemala can make up an 8-goal differential.

The upshot of all this is that Mexico's half of the draw looks a lot tougher than one would have thought, but with Haiti and Jamaica playing well, nothing is a given.

Here is the most likely setup. The only difference with any real potential is that Mexico and Trinidad & Tobago switch places.

USA ----|
GUA ----|-----|
. . . . . . . |-------|
HAI ----|-----| . . . |
JAM ----| . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . |-------
. . . . . . . . . . . |
CRC ----| . . . . . . |
TTO ----|-----| . . . |
. . . . . . . |-------|
PAN ----|-----|
MEX ----|

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
After last night's games, things are considerably clearer for the Gold Cup. If you missed it, Jamaica beat El Salvador despite being a man down. Costa Rica continued its sluggish play, tying Canada.

The USA, Haiti and Panama will all advance from Group A, finishing 1-2-3 in that order.

Jamaica has won Group B, meaning it will play Haiti in a quarterfinal in the U.S. side of the draw. Costa Rica finished 2nd in Group B, meaning it will play the 2nd place team from Group C in the other half of the draw. El Salvador is in 3rd place on 2 points, but needs Guatemala to tie Cuba to advance (not likely).

Group C finishes tonight. Trinidad and Tobago play Mexico to see who tops the group, with T&T finishing first with a win or draw. First place from those two gets Panama in the quarterfinals, while second place gets Costa Rica. Guatemala plays Cuba and with a win will advance to the quarterfinals. Guatemala will almost certainly finish 3rd, unless they win, Mexico loses, and Guatemala can make up an 8-goal differential.

The upshot of all this is that Mexico's half of the draw looks a lot tougher than one would have thought, but with Haiti and Jamaica playing well, nothing is a given.

Here is the most likely setup. The only difference with any real potential is that Mexico and Trinidad & Tobago switch places.

USA - - |
GUA - - | - - |
| - - - |
HAI - - | - - | |
JAM - - | |
| - - -
|
CRC - - | |
TTO - - | - - | - - - |
|
PAN - - | - - |
MEX - - |
This is awesome for us. if we can't beat guatemala and haiti/jamaica on home soil, by a comfortable margin, something is very wrong. Hello finals

Reactions: mgarbowski
This is awesome for us. if we can't beat guatemala and haiti/jamaica on home soil, by a comfortable margin, something is very wrong. Hello finals
Agreed, but Haiti looked pretty sharp against us in the group. Well, except for their finishing. But they had lots of good chances, especially on counters. And finishing can change in a heartbeat, even if it's just luck.

Holy crap Cuba just beat Guatemala and we're playing them in the Quarterfinals.
Guatemala had nothing to play for and therefore were very poor.

Don't underestimate them. They can and will park the buss all the way to a penalty shootout.

Mexico and Trinidad are currently tied at 0 in the 30th minute. Mexico must win to clinch the group.

Mexico scored a mere minute after my original post! Lol

I've been trying to figure out how full strength Cuba is. It looks like their 6 players and coach that we're having Visa problems finally showed up, but they've lost 4 players to defections.

Words can't describe what just happened during the Mexico vs. Trinidad and Tabago game!

4-4 tie between the two teams.

Trinidad has won group C and will face Panama in the quarterfinals.

Words can't describe what just happened during the Mexico vs. Trinidad and Tabago game!

Couldn't be happier. T&T takes the last corner kick with typical Mexican fan lasers, plus a barrage of debris and they put it right in.

Couldn't be happier. T&T takes the last corner kick with typical Mexican fan lasers, plus a barrage of debris and they put it right in.
As a Mexican and a fan of El Tri I was disappointed with the result. The Mexican defense was porous and enabled Trinidad to easily get into the box.

As a soccer fan I couldn't have enjoyed this game more! It had everything you could possibly want in a game; cards, goals, own goals, and even a last minute goal! It was awesome!

Words can't describe my confusion at Cobi and JP (I think it was him) talking about how T&T won all three matches and Fox put up a graphic showing them with 9. I questioned my sanity for a solid hour after the game until I saw the highlights on SC.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
What an entertaining nail biting game! (Trinidad &Tobago VS Mexico) I was rooting for the Trinidadians all the way. The level of competition is better and better as the years come by. Big Papá Tri is no longer dominating the region and its not going to be easy for the US to win but... Arriba , arriba USA.

Last edited:
Words can't describe my confusion at Cobi and JP (I think it was him) talking about how T&T won all three matches and Fox put up a graphic showing them with 9. I questioned my sanity for a solid hour after the game until I saw the highlights on SC.

Mr. Midas, I cannot imagine you being confused or being an air head like me! must be heat stroke:D