2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basing any lineup on essentially depth players is not a wise strategy. Base a formation on the best players you have, (Which sadly should not include Allen), and places that we are weak, like RW/RM, LB, CDM, CB etc you get new starters.

Iraola's prorated pay was $200,004 that means his normal salary is probably like $400k, Though we won't know that is the case for sure until next year. For $400k Iraola cannot be a rotation player, he needs to start every game.

Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
Iraola's prorated pay was $200,004 that means his normal salary is probably like $400k, Though we won't know that is the case for sure until next year. For $400k Iraola cannot be a rotation player, he needs to start every game.
If 2015 Iraola is the "Normal" Iraola, meaning pushes forward nicely and gets beaten defensively a lot (albeit a better set of CBs/DM would help), then I can't justify $400k for a player like that. Yes he was hurt, and yes he was coming off a euro season, but the production was meh at best, especially for the Cap hit. His position shouldn't be taking more than $200K/yr at most. Now if 2016 Iraola perform like a Spanish-version Roberto Carlos, then breaking the bank at $400K seems about right.

Unless he flat out can't cut it in MLS, Iraola should be starting. Solid player from La Liga at $400k, but this year wasn't his best. I'm planning on him being the starting RB.

just throwing this out there. Does anyone follow NASL? are there any other diamonds in the rough out there? maybe find another poku or a better defender?

Reactions: Kjbert
Unless he flat out can't cut it in MLS, Iraola should be starting. Solid player from La Liga at $400k, but this year wasn't his best. I'm planning on him being the starting RB.

I agree. My only concern is the minimal level of defense from him that can be tolerated and covered for? Even if he's at his best I'm not really sure how much defending FBs in La Liga are asked to do. Admittedly I watch a lot more EPL than La Liga but from what I've seen guys like Marcelo, Dani Alves and Jordi Alba do a lot more attacking than defending. Granted I'm sure it works a lot better when you are playing next to guys like Sergio Ramos, but is it also a league style thing that makes is possible? Even if we shore up our CB and CDM issues can we win in MLS with a FB whose primary skill set is offense?

Reactions: Ulrich
11220869_517301591776635_4981894692064120691_n.jpg

Who might the youngster above Erik?

So did you source your comment on more than "gut feeling" or anything more substantial than what everyone already thinks?
I obviously can't speak for Miles (the other guy) but it's mostly based off conversations we've had with people around the team since they're obviously closer to CFG and know what's really going on behind the scenes in NY and Manchester.

I agree. My only concern is the minimal level of defense from him that can be tolerated and covered for? Even if he's at his best I'm not really sure how much defending FBs in La Liga are asked to do. Admittedly I watch a lot more EPL than La Liga but from what I've seen guys like Marcelo, Dani Alves and Jordi Alba do a lot more attacking than defending. Granted I'm sure it works a lot better when you are playing next to guys like Sergio Ramos, but is it also a league style thing that makes is possible? Even if we shore up our CB and CDM issues can we win in MLS with a FB whose primary skill set is offense?
As you alluded, you can't judge La Liga by Real Madrid and Barca. Watch the FBs of the teams they are playing against. You'll see plenty of defending.

The 9 open spots is difficult to quantify since it's entirely unclear if the injured players (Brandt, Iraola, G.John) are part of the "active" roster or if they will be included later thus reducing open spots by 3 to 6 total. Would be great if they're already included and NYCFC really does have 9 slots to fill as that would give them a lot of maneuverability with whom to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.