2016 Mls College Superdraft

Possibly Harrison left Man U to lessen the competition he was confronted with. Apparently based on many reports, he's the most talented offensive player in the draft who may have trouble getting playing time at NYCFC because of an overload at his position(s). So maybe he takes 2 or 3 years to fully integrate into the first 11. He frequently talks about home, meaning England, leading me to assume he has a yearning to go back there. This could mean we put a lot of effort and capital into developing him and as soon as he becomes successful, he wants to go play for Sheffield Wednesday or some such club. I think grandiose thoughts of building the future of NYCFC around him may be wishful thinking leading me to conclude that moving up in the draft to get him is probably not worth it.

But then again, I could be totally off base and he could become the MLS version of Messi for 10 years. Time will tell.

We draft him...keep him for a year or possible send him to Man City EDS for a year or two...then get him back when Frank/Pirlo and the overcrowd in the midfield is gone so we have Mix, Poku, Harrison in the midfield...then he signs with Man City and is in Europe for the rest of his career...maybe he makes a twilight return to NYCFC

Playing devil's advocate here - where does Diskerud fit on this team?

As for this season there really isn't a "right" answer. It'll be PV's job to figure out where Mix fits in this puzzle. However, Mix has youth on his side, which can't be said by many of our other midfield options. I believe if we traded mix away, it would be a short-sighted deal. We can't deny Mix's talent, and we can probably say the same about Harrison, but Harrison is much more of a question mark. If a trade up occurs, it shows me that PV and co is going all in on this kid.

Good take. I think trading Mix to move up is very unwise.

That said, I really think Jack Harrison is going to be the Cyle Larin of this draft. Harrison is the youngest player in this draft class by a year and a half, and won the award for the best college player in the nation. I really think Harrison is the clear #1 and probably the only player in this draft with the upside to be Mix-esque or better. Vincent and Yaro at #2 and #3 are as close to surefire MLS squad guys as you'll find in the MLS draft, but not worth shuffling for. Might as well take a chance on Campbell or Tarbell.

I think you mean National H.S. Player of the Year.

I think it's worth trying to trade up, and let's remember that means giving up our 4th for their 1st or 2nd and adding something extra to compensate that team for the difference in value between the two picks. Maybe that's a guy like Ballouchy or T-Mac and adding some allocation money to cover their salary for a year. I don't think it would or should mean anything more than that.

As for this season there really isn't a "right" answer. It'll be PV's job to figure out where Mix fits in this puzzle. However, Mix has youth on his side, which can't be said by many of our other midfield options. I believe if we traded mix away, it would be a short-sighted deal. We can't deny Mix's talent, and we can probably say the same about Harrison, but Harrison is much more of a question mark. If a trade up occurs, it shows me that PV and co is going all in on this kid.
Exactly, where does he fit on this team has to be answered with one eye on next year and beyond. He may not fit best positionally on the team this year, but once Lamps and Pirlo are gone, things open up dramatically for him.

Isn't Villa a winger?

Technically he's more of a LW/LF but with a team without a true striker, he seems to be in a more CF role. We have too many mids to play 3 up top anyway.

Reactions: Kjbert
Villa can play the wing but he has pretty much played the CF for his whole club career except when moved to Barca and moved over to LW.

Harrison is a Winger/CAM type player ala Messi. He is not a 4-3-3 midfielder.

Playing devil's advocate here - where does Diskerud fit on this team?
just because kreis didn't like him and used him out of position, doesn't mean he is worthless. He plays well for the national team against top players in the world. He fits very easily into a three man midfield next to Pirlo.

From a marketing standpoint, national team players are EXTREMELY valuable to MLS teams. There are a lot of fans in the country who are national team only fans, and that is a bridge to get them to MLS. He is not going anywhere. CERTAINLY not in a trade in the awful superdraft.

just because kreis didn't like him and used him out of position, doesn't mean he is worthless. He plays well for the national team against top players in the world. He fits very easily into a three man midfield next to Pirlo.

From a marketing standpoint, national team players are EXTREMELY valuable to MLS teams. There are a lot of fans in the country who are national team only fans, and that is a bridge to get them to MLS. He is not going anywhere. CERTAINLY not in a trade in the awful superdraft.
To be fair to Kreis on this, I don't necessarily blame him all that much for playing Mix out of position. We had a logjam where his natural fit is and in order to get those players on the field at the same time, someone had to sit or play out of position.

Mix is very talented, talented enough that he can be quite flexible and play other positions (though he does become less effective). If you were going to play a midfield last year with Lamps/Pirlo/AJ/Mix/TMac, I feel like you have to play Mix out on the wing and let the other guys fit into where they naturally go.

Now, I did have an issue the several times Mix was on the bench and guys like Ned or TMac or AJ received significant PT.

It wouldn't completely surprise me to see another season here where Mix isn't in his natural fit. Lets see what PV comes up with though.

Andrew Jacobson played mix's position (poorly) all year last year. So that is the choice he made. I want AJ on the field more than i want Mix.

I bet you $10 that we will be without Lampard or Pirlo in over 50% of our games this year (injuries, Euros, turf, midweek games). Meaning he's absolutely a valuable CM in a 4-3-3 or otherwise. And a clear everyday starter in 2017.
Bet taken!

Reactions: sbrylski
I bet you $10 that we will be without Lampard or Pirlo in over 50% of our games this year (injuries, Euros, turf, midweek games). Meaning he's absolutely a valuable CM in a 4-3-3 or otherwise. And a clear everyday starter in 2017.
I agree with you but we will still be paying DP money and using up all of our allocation dollars on a guy that will not be starting most of the time in big games.